how does scorb do it

ravefeind

Junior Members
hey peeps just been listenin to the scorb album and it is fuckin phat as fuck i wish i could do what scorb does hes such a cunt oh yer does ne 1 know what sound effect i should use to get that really metally sound and to make it swirl round and stuff cheers

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Uhh - you may want to amend that, he's actually a really kind and helpful guy who'll answer any question you care to ask him. After a couple of chats with him my synth work came on in leaps and bounds.

OK - Metallic sounds, I suggest something like Synth1 (free! do a web search) or DiscoDSP Discovery. Use a basic saw wave, set up a saw wave of the second oscillator and dial in about 1/3 to 2/3rds on the FM knob. Yu should hear that nice raspy sound coming in quite nicely.

"Swirling around" is usually due to a bit of panning and there are various methods with which to do this, either with an insert or send effect, or by automating the pan controls in Cubase/Logic.

J.

e}{o

bla bla bla
You are right, thanks for showing me in the right direction Psychodelicacy. It seemed, by the way the question was put forward, that ravefeind here wanted a magic formula (those that don't exist). Practice (and studying) was the only thing I could think of under such circumstances.

Hope you shape your sound the way u imagine it Mr.

M

makdaddy

Top bloke, friend and collaborator, he is a member here and you prob wont get a response by calling him a cunt... also J's hit the nail on the head !

The panning can also be done using a tremelo in logic's "modulation" effects, set it very deep and the frequency of the pan can be automated to make it spin faster and slower

M

makdaddy

evilwill said:
so he is.. only 1 post though, slack :Wink3:

you and jamez_23 are odt yeah?

scorb rocks, melikes...

haha yeah 1 post, what a cunt! :lol:

Yip me n _23 are ODT :icool:

ravefeind

Junior Members
i didnt mean it in a bad way but he does make some of the most cutting edge psy-trance out there and the way he lays his tunes out and the sounds he gets r incredible

I WANNA BE THAT GOOD LATER ON

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
I'd advise getting the old wave editor and having a close look at the bit you mean, can be very informative.

Trying to copy a Scorb and D Species kick drum and bass engine taught me one hell of a lot. In fact I'd go so far as to say it was a turning point in my sound. Of course, I didn't get anywhere near as fat, but I did get much further then I had been!

Usefully both Scorb and D Species tracks often have bits in them where it quite easy to see what is going on I find, and they both sound amazing soooo I'd take a good long look at the waves and have a think about how it might have been done. Most sounds are loads less complicated then they first appear to be.

If you like Scorb, I'd also advise you get hold of 'In The Hands Of The Randomiser' which is an all time underated classic album.

antic

Junior Members
Speakafreaka said:
If you like Scorb, I'd also advise you get hold of 'In The Hands Of The Randomiser' which is an all time underated classic album.

so true! it's like the only dark-psy album I can listen to without having a headache :iyes: :ibiggrin:

Scorb is in my opinion, along with Paul Wright, THE top UK trance producer around...cant be touched...really want to meet him one of these days...

btw what does ODT stand for?

jamez_23

Blah
cameron-NSE/Mood Deluxe said:
Scorb is in my opinion, along with Paul Wright, THE top UK trance producer around...cant be touched...really want to meet him one of these days...

btw what does ODT stand for?

ODT ?

Good question. We were thinking of calling ourselves "Oddity" - but decided that ODT sounded better.

We have since decided that it stands for "Old Dirty Trancers" :icool:

EDIT : HA ha ha .... just noticed makdaddys post ....... dont listen to him ...... old dirty trousers .... pffttt :lol: