I'm pretty sure theres some djs around here...

linziloop

The Puppeteer
Reaction score
I gots cd decks for chrimbo (yeah probably a bit of a spoilt brat, even though im 21 now...) and i was thinkin, theres quite a few djs around here right? So think back to when you first ever started mixin (yes i know it was a while back ;p) and giz some tips and hints and does and donts (please and thanku!). Ive got the axis 8 cd players and DXM01 mixer. So if anyones got the same some info off them would be useful. Ive got the basics, and about 3/4 dj mates coming round for a play every now and then, just thinking there might be people who can tell me things i wouldn't have thought of. I dunno! And of course my first choice of music to mix will always be psy trance.
Luv n hugs
Linz
:Grin: :Smile3: :cool:

Learn your tunes and practise, practise, practise :Smile3:

start with two tunes you know well, by the same or similar artists -- and stuff thats quite formulaic would be a good place to start. like GMS stuff, that behaves in the same sort of way

having said that psytrance is harder to mix than a lot of other stuff because there's more sounds in it. so something more basic might be an idea.... two mickey finn records with identical sounding snares started me off, or for 4-4 then something proggy like son kite may be a good starting point

be prepared to HATE with a vengeance whatever tunes you start learning with!!! you'll be having nightmares about them.

otherwise as full lotus says, it's just a matter of practise :Wink3:

even better if you get 2 copies of the same tune and start with that. and remember that 99% all psy is built in blocks of 16 beats (4 blocklets of 4); so always try and introduce the incoming tune on the 1st beat of 16 of the outgoing one. once you knw what you're looking for it's pretty easy to spot :Smile3:

oh yeah, and practise loads, and make recordings of you practising so you can hear where you're going wrong. also watch someone you know that can mix well, that helps too :Smile3:

ive been watching a few of my mates that dj well, thats helped. I was told to get two copies of the same tune b4, so thats a good idea eh? I shall be doin that when i get home. I thought psy trance was harder to mix than anything else ive tried, but hey, if i start of difficult then ill have a steeper learning curve but eventually (hopefully) be quite good! I already know most of my tunes pretty well cos in the run up to gettin my decks i pounded myself into the ground trying to get to know my tunes off by heart - now ive got the cd buying addiction though so ive gotta learn the newbies just as well! Ah well, see how it goes, ill keep you posted. Cheers! :Grin: :Smile3: :Grin: :Smile3: :Grin:

Good luck... I started spinning a little over a year ago, and I'm still learning (not a lot of time unfortunately). Don't worry about transitions to much, just make sure you get the beatmatching part right, and if your cd-players have beat-counters, try not to pay attention to them. After awhile you'll have more time to focuss on the actual mix and on track selection.

And practice, practice, practice :Smile3:

never ever ever ever give up

even when u cant find any good tunes and ur having a day or two where every mix u try goes wrong and its frustrating u real bad

never ever ever ever give up

keep with it, try new things, muck about, u never know what u might find out!

practice practice practice.......ive been going 9yrs now and im still learning :Wink3:

it only gets more fun!!!!! :clubjump:

oh, learning to mix other styles of music can be really handy in varying the way u mix stuff. i learnt to mix d&b techno funky house trance psytrance hip hop chillout and found
there are techniques in each that can be applied to the others to make more original mixes

:party2:

techno is prolly easiest to mix and then you can still really mess about with it once u get the hang of it. It all goes BANG bang bang bang BANG bang bang bang. Ive never used CD decks tho - they look a bit technical. But u have the benefit of being able to play your own tunes out and guage a reaction without payin out for dubplates which looks pretty cool. Might try it!

Try to keep the headphone cue as low as possible so you can just hear the track you are mixing in. This means that the cueing track does not cover the track already playing and also puts a little bit of pressure on your cueing ear which does seem to help speed up the training of your 'ear'/brain to differentiate between the two tracks playing at the same time.

Learn to beat mix with minimal tracks recorded at the same speed first.

Take lots of breaks between mixing practices. Relax with it. Stress of trying to mix too quickly will slow down your learning ability. Stressing yourself out in practicing will be counterproductive. As soon as you get fed up take a days break. If you are already stressed don't bother practicing. Do Tai Chi or Yoga or some other exercise before practicing. Clear your head so that you can concentrate on the practice.

Make yourself psychologically stubborn. You will learn it if you really want to. It takes years to be really good but everyone who hears you will appreciate your efforts once you are out of staircasing the mixes. If you staircase the mix grin, DON'T let it get you down!!!!

And as everyone says, practice (practice makes perfect)

Do it for yourself. Its like learning an instrument but the capabilities of sounds that you can produce once you are mixing reasonably well are far wider in range than any normal instrument.

Try to be particular on you music purchasing. Many djs spend the most of their money buying records/cds etc while learning. Be careful with your finances. Financial stress affects your ability to learn mixing. If you like an artists album pay for it. One day you may be the artist selling your production material. Treat other musicians in the same way you would like to be treated. Each dj settles into their own way of mixing after a while. Until then learn as many different possible ways that you can from other djs. Don't fear asking. Good djs love to tell others about their obsession and will talk for hours about it. :Smile3:

Practice either with other djs, or someone who will encourage you whatever mistakes you make or practice alone until you make few rooster ups and are happy for people to listen in.

