How do ya like your breakz?

fabs

Lost member
Reaction score
hello all,
just wondering if you guys had any thought on the emergence of acts that produce psy-break type of tune (digitalis, Blowfish, Halycon, Space Monkey,..)? Personnaly I love it, Psy and Breaks being my favorite genre, Psy-breaks is just rocking!
And...(here comes the self promotion thing :Smile3: ) tonight and every thursday I am hosting a live radio show on www.inthesound.com at 9PM GMT so come on and tune in!

Rorymonster

Jaberwookie
Reaction score
I was very excited about the idea of psybreaks before I had actually heard any made, and started making some tunes myself as a result. But i didn't get it sorted quick enough, and now have a few almost finished numbers whilst I've moved onto other things! A shame.
I can't wait until there's a breaks stage at some psy parties!! :speaker:

FlameBoy

Reaction score
fabs said:
hello all,
just wondering if you guys had any thought on the emergence of acts that produce psy-break type of tune (digitalis, Blowfish, Halycon, Space Monkey,..)? Personnaly I love it, Psy and Breaks being my favorite genre, Psy-breaks is just rocking!
And...(here comes the self promotion thing :Smile3: ) tonight and every thursday I am hosting a live radio show on www.inthesound.com at 9PM GMT so come on and tune in!
I love breaks stuff but was very dissappointed by the Timecode psybreaks compilation, which was very dark and industrial, and not at all the vibe I was looking for. How would you describe the style of the psy-breaks acts you mention above?

BTW will try to remember to give your radio show a listen tonight! :Smile3:

FlameBoy

FlameBoy

Reaction score
Rorymonster said:
I was very excited about the idea of psybreaks before I had actually heard any made, and started making some tunes myself as a result. But i didn't get it sorted quick enough, and now have a few almost finished numbers whilst I've moved onto other things! A shame.
I can't wait until there's a breaks stage at some psy parties!! :speaker:
There was at the Glade festie last year :Grin:

Wasn't all psy-breaks, just breaks in general, but the vibe fitted in really well with the rest of the festie I thought

FlameBoy

Goz

Psy-Richard
Staff member
Reaction score
Recently had Rhoca recommended to me (Used to be one half of Necton) ... very psy influenced breaks, im told ... haven't heard any of his stuff though :Sad:

Neko

Meer Kat
Reaction score
The Hill is alive with the sound of music
Breaks tent at Glade was great! Had a good stomp there at various points over the weekend!

damion

Pound Shop Alex Petridis
Reaction score
what in tintern abbey are you talking about?
there'n an awesome breaks tune by Feuerhake of all people -- on Inspirazza compilation on VP records

the whole album's not breaks (its nice prog) but this one track's a belter

evilwill

definitely
Reaction score
i'm really interested in the idea of psy breakbeat - i love the twisted sounds of psy but i also really like interesting beats which don't rely on the doof-doof-doof approach of trance.

most of the tunes i've written, especially the most recent, have sections of breakbeat in them, and i really like being able to switch from breaks to a more generic trance beat in the same song. (dunno if people agree though!)

i have to say though, i haven't listened to much psy breakbeat. are there any completely (or mostly) breakbeat psy albums? could anyone recommend any cos i'd like to have a listen to some samples...

krelm

Junior Members
Reaction score
My first post here. :Wink3:

fabs said:
hello all,
I think we're on the same page here. :Smile3: I'm a longtime psy-freak and maybe even moreso a breaks freak nowadays. :ph34r: I'm seeing more of a demand amongst proggy DJs for some breaks flavor, so now we just need a some producers and labels to get the sound out. I have been getting my fix for the psychedelic side of break from some stuff in the breakbeat/nu-skool scene. Artists like Introspective, Karton, Silencer, and a few others get me rockin'. The new compilation on VP Records called Inspirazzia has a really nice psy-flavored breaks track from Feuerhake. Worth checking out - and I think he plans to do more in the style. :Smile3:

I'll definitely have to check this out! It looks like I read this post about 3 hours too late to tune in, but I'll definitely check it out next week.

And a little bit of related self-promo here - I am also hosting a regular internet broadcast on www.eccentricbeats.com. Every 1st & 3rd Monday of the month, from 7-9pm GMT. I always manage to bust out some breaks on the show - actually it's tough for me to go 30 minutes without it. :Grin: It's called Broken Symmetry. Check it out if you got the time (next broadcast is this coming Monday).

elf

Junior Members
Reaction score
fabs said:
hello all,
completey forgot to listen to your show Im afraid! :unsure: :rolleyes: . I'll try and remember next week, but I don't suppose you'd want to put a psybreaksy mix up on the dj mix board would you? That would be very :cool: .

fabs

Lost member
Reaction score
FlameBoy said:
I love breaks stuff but was very dissappointed by the Timecode psybreaks compilation, which was very dark and industrial, and not at all the vibe I was looking for. How would you describe the style of the psy-breaks acts you mention above?

FlameBoy
well mate I would describe as pretty dark and industrial!! so you got that one right actually Blowfish have done some stuffs not so dark and more funky

fabs

Lost member
Reaction score
elf,
hi mate no worries i will remind you next time
you can visit inthesound.com and dwld yesterday show (available on monday), its not 100% psy breaks but there are some in there and you should also like the other tracks anyway ;-)

elf

Junior Members
Reaction score
cool, I'll d/l it when i get home. :Smile3:
I was wondering actually how much breakbeat gets released on cd? Is it pretty much all mainly vinyl?
Iv just ordered some cdj 100s but i really want to learn to mix the two genres together eventually (psy and breaks that is).
Don't really fancy having a 4 deck setup, although it would look pretty damn cool! :P

fabs

Lost member
Reaction score
elf,
yes you are right, all the good break stuffs are on Vinyl and all the good psy stuffs are on CDs!
i personally have 2 Technics 1210 and 1 Technics CD and a laptop, and you are right, it does look good :cool:

mr.cism

naughty jesus
Reaction score
glad to hear im not alone in my taste,should be some boundaries pushed at this years gnomelands festival,we are also hosting a stage of assorted breaks and eccentric live acts to boot,hope it will be recieved with a smile and a bounce!!

josh

marathon solo-sessionahoy
Reaction score
fabs said:
elf,
yes you are right, all the good break stuffs are on Vinyl and all the good psy stuffs are on CDs!
i personally have 2 Technics 1210 and 1 Technics CD and a laptop, and you are right, it does look good :cool:

although when i went to fabric for the breakspoll night back in feb - i was amused to see soul of man, meat katie, plump djs, and may of the others using cdj1000s :Grin: (if only cos my mate is a breakz purist and is snobby about psy-djs using 'easy' cd decks to mix on so 'twas fun digging him)

your mum

Reaction score
How do I like my breaks? Plump DJs, Meat Katie, Slyde, Soul Of Man, Elite Force, Koma & Bones, Christian J, Vigi & Nectarios, General Midi, Madox, Santos, Stereo 8...etc
Are you playing any of that stuff on your show?