I Have Seriouse Issues

TEK_Row

~Catalyst Of the Mind~
Reaction score
i have a problem with some tricky Wireing...
let me explain i recently bought a 4-track desk mixer and a compresser/processer,

So far the cd-decks i got going into the mixer and the mixer goes into the compresser/processer which goes to the Amp. is this correct because it seems the compresser/processer does very little if any thing at all!!

Should i.. Wire the compresser/processer in a loop using the tape output and the Stereo Fx Return??
(have tried this but there is major distortion if the Aux Return is turned over halfway)

Any advice would be greatly appreceated

O

Ott^

You have it wired correctly.

Wiring it the other way will resulting a feedback loop and the distortion you describe.

Compression is a subtle effect. To hear what it does try turning up the ratio knob [clockwise] and turning the threshold knob anti-clockwise.

Once you have it pumping, try experimenting with the attack and release controls - making sure the "auto" knob is set to "off".

Also make sure the +4db / -10db buttons on the rear of the unit are set correctly - probably to -10db.

TEK_Row

~Catalyst Of the Mind~
Reaction score
Cheers for the Pointers, be sure to try them out.. Hopefully picking up a cheap Fx&Bass Enhancer... all Behringer. So far

(jack)

Reaction score
TEK_Row said:
i have a problem with some tricky Wireing...
let me explain i recently bought a 4-track desk mixer and a compresser/processer,

So far the cd-decks i got going into the mixer and the mixer goes into the compresser/processer which goes to the Amp. is this correct because it seems the compresser/processer does very little if any thing at all!!

Should i.. Wire the compresser/processer in a loop using the tape output and the Stereo Fx Return??
(have tried this but there is major distortion if the Aux Return is turned over halfway)

Any advice would be greatly appreceated

Don't mean to patronise.. but on the behringer you have to turn on the different sections, and the buttons have different uses....... It's quite easy to tweak a whole mix for hours only then realising you didn't have the buttons turned to the right places and the particular switches turned on and off in the way you need them..

O

Ott^

(jack) said:
It's quite easy to tweak a whole mix for hours only then realising you didn't have the buttons turned to the right places and the particular switches turned on and off in the way you need them..

*Snigger*

O

Ott^

I used to plug compressors in and think;

"It just turns stuff down. What fucking use is that??"

TEK_Row

~Catalyst Of the Mind~
Reaction score
Ott^ said:
I used to plug compressors in and think;

"It just turns stuff down. What fucking use is that??"

To state the Obviouse Stop the speakers from blowing up!!
I agree tho it does give a moment of two for Reflection

<<Genreally Not a Quoter>>

norty303

Member (Todger)
Reaction score
To state the Obviouse Stop the speakers from blowing up!!

Not strictly true. Peaks are not what kills speakers if they're still running within their loading (e.g. you're not bottoming out the driver). It's the average power which burns up voice coils. By compressing a signal what you're doing is squashing the peaks which allows you to turn up the level without causing the amp to clip. This makes the average power higher and, depending on how much amp you got, burns your drivers up.

I killed my first 2 sub drivers this very way, by having the limiter set hard just below clip and then turning up the input so the limiter was working fairly constantly. Never again.

A more effective way is to use a Formula Sound AVC2 which is actually a dynamic level control which reacts slowly to high input signals. It actually starts to turn down once the threshold is reached thereby giving added protection when the signal starts to get further compressed and distorted from the mixer. Over £500 new, you can get em periodically on ebay for £100-£180. best piece of kit i own and means i can fairly leave the rig alone once set up (if i NEED to) and the only thing that will suffer is the level reducing (although you do get some pumping during breakdowns but it's better than a load of recones

TEK_Row

~Catalyst Of the Mind~
Reaction score
Wicked advice.. I thought my sub/s were getting a bit.. well rough or Matt would probly be a better description... Can you not just use the limiter or just the threshold to save ££??