I desperately need mixing advice...

I am at the point with this track that I have finished it compositionally, am not entirely satisfied with the mix, and have heard it so many times that what I really need is a pair of objective ears.

I didn't put this is in the "Artist tunes" section because I was hoping to get objective mixing advice from a technical and artistic standpoint from those of you with better ears than mine. :Smile3: It is a small file (short track) for those of you with slower connections.

To me it sounds muddy and doesn't quite capture the warmth that I was aiming for. Anyone have any suggestions?

Link:
2.09 MB - Sepulchre Shell

Thanks in advance.

shahmaran

i cant open your link dude

psyfi

Pie Fly
My first impression regarding muddiness would be that its not to much bass or low mid in the mix rather you haven't got much going on in the highs. Maybe try brining a little bit out on the bell sounds. A gentle exciter or some EQing up there would help give it some more dimension. Filling up the EQ box so to speak. As for the tune it's self very nice. Lamenting it the word I’m looking for.

shahmaran said:
i cant open your link dude

Hmm... it seems to be working to me. It worked for Psyfi, too. :Sad: I don't know what's wrong.

psyfi said:
My first impression regarding muddiness would be that its not to much bass or low mid in the mix rather you haven't got much going on in the highs. Maybe try brining a little bit out on the bell sounds. A gentle exciter or some EQing up there would help give it some more dimension. Filling up the EQ box so to speak. As for the tune it's self very nice. Lamenting it the word I’m looking for.

Thanks for the feedback. I agree that there isn't much going on in the highs. Unfortunately there just aren't many highs in the piece. I'll try experimenting with an exciter on the bell melody to try to balance it out some. That is exactly the type advice I was looking for in this thread :Smile3:

psyfi

Pie Fly
Reconstructed said:
Hmm... it seems to be working to me. It worked for Psyfi, too. :Sad: I don't know what's wrong.
It worked for me but it did take a long time for a 2.9Mb file. Could be that shahmaran didn't think that anything was happening. Where did you upload it to?

The host is located in the US, I think, which would explain the somewhat slow download. I can't imagine it being too slow, though. I haven't had too much of a problem downloading from UK hosts. Perhaps the server was just down for a brief period of time?

Sturdy Pete

Sturdy Member
took me about 10 seconds.. mwahahah

anyway, the sounds you've used don't have to much high, and do have quite a lot going on in the sub 100Hz area.. it sounds fine (and in fact very nice) with just a bit more HF and a bit less LF, as well as a notch to remove some of the sound between 50-100Hz .. or i guess just bring the bassier sounds down a few dBs in the mix? (note that my speakers dont like sub bass very much, so might not be as much of a problem on better speakers)

given its not dance music, there's not the same need to cram the box full of sounds, if you dont want to anyway.

top notch piece of music tho! :Grin:

Abstraction

happy juice
i think the main reason it doesnt sound very bright may be that the bell sound has no attack, its just the ringing part. so unless you particularly like that sound maybe try a different one with a sharper attack.

O

Ott^

Its got a lot going on at 100hz - 200hz-ish.

I would suggest backing off by about 6db or more @ 100hz with a wide Q and boosting from 1khz upwards with a high shelf by as much as you dare.

It sounds to me like you've mixed it on a very bass-light system with tired ears.

Lovely tune though.

Thanks everyone for the advice. It was precisely what I was looking for. I'm going to take a couple days off from the track and then re-mix it with your suggestions in mind.