How do you chop a vocal?

In sound forge i have used a Grapper/Snipper for this technique

nice effect, i am using this myself in some of my tracks but i am using a korg emx1, on that i turn the amp depth to full in the modulation part and choose a suitible waveform - its nice to flip between the original sample and the modulated one messing with other effects too you can create some beautiful sounds.

hope this helps
id love too hear the result

...gate, reverb, filter(s) (in that order, i think)...though still having difficulty perfecting this also....synching effect to tempo through midi helps, as does having physical knobs to twiddle...as u were

Colin OOOD said:
...but the DestroyFX Advanced MIDI Gate is much better.

Do you mean this one, which seems to be very old and is just called MIDI Gate
or this one which is called advanced midi gate but is by someone else???
or is there another all together... :blink:

The DestroyFX one... "MIDI Gater".

To my ears it's tighter than either the Steinberg one or the Advanced MIDI Gate (which is also in my VSTPlugins folder, hence my confusion :Wink3: ) Also with the DFX one it's easier to match the levels of gated and non-gated sections, as you can double up the level its output simply by doubling up the notes you send it.

In a sampler like kontact you can phisically controll which bits you want cut/repeated or a much more fun way is the trance gate on this http://www.camelaudio.com/camelspace.php
Its great for making complete chopped rifs out of vocals.

mine jumps back and forth from the midi on mode to the midi off mode for no reason at all. Even if I automate it to the position I want it to be in, it still jumps to the wrong one.

Bloody useless.

Latest update of SL 1 - but the tool has been 'mature' since at least version 5 of VST I think. I have no problems with any other plugin's displaying this kind of erroneous behavior. Apart from *meh* Spektral Delay which doesn't work right with any sequencer I have.

No - I think the most likely cause is Midi Gate.

June Rashava / Black Mamba said:
Hello.

Can anybody help me out here.
I really need to know when you have a vocal, how you cut in it? Like if you have a voice going Aaaaaaaahhh how do you make it go Aaaahh ahh ah ahhhh?
Is it a vocoder or? And if its that the case, then which onces can you recomment?

I hpoe you know what i mean :happy:
Hi,
Maybe you can try the delay Lama VST.
http://www2.hku.nl/~anerdz/cgi-bin/harrie.cgi?name=dl02

Hope it helps :Wink3:

SX3.02 over here (on PC).

Strange - always worked fine for me.

Wonder why you had problems?

But - if you have other ways and means I guess it's a non-issue.

i personally use audio, and just snip with the scissors... maybe not as quick sometimes, but works great with no midi hassles... and i would think hard before using the soundforge gapper/snipper, that things pretty wank...
either chop the audio or use the midi gate...imo...

My favorite gating vst plugin is <a href=http://www.sonicbytes.com/gatr/gatr.htm>gatr</a>. Easy to use and sounds great.

-Shehryar

I played around with the MIDI Gate on Cubase SX 2 and wasn't very impressed. It didn't seem to be very accurate, but then again I'm probably not using it properly.

Anyone got a cubase file with a good example of how to use the midi gate (i.e. which setting to use and how to use them)?

Back