hurricane rita - potential consequences?

D

dave arc-i

after katrina damaged 9 refinerys in the new orleans areas the US upped production in the houston area facilities + many of the refugees from new orleans were evacuated to houston also.

thirty years ago i spent about five weeks in the galveston and houston area's and even then it was a major chemical and oil refining industry area. travelling up the houston ship canal it was very obvious that the whole area was very low laying in relation to sea level

we have seen opec make 2 million further barrels available to the world oil markets to counter the current $67 a barrel price - it has been stated in the media that this means the opec producers are running "at almost full production." factor in to this that the production paltforms in the gulf of mexico have been evacuated.

......... and then what happens if the US also lose a further 10% of their refining capabilites due to the storm - already being described as stronger than katrina and on top of that Texas is a major centre of oil extraction in the states - the whole thing is starting to look a bit messy

damion

Pound Shop Alex Petridis
Reaction score
what in tintern abbey are you talking about?
messy indeed..... i would have thought that given its status as an economic centre, Texas is potentially a much worse global-market victim.

however part of me can't help question whether the size and potential damage of Rita has been exaggerated so as to make Bush, FEMA, etc look much more prepared and capable after the last storm...?

lurk

Stunning Cunt
Reaction score
damion said:
however part of me can't help question whether the size and potential damage of Rita has been exaggerated so as to make Bush, FEMA, etc look much more prepared and capable after the last storm...?

there's part of me that has been thinking that too... all will become clear in the next few days.

on the other hand, anyone would be excused for thinking that god is punishing them for something. wonder how long it takes for osama to claim responsibility :Wink3:

Monkey Do

#1 Internet Toughguy
Reaction score
I'm touching myself as I write this post.
damion said:

Watching the news last night I commented to Deadgirl that isn't it fortunate for GW Bush that he's got a second chance so soon to get it right this time.

grokit23

God mintsmak
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I reckon that they're bound to have a much better emergency response in GWB's home state, that or making it appear that they have (whilst dealing with a much lesser emergency) will placate the peeps into thinking that GWB may actually give a damn about them.

Personally, I'm sending Reiki energy and encouragement to Rita, blow baby blow. :Wink3:

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
Reaction score
Can't see Bush letting his home state go the same way as Louisiana, there's not as many poor African-Americans there. It's like busses... no Category 5 huricanes for 30 odd years, then 2 come in the same year. Japan had a record number of typhoons last year. Mother Nature's trying to tell us something.

whitedog

Lunar SeeD
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Just worth noting here, that Katrina was only actually cat.2 by the time it hit the coast, and Rita will also be similarly puffed out...

...but hey, don't tell anyone that, right?

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
Reaction score
Yea but the category it was previously affects how much moisture it picks up, and cosequently how much it rains, as well as the size of any storm surges.

Ben3rdEye

toe-jamm
Reaction score
Sending another bill-buster!
powwaaaarrrggghhhhhhhh!