Importing midi to Live

Lazytom

imperialist running-dog
Save the midi part as a MIDI file in Cubase, then just drag it from the Live browser into a midi track.

psyfi

Pie Fly
Lazytom said:
Save the midi part as a MIDI file in Cubase, then just drag it from the Live browser into a midi track.
Thats right. Or if your useing Logic merge all the midi parts for that instument you want as one peace and the go file/export/export selection as midi. Then you just drag it from the browser in live. Also I have a question. With the midi I write in logic I often unclude pitch or even volume and modulation changes in it. When imported in to live this info is still presant in the filie as I want it to be but how can I edit/create this kind of info in live? I can only see the midi notes and nothing else in live. Is this a view option?

Lazytom

imperialist running-dog
I take it you don't have the manual then ;-)

I'm pretty sure its a view option... I've edited mod and vol changes in Live before... I'll look it up when I get home. Otherwise try the Ableton forum at www.ableton.com

psyfi

Pie Fly
Lazytom said:
I take it you don't have the manual then ;-)

I'm pretty sure its a view option... I've edited mod and vol changes in Live before... I'll look it up when I get home. Otherwise try the Ableton forum at www.ableton.com
I got the manule but I'm a lazy fooker:irofl:

psyfi

Pie Fly
Well I've found how to edit pitch volume and so on midi envalopes but still cant find away to edit what bank and program the synth will play or change to during the tune.

M

makdaddy

if you expand your track view, there should be set of dropdown menu's under the track name, this is where automation parameters are chosen usually

scuze me if im way off, its been a while

psyfi

Pie Fly
All the controls for the VST or the mixer are there to automate but not the program & bank numbers. The only place I can find those is when in session view with the midi pattern selected. The program and bank selection fields are on the notes box under the Original BPM display but can't see how you can select to automate these. Whilst not being essential it would be useful to have only one instance of say vanguard open and to have your presets come up in this as the set progresses rather than have (1) many vanguards open sucking up CPU or (2) selecting the bank and program with the mouse as you go.

psyfi

Pie Fly
Or even, now here is a thought. If it were possible to automate a change in what output a track was set to. I wouldn't imagine that this was possible but Changing the Bank and program should be as it is in the hyper midi edit in logic.

Hmmmm strokes long chine and ponders long in to the night.

giorgos

Junior Members
psyfi said:
All the controls for the VST or the mixer are there to automate but not the program & bank numbers. The only place I can find those is when in session view with the midi pattern selected. The program and bank selection fields are on the notes box under the Original BPM display but can't see how you can select to automate these. Whilst not being essential it would be useful to have only one instance of say vanguard open and to have your presets come up in this as the set progresses rather than have (1) many vanguards open sucking up CPU or (2) selecting the bank and program with the mouse as you go.

Oops, I see what you mean, you are right, just realised it, too!

giorgos

Junior Members
psyfi said:

A workaround that I found is have 2 seperate clips in your midi track where you want the program change to occur with different Program values (1-128) which you can select on the Notes tab when you click on each clip.

psyfi

Pie Fly
giorgos said:
A workaround that I found is have 2 seperate clips in your midi track where you want the program change to occur with different Program values (1-128) which you can select on the Notes tab when you click on each clip.
Yay giorgos. Your brain has done me proud. This most likely isn't a work around rather the way it is done. I was thinking more along the lines that these values were related to the whole track rather than the clip it's self. :irofl: What a knob I am.
Cheers dude

giorgos

Junior Members
Yeah, no problem, mate. Yeah, it's the way it's done, which is not bad, anyway, meaning you could have a whole track just for program change automation. I look forward for the version 6 update in June or something, anyway.

psyfi

Pie Fly
Yeah who know they might even get it working with the waves plugins. I wont hold my breath but that would be sweet.