How did you learn?

AEON said:
dragongurl - certainly :Smile3:

can i also mention Tweakz Guide? coming from a classical (i.e. ultimate analogue!!!) background i found it really helpful.

http://www.tweakheadz.com/guide.htm

Seen as I also came from a classical background, that would be most helpful, thanks!! :iyes:

no probs :Smile3: look forwards to meeting y'all tomorrow!!! :Smile3:

Pretty much self taught as well. Reading forums like Isratrance & this one helped a lot too although in the beginning i would only undertand 10% of what people were talking about. It took a year of just messing around with fruity loops before i decided to get serious about music production. Bought myself some equipment & finally moved on to cubase.

Would love to sit down with other producers though since we all have different working methods. Hope some of you guys in london will be up for a tutoring session this summer!!

self taught, with help from psyforum :iyes:

i did music production at college but we spent more time learning about the music business than music tech. it did however give me LOTS of spare time to sit in my room for days at a time writing music and researching on t'internet etc
i think the thing that taught me most about music was getting spannered and dancing all night every weekend :Grin:

I'm pretty much self-taught - I'm one of these people who reads the manual before I even turn the thing on for the first time; when I bought Cubase in 1993 for about six months the ring-bound manual was my bedtime and bathroom reading material. Also, in about 1985 or 1986 I started buying buying Sound On Sound and the magazine that was variously known as Home & Studio Recording, Music Technology, MT and finally The Mix before it folded; I've probably missed less than10 issues of SoS in that time, and I still have all of them here :blink: as well as all the others, including loads of Future Music and Computer Music magazine. I guess most of what I've learned comes from experimenting with what I read in those mags, although I honestly don't remember not knowing about MIDI or basic studio techniques - my first 4-track recordings from around 1985 came complete with reverbs on sends and the full 10-tracks-bounced-to-4 that the medium could offer. More recently I've had tips from from Misted Muppet, Hujaboy, Tron, Pop Stream, Chris Organic, Beatnik, and a few other people.

Oh by the way, a couple of people mentioned tuition - Cam and I both offer our services in this regard :Smile3:

Should also mention that my previous thanks was primarily technical advice. My appreciation for the genre and what could be done with it came with a hefty dose of patient tutelage by Full Lotus, with whom I did my first track... ahh, memories... :Grin:

J.

i must admit i hve taken a few courses!!! in music but they seeem to concentrate on the pop and live element of music... i was a little bit of an outcast:Smile3:

I'd say I've learnt far more from here then anywhere else, although I do have a massive book which taught me a lot about synth structure called 'the computer music tutorial' by Roads, but this was more about getting to grips with reaktor, this was quite an advanced book.

I used to hang around goatrance.free.fr in the old days, but I had a different avatar then, producing tracks under the name Scalar or ManicMagicMushroomMan, I picked up loads of useful tips from Colin and Elysium.

The reason I rate this place over Isra for advice is that there is a real core of people here who _really_ know there stuff. There are great producers crawling out the woodwork here. 9 times out of 10 when someone gives some advice it is first hand experience, and differences of opinion are normally very amicable and actually interesting as opposed to aggresive and pointless. The advice isn't only limited to psy, there are loads of informed opinions on just about any genre you care to mention.

Bsaically, this place is gold.

Speakafreaka said:
The reason I rate this place over Isra for advice is that there is a real core of people here who _really_ know there stuff. There are great producers crawling out the woodwork here. 9 times out of 10 when someone gives some advice it is first hand experience, and differences of opinion are normally very amicable and actually interesting as opposed to aggresive and pointless. The advice isn't only limited to psy, there are loads of informed opinions on just about any genre you care to mention.

Bsaically, this place is gold.

:dito: absolutely :iyes:

like everyone has said, forums here and at isratrance are a great resouce. do a search for whatever topic you're after info for and you'll find it. heaps of people here have helped me but dont know about it, just because i go poking through old threads to find whats been said. i really liked reading ott's thoughts on topics too, but his account seems to have been deleted? what happened to him?

another good way is to find a simplish song you like and do a cover, trying to approximate the sounds they make. try to pick one that isnt heavily based on samples too.

its also kindof important not to get bogged down by too many synths. imo its a good idea to pick just 1 good synth (maybe zeta or albino) and try and do all your basses/leads/pads from it. that way you'll really get to know synthesis, and ultimately be able to create any sound you're after.

spork said:
i really liked reading ott's thoughts on topics too, but his account seems to have been deleted? what happened to him?
He wanted to stand an outside chance of finishing his second album proper, so he asked eT to delete his account.

As I understood it, he actually had his internet disconnected in order to get Bumcraft finished!

J.

Missing-Link said:
i must admit i hve taken a few courses!!! in music but they seeem to concentrate on the pop and live element of music... i was a little bit of an outcast:Smile3:

It's all useful though I reckon.

I sometimes flick to dodgy radio stations just to hear how things are being put together in wildly different genres. I reckon it's quite interesting to sometimes listen to music you don't necessarily like, but with a view to deconstructing the production techniques.

my first kit was the DR Groove drum and bass thingy.....that crudely introduced me to the concept of sequencing and midi. Went on to Cubasis, Acid, Reason and then Logic on PC. I learnt alot of programming but engineering and production quality was quite shabby. Got Cubase SX and spent about a year locked in a room and learnt the program. Then i studied Recording Arts for 3 years, learning about engineering and Pro Tools and mastering.....One of my best teachers was Alessandro Cortini (Nine Inch Nails) who taught me synthesis....as far a psy goes ive learned a few tricks from Psymmetrix and Tron..and Colins legendary cubase sidechain compression tutorial changed everything for me...:Wink3:

Back