ibook as external recording device

ZINI

Reaction score
I’m new to this djing game so the following question may seem quite silly.
I have Numark Axis 4s with a Numark 1050 mixer. I want to record any mixes I am currently doing (just to make sure my mixing is spot on). Is it possible to run music to my ibook for the purpose of recording? Do I run it from my amp? I have recording software on the mac. Any help would be much appreciated.
thanks. Z

Before I run the risk of killing a thread without any replies I suppose I should narrow down my question and take it from there. How do you record your mixes?

im not a DJ but if i was i would record them in my PC

Simple routing : out of mixer x 2 > 1 x into soundcard (making sure levels do not clip during the reccording process) and 1 x to your amp, Record using soundforge (or your audio editor of chioce)

then a swift bit of mastering in Soundforge in the form of light compression and some limiting, add in a bunch of trackmarkers ( mixed cd's that have only a single track suck arse imo) Burn to cd.

im sure this can all be applicable with your mac although varying in sound quality depending on soundcard / onboard sound etc...

happy recordings :Smile3:

You may need to get a device like an iMic if you want to record in stereo though - most laptop mic sockets are in mono only.

J.

iBook should have a line in socket (you will need a stereo phono -> jack lead), use that, NOT the mic in! argh! lol iBook speaker out or headphone out to your amp.....be carefull with your levels! set everything very low and work up to the level you want, also use a recording app that will show you the input levels (eg soundforge as above) :Wink3: hit record in your record app :Smile3:

imak I dont use Sound forge personally, does it allow you to add CD markers and burn to CD?

miszt said:
imak I dont use Sound forge personally, does it allow you to add CD markers and burn to CD?

yip yip! you can roughly drop markers into place by hitting the "M" key on your qwerty keyboard as the wav is playing, then Zoom in to refine the markers placement with your mouse

When all markers are in place you can convert them to Regions , export the regions and burn to cd with zero silence in between tracks

sorted. :Smile3:

Got the iMic (€28) and some free audio recorder software and it works great.
Cheers.

Back