hyper cars

psyfi Sep 15, 2004

1. psyfi

psyfi Pie Fly

Threads:
  2. andrew

andrew open your mind

Threads:
    amazing, we hope its gonna be everywhere soon! but will they be really expensive?

:hug1:

Andrew

3. Continuum

Continuum Throb Farmer

Threads:
    Bound to be innit? Early adopters of any novel tech usually get shafted financially....
    Got to be the way forward though. I'd move away from my petrol car tomorrow if I could.

4. marsoupial

marsoupial Psygonaut

Threads:
    I want one :Grin:

5. Triskele

Triskele Korma-kaze

Threads:
    Great idea, thats been around for years. I dont think we'll ever see Hydrogen car adorne our streets. What will happen to President Bush's precious oli companies if this kind of technology took off ???

However. I wonder if the brainboxes behind the technology could take it one step further.....

Water is made up of 2 elements, 1 part Oxygen & 2 parts HYDROGEN.

6. psyfi

psyfi Pie Fly

Threads:
    Here is something that s not to expenceive

http://www.toyota.com/prius/

Its about £11,804.58 GBP and a tax rebate

7. DoctorJon

DoctorJon NOT a doctor

Threads:
    Whoever had the idea of coating the Hindenberg in thermite? That's like coating an aeroplane in gunpowder. :?

Nice one Mr. Air-Balloon-Designer :no:

8. phlee

phlee Reformed Addict

Threads:
    Bush won't be too worried until they find a way of producing Hydrogen without using fossil fuels :no: The only 'accepted' ways currently are by reformation from natural gas - the domain of the oil conglomerates, and electrolysis of water, which takes a lot of energy the way they're likely to do it. Where will the electricity come from? Oil-fired power stations :rolleyes: So the benefits of a hydrogen economy are slightly misleading if you ask me :unsure:
    There are things in the pipeline like Genesis World Energy, which whilst it looks promising, has a lot of controversy surrounding it. Other (and I'm talking hoardes) of people in the past have claimed to be able to separate the hydrogen and oxygen in water with much less energy than their recombination produces, using high voltage short duration pulses, but all of these have been dismissed as quacks out of hand without the level of investigation their claims deserve. Thank you oil companies :mad:

9. psyfi

psyfi Pie Fly

Threads:
    We should keep in mind that even if car could run on air or nice feelings we would still need oil for the moving parts unless there is a new kind of heavy duty lube from some other source?
    I don't no if the aim is to stop using fossil fuel altogether rather to use what we have responsibly. at least for the time being.

10. phlee

phlee Reformed Addict

Threads:
    I think the issue (at least from my point of view) with using fossil fuels lies in burning the fossil fuels rather than their use full stop. Burning them releases the carbon sunk within the hydrocarbons they contain as CO2 which contributes to global warming. Lubricants are composed of hydrocarbons obtained by distillation of crude oil, so the carbon is still sunk and not relesed as CO2. Our entire plastics industry relies on oil for the manufacture of its products, which is another reason why burning oil at the rate we are is a bad idea. If we run out, that's the end of half our industries which rely on oil products in their processes. :unsure:

11. Neko

Neko Meer Kat

Threads:
    The Hill is alive with the sound of music
  12. Taika-Kim

Taika-Kim Junior Members

Threads:
    I had the image that plastics are mostly by-products of the oil industry? They don't use the same parts of the crude oil for gasoline than they do for the plastics.

And even if we can't create hydrogen very efficiently yet, remember that it's a lot more convenient to control the emissions of, say, 10 factories producing hydrogen than 1000000 cars burning fossil fuels.

Cars contribute most of the so-called pollution these days in the west. About a half of the airborne nitrogen, a huge portion of co2, big amounts of aerosols (whose effects on health are very little known yet), and IIRC they contribute most of The lower atmosphere ozone (ozone is poisonous, it's good for us only in the stratosphere where it blocks UV radiation...) too, at least in urban areas.

So the hydrogen technology will be a huge leap forward even before we can actually produce hydrogen with less power than we will get.

13. fluffy nutcase

fluffy nutcase Junior Members

Threads:
    air car

my car runs on dual fuel, gas and petrol. Unfortunately in Kent its hard to find the gas. The West country seems to be better for it.
    Been looking at this lately <http://www.theaircar.com>
    but again you need to generate the electricity somehow.
    Chrissie

14. RedZebra

RedZebra Member

Threads:
    yeah, hydrogen fuel cells are a great idea, but unfortunately, to make them currently uses more fuel than they produce. I remember hearing about some recent breakthroughs in trying to find / make bacteria that create hydrogen, as part of their normal metabolism. That sounds like a promising way forward... still lots of time til its developped though.

15. djchoppa

djchoppa Real world? What's that?

Threads:
    Brings a whole new meaning to the word "Crash"

:huh:

16. Stuoolong

Stuoolong Professionally fluffy

Threads:
    I like the sound of this:

and in particular, this:
    As possible means of generating the hydrogen. I haven't seen any research on this, but in theory it should be quite easy to sort out, with a bit of genetic tinkering. Hmmm... may have to google this one.

Bush is right behind fuel cells because the oil companies can make stacks of cash from powering hydrogen generator setups. I read a while back that Esso had invested 20 billion dollars in researching fuel cell cars, in collaboration with Ford. As long as they are still using fossil fuels for the ultimate power source, America will be happy.

17. Golaf

Golaf Banned

Threads:
    BMW are going to have 100% clean cars buy the year 2012 they reckon :Smile3:
    but then some people say the World is going to end in 2012 :lol:

18. psyfi

psyfi Pie Fly

Threads:
  19. Blender Bender

Blender Bender Chew-Z anyone?

Threads:
    In addition to all mentioned above you have to remember that car petrol is only a smal fraction of the crude oil distilation products. No matter what happens on the car fuel front there will always be a need for:

- Naptha (for plastics)
    - Diesel
    - Residual Marine Fuels
    - Lubricants
    - Jet Fuel
    - Kerosene
    - Gas

This recent move of Dubya is definitely a reason for cautious optimism. The main issues, as mentioned before, are hydrogen generation and distribution networks. With oil companies (or rather "energy companies" nowadays) fully backing all these moves there is definitely hope for all developed countries...

Now, what happens in countries developing countries and most importantly China, where cars are just now reaching the average family in a spending frenzy is a different matter all together...

20. psyfi

psyfi Pie Fly

Threads:
    Yes there isn't going to be one solution to solve all the issues concerning the environment and our race against time. That’s why everything that can be done now matter how small is important. Of course we have to know not to wonder blindly in to things that may not work.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.
    Dismiss Notice