How to work out all these together?

kodomo

Junior Members
Reaction score
-I am buying a tb-303 after years of dreaming.
-I do not want to give up the software drum-machines. If you have any recommended ones, please tell me so.
-I may buy some synths or soft synths. I am open for recommendations
-Dont know if I have to go for a hardware sampler or Logics sampler is good enough. What would be the advantage of going for a hardware sampler except the cpu usage, I have several akai and roland sample discs waiting to be explored.
-I am a mac user.
-I have a M-audio firewire solo interface.
-I have studio monitors.
-I have an alesis quadraverb effect machine.
-How do you think all this can work together. What do I need, a mixing desk? or what else?
-I am planning to record live instruments as well maybe not more than 2 at the same time.
-I think Logic looks like the right software for me. If you know Logic which tutorials(where can I find them) or guide books do you recommend?

Some of these I have inheritedç some are from old live band days, but I was a drummer and now this is a whole new approach. I am willing to sit seriously and work. I would be grateful for some recommendations and some ideas, answers

M

makdaddy

hardware samplers are a pain in the arse with all that data transer n stuff and Logics ESX24 samplers have a Veeery low CPU usage being native to the application n all that :Smile3:

If yyou have any hardware instruments / effects you want to include in your tunes, you will need a mixer.

kodomo

Junior Members
Reaction score
well I was feeling the same about the sampler, but wondered what is the advantage as I ve never udes one :Smile3: thnkas for that.

why do I buy the 303. Cause that is the very cause of me getting into all this music many years ago (listening), both ambient and trance, and I truly love the sound, to the extent of just listening patterns on it that I ve written (on emulators) without any other sound running :Smile3:

M

makdaddy

kodomo said:
-I am buying a tb-303 after years of dreaming
i would ask the same question - why >? but you already answered that!

kodomo said:
-I do not want to give up the software drum-machines. If you have any recommended ones, please tell me so.
Native instruments Battery is popular one, but i tend to stick with my drums in the ESX24's or maybe Kontact if i am after particular filters etc

kodomo[size=2 said:
][/size]-I may buy some synths or soft synths. I am open for recommendations
there's already quite a few threads covering this here - have a dig around!!

kodomo said:
-Dont know if I have to go for a hardware sampler or Logics sampler is good enough. What would be the advantage of going for a hardware sampler except the cpu usage, I have several akai and roland sample discs waiting to be explored.
see above - having a graphical interface to do all your editing in is a wonderful thing

kodomo said:
--I am a mac user.
-I have a M-audio firewire solo interface.
-I have studio monitors.
-I have an alesis quadraverb effect machine.
well thats 3/4 of your hardware requirements covered

kodomo said:
-How do you think all this can work together. What do I need, a mixing desk? or what else?
Yes - you will need a mixer for sure

kodomo said:
--I am planning to record live instruments as well maybe not more than 2 at the same time.
then you will need Mics, and for condenser mics you will need a desk with phantom powered XLR inputs

kodomo said:
-I think Logic looks like the right software for me. If you know Logic which tutorials(where can I find them) or guide books do you recommend?
your Logic manual is always a start & no doubt the logic website will be of tremendous help, theres a few Logic users on here too. I was 95 % self taught with a few essential pointers from Scorb and OTT^ was also a great help too

kodomo said:
I would be grateful for some recommendations and some ideas, answers
that's what this forum is for!! any questions? get posting !!

lil'wizard

...full spectrum magic
Reaction score
you will need a midi 2 cv converter to get the 303 (or any pre MIDI synth) to sync with your song... I use a kenton pro 2 but this is old now... I think they make better ones.

I love the 303 too sure it's noisy, expensive un-practical... but it's a historic piece of kit with a unique sound... the re-birth emulation is not bad at all but there is something about using the real thing... I have collected a a few analogues synths over the years & the emulations have never been quite the same... You get a certain amount of wildness from real analogue... as well as a LOT of bass. the noises & clicks & hisses & pops? that's just part of the charm.... to me it's a big diff having some real analogue in with all this digi sound quality... it's subtle but real...

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
I'm working without a traditional mixing desk in the studio at the minute. My RME Hammerfall gives me 8 analogue inputs and I just drive all the sound sources through there and mix in Cubase.

Haven't found a need for a control surface so far. Maybe if and when I start using more acoustic sources...

I used to have a Yamaha 01v, but it became redundant and I part-exed if for the Hammerfall.

Live is different - I use a Mackie 1202vlz-pro. Just the right size for what I do. If I'm working with someone else, we usually use a second desk and sub-mix.

kodomo

Junior Members
Reaction score
well if get a mixer like that, then i should connect it to my audio card right. But then how can logic differentiate channels and get each channel of mixer to its own chanells, my audio card has 1 input. Should I get a sound card with that many inputs???

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
Various ways of doing it.

You could multi-track record external sources individually, or you could get a card with more inputs, or you could get a card with more outputs and mix externally. Depends what best suits your way of working.

M

makdaddy

Even if yuor audio card only has 1 set of inputs, you can direct the signal of any channel on the mixing desk down to the channel that will be returning to your computer.

kodomo

Junior Members
Reaction score
Hmm I guess I found something suitable.
Tascam FW 1082
I connect my auido and my midi, connect my effect machine and it will send data to each track of the logic, and furthermore can control it as a control surface for Logic too.
So it looks like this now

My apple G4 running Logic
connected to
Tascam FW 1082
connected with
nord lead 2
tb-303
audio source 1 (flutes most probably)
audio source 2 (other live instrument)
alesis quadraverb
out to my monitors

Excuse my lack of knowledge but I have another question
Lets assume i made a tone and played a melody
it can be recorded in midi or audio is it?
If it is midi how can I have the sound of nord
If it is audio how can I make specific changes as I wont have the notes on a piano roll on screen
Shall I play midi information only, then correct as I want it to be and then send the midi data to nord and record it through audio at the same time

M

makdaddy

record it as midi 1st, correct any wrong notes / quantise / record any continuous controller info (filters etc) until you have it correct then record as audio :Smile3:

jackrabbit

pulse width fay
Reaction score
Before you buy a tb303 check this out http://www.audiorealism.se/ablpro/shot01.jpg
The next stage of 303 evolution, even more versitile than a devilfish and is set for release any time now. Mac compateble too. :ibiggrin:

kodomo

Junior Members
Reaction score
i already have audiorealism bassline and I love it
but this looks like a good improvement
it also looks like the tb303 i was getting is going to someone else
:Sad:
i dont wanna sound like an elitist or anything
the sound generated by those analog machines
+ the controlability + my unknown love and adoration for them
looking at a synth i wanna play with it
looking at the computer screen flattens me out :Sad:
less interaction is involved or so i feel so
thousands of years of evolution for using my body
is confined to my right hand and a few fingers
(unless you have a decent controller)

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
kodomo said:
the sound generated by those analog machines
+ the controlability + my unknown love and adoration for them
Some folk feel differently sometimes... (clicky)

looking at a synth i wanna play with it
looking at the computer screen flattens me out :Sad:
I can empathise with that, but get a decent controller and you're mostly there... plus you won't have to faff about making sure the audio is perfect on every beat!

J.

kodomo

Junior Members
Reaction score
Hmm very nice thread that you pointed out there
I will be making tests and trying the reason out for serious
and look for a decent controller
and lets see what happens then

nomis

bumbalumba cruiser
Reaction score
There are other ways of getting the original tb303 sound:

http://www.ladyada.net/make/x0xb0x/resc.html

especially the 3031 from oakley. i cant tell the difference :Grin:

If your not into building one yourself (needs experience) maybe you can pick up a used one?