How did you learn?

Missing-Link

looking forward
Reaction score
it might seem like a silly quetion...but i was woundering..

how did you guys learn how to make psy?

i mean some of the synth programing involved is not straight foward....

and geting the bass right is difficult too... not to mention the other bits...

just woundering if it is a case of listen listen listen...or did ppl help too.

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
Getting the basic synth noises is actually a fair bit more straightforward than it might first appear, especially once you've got a handle on how the things actually work, and why the sound changes the way it does when a knob is turned. It's a lot easier to program weird electronic noises than to get a subtractive synth to mimic a "real" instrument (which I think requires a lot more ability).

Having said that, what I do know I got with a significant helping hand from others, so a tip of the hat to the Error Corrective boys, Uncle Colin, Alex EVP and Scorb in particular! :Grin:

J.

Oscillating_Pixie_Pie

TRANNNNNNNNCE CARRRRRRRD!
Reaction score
i aint had such good help as you j, but i have had some very kind people show me the way of production having sed that i would say its not a case of lisern lisern lisern but more a case of try try arhhhhh!, because clearly the more time you spend trying the more your going to get back

your mum

Reaction score
I haven't. I've released a couple of trance tunes with an old friend under the Unison name (the ones on Etnicanet Phase 2 and Harmonia Records Butterfly effect), but they were both shit. I don't like over complicatd leads coming in and out, I am not keen on the 16th bassline on every track. I like more minimal tunes. Breakbeat is a much better platform for me, since the music is more about solid beats and total freedom with what you can do with the bass. For me psychedelia is not about lots of swirling, wishy washy leads and drug samples, but a few carefully place notes of phat bass, with space to enjoy the slamming beats and reverbs of the handfull of elements that make up a track.

Missing-Link

looking forward
Reaction score
whitedog said:
i was taught by aliens.
well,,next time you see them give them my name :Smile3:

well its only right that i should share too... for me it is a case of reading, listening and writing tracks ...i mean i think it is coming along...:Smile3: but never actually had any input buy ppl... i used to like my techno and i find that i always have a 303 line on the go somewere in a track...

i buy a cd and have a mix and then get all exited and wak on logic to write a tune... :Smile3:

ichabod

Reaction score
I've never really been shown how to do anything by anyone else.. I have learnt by trial and error plus picking up tips from here and isratrance (isratrance does actually contain some useful production posts as well as all of complete nonsense). Obviously listening to lots of psytance with a critical ear has been imjportant too!

I would really like to be given a hand/taught some new tricks by someone with top notch production skills, especially with the mastering/mixing side of things. I guess its about time I posted some of my attempts up here!

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
Oscillating_Pixie_Pie said:
i aint had such good help as you j

Just to clarify, that wasn't me doing a psy-trance namedrop! Some of the most useful help I've had has taken the form of a quick 5-minute gibber in the chillout room... :Smile3:

J.

M

makdaddy

Mainly self taught, dabbling over the years, lots of reading, practising and ALOT of trial and error.

also met Ady Scorb around 2003 ish and there followed a number of drunken weekend sessions, learned alot, had a laugh and "green eggs" was born :icool:

Dragongurl

zooming blue
Reaction score
Friend started teaching me Cubase, but alas after 3 lessons hecouldn't come over anymore and I was moving out my spot! I even had half a track that I so wanted to finish, but all the sounds I wanted to make I didn't have the knowledge for!

SOMEONE TEACH ME PWEASE!! :iconfused I'm a person that needs to be shown stuff only once and I got it. I can't learn that monster program all by myself.....is scary!!

AEON

dipthong mong
Reaction score
just plenty hours in front of screen with spliff :Smile3: and help from forums... people are so keen to share knowledge, it's really quite amazing. i haven't ever worked with anyone else unfortunately and i'd love to, but there's still so much to learn.

the main thing is that it's an ongoing process. i don't think anyone has ever 'learnt' production because there are so many intricacies and new technological happenings that it's more a learning process, an evolution of education. i certainly feel like i learn something every time i sit down to make music :Smile3:

dragongurl, i don't know or own cubase but i can teach you what i do know about ableton
:Smile3:

M

makdaddy

ooh yeah, did forget to mention all the good info from this forum too

top notch

Dragongurl

zooming blue
Reaction score
Hey cool aeon, albleton looks just as good to produce in.....someone said alot more user friendly. Sometimes cubase looks quite daunting! Will mention it tomorrow at the brighton bash! :Wink3:

floatyhippyflower

Free spirit, lost soul.
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I don't know if anything I've ever written qualifies as psy - certainly none of it is trance - but I studied production for a couple of years. Actually I came away having learned next to nothing (primarily due to severe shortage of studio time, group sizes, crap equipment etc) but I had a friend who showed me enough to get by once we were finished the course and I have to say I learned more from him across the few tracks we worked on together than I did in all the time I spent in official study. Of course I was taught on VST originally so SX to me is just a pure mindfield nowadays - I just don't bloody get it! - so I'm going to have to go through the learning process all over again at some point methinks.

AEON said:
there are so many intricacies and new technological happenings that it's more a learning process, an evolution of education. i certainly feel like i learn something every time i sit down to make music

Just noticed this comment. Zackly mate. :iyes:

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
Reaction score
Self taught as well :Smile3:

But then with super advice along the way this last year: big bigup to Mr. Colin of OOOD for being (almost :Wink3: ) omniscient!

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
Reaction score
Yeah *reads further* - forums like Isra and this old place have really helped provide knowledge too..

But then, as a producer, i recon you're never truly completely happy with what you've created - which makes you want to learn more...

It's a twisted sort of hopeless addiction :P

andrew

open your mind
Reaction score
addiction - yes - definitely - but better than other forms of addiction i've attempted.

forums - this and isra - basically whenever i find / hear a useful snippet of info it goes into a folder called 'music production / theory'

people - colin, chris organic, nik from error corrective, tron, and encouragement from family and friends

and then me - wanting to develop my own style - from listening to lots of other types of dance - eg electro - etc etc and wanting to incorporate new sounds into psy