I think most djs find that as they learn and get better the process is almost like jumping hurdles. You will practice and practice and then suddenly your ability will take a leap and you are over a hurdle, or onto the next level. In 10 years of djing I have never stopped getting to new levels, the break just becomes longer between the better you get.

Analyse the music, break it down into its component parts, the structure. Learn to do this and you will save a lot of time. Get a friend to show you some music production software so that you can see how the music is produced. Again this helps save a lot of time learning because you have a graphical image of the sounds put together.

If you want to club dj then do web research on sound production techniques and how sound is produced. Very interesting stuff and useful to know.

Remember all music is for entertainment and you shall become an entertainer if you learn it. You will entertain yourself at least or thousands of people at most if you become well known and sort after. Always keep you feet on the ground and respect djs that want to learn from you, there can never be too many djs.

Put your heart into it and you will succeed.
Best wishes with your new hobby/obsession and here's to your success and to the enjoyment that you and all who hear you play will get out of it.
Surf the sounds
:Grin: [/i]

cueing is very important, i cannot stress this enough, sounds patronising i know...

learn to cue your tracks so that they break at the same points, with tunes that have odd breaks u may have to push play 1 or 2 beats before or after the other tune breaks....
look at structure of music and the tracks you are mixing, it will help u come along a lot faster, its easier to tell pitch differences etc if both the tunes are lined up correctly....
u can apply this intuition of structure to quite a lot of tunes and it usually pays off, beware the cheeky tunes tho!!! make sure u know the tunes u are mixing inside out, however sometimes u will turn up to play a set with a cd case full of new tunes, this is where the educated guesses can pay off.

it will take you ages to train ur ears to pick up on speed differences but it comes with time until its second nature and u can tell if its slightly too fast or too slow.

never lose faith - goodluck :speaker:

wow you guys have took a lot of time to rite me all this advice - it really shows your passion though, i bet you could go on for hours! Thanks! Its nice to be encouraged!

Mixing

I know how you must feel - I'm also very excited 'cos I just bought 2 Denon DNS-1000 CD/MP3 decks to take with my mixer to Goa - plenty of time to practice in paradise :Wink3:

FYI, up until recently most of the DJ's in Goa used DAT or MD with no ability to beatmix between tracks - its one of the reasons psy-trance has long intros and outros to allow for this. Rarely stopped people enjoying the music tho. I've DJ'ed on MD in Goa, and am now looking forward to the next stage in my mixing 'education'.

Good Luck with ur mixing! :Smile3:

:clubjump:

Dave/Trancey :partysmi:

great great tips from albs, carefully follow his advice and it'll take you a LONG way! All I can think of right now is, when settin up the mix and adjusting the pitch of the next track, I see many dj's using different ways to wear the headphones. Most have one ear covered with a cup and the other ear listening to the track that's already playing from the speakers. I do the same at home, but at parties I tend to put my headphones on both ears when listening to the pfl, so I don't have to turn the phones volume up too loud. The music that's blasting from the speakers at the party goes right through your cups (no matter how well closed they are), so this way you can adjust the pitch just as accurately, but at a much more comfortable volume.

kind greets, Philip

Nemco said:
and if your cd-players have beat-counters, try not to pay attention to them.And practice, practice, practice :Smile3:

very important. if you learn with beat-counters (which display the exact speed in bpm), then you mite be able to do a phat mix on ur decks, but what happens when its your first DJ gig and the clubs got a pair of CDJ100s, which is a common story. no beat-counters on those babies and you're pretty fucked. put bits of paper over the counters if necessary. i use beat-counters if they're there, but i'm fully competent in mixing without em so its ok :Grin:

Yeah don't use BPM readouts, most are only accurate to .5 of a bpm and that's nowehere near accurate enough ('specaily on vinyl) Also i recommend listening to A LOT of dance music, anything with the basic phrasing of 8 bars of 4x4 beat (making 32 beats in total for each phrase). Psy trance is slightly irregular in that it'll throw in the odd beat or two here and there but listen to techno and you'll see what I mean. Sooner or later you can just tell when to drop tunes and when not to rather than just having to count out 32 beats and look like a muppet

my little gem of information that makes any DJ a good 1 regardless of whether they can mix or not!!

PLAY GOOD TUNES!!!!!

Well said drat!

The only things I would add is that definitely get a mate to show you the basics. I spent ages trying to do what I thought was right, got very fustrated, lost interest, and then a mate (Snafu) showed me some basics and it made ALL the difference.

When changing the speed of one CD to match that of the other, remember that most of the time you should move the speed of a track up or down in increments of 0.7 as that equates to 1bpm at around 140bpm which most psy trance is at.

Sparklema said:
There's so much already there, but what I would add is....

[*]have fun! fun! fun! and never EVER take yourself too seriously.
[/list]xxxx Good luck

that is the best bit of advice given on this thread, and probably anywhere else on this forum :Wink3:

Back