individual tempo ramps

Abstraction

happy juice
Reaction score
anyone know if its possible to apply a tempo ramp to one single midi track in sx2? or any way of achieving the same effect? so that one track can smoothly increase in speed and the rest of the track continues as normal

thanks colin, i dont have live but i do have fruityloops, which ive tried doing that in. but ideally i need to be able to automate the tempo ramp with the rest of the tune playing so i can do it in relation to the rest of whats going on. i could work it out in terms of seconds and stuff but that might be complicated cos its not a linear increase, its more of a parabola kinda thing and i dont know exactly what will sound best.

As far as I know SX can't play different tracks at different tempos. We did something similar in the main break in Fluorostani Transcendance years ago, and I remember moving each MIDI note by hand, each one by slightly more than the last, and this is still the only way I can think of of doing what you want to do with MIDI.

How about:
Exporting an audio file of the entire track (or the section of the track in which you want this speed up effect to appear)...

Import it into a new cubase project
Set the audio track to time-based

Create a midi track, with the output set as the saved patch from before and then write your notation.

And then apply tempo changes to the entire project...
The audio track won't change tempo, therefore you can tailor your midi notation and the rate of tempo change to be exactly right for the track.

Once done, mute/delete the audio track.... and exportimport your new tempo changing audio into your original project :Smile3:

Hehe... bit cumbersome sounding, but I recon it's probably abit easier/more flexible than moving each midi note slightly further away from the other by hand (although I seriously appreciate the dedication) :Wink3: :P

For a straight 16th riff it's actually very easy:
Select all but the first one, nudge right, select all but the first two, nudge right, select all but the first three, nudge right etc.

Colin OOOD said:
As far as I know SX can't play different tracks at different tempos. We did something similar in the main break in Fluorostani Transcendance years ago, and I remember moving each MIDI note by hand, each one by slightly more than the last, and this is still the only way I can think of of doing what you want to do with MIDI.

AHH... the pleasure of knowing that something was done well
long time ago ;p i tried to recreate a part of the Fluorostani Transcendance and did it exacly the same way... of course i didn't know at the time how you did it!
now, to know if we're talking on the same part :ismile:

Oh Ho...sorry going OT

how about exporting as an audio loop, importing into something like intakt and doing it via timestretch which you could automate as midi...

Depends if you are doing percussion or pitched synth stuff really; you might be quite surprised how good percussion can sound with the ol' timestretch on intakt and this would be really easy to set up

nicknick said:
AHH... the pleasure of knowing that something was done well
long time ago ;p i tried to recreate a part of the Fluorostani Transcendance and did it exacly the same way... of course i didn't know at the time how you did it!
now, to know if we're talking on the same part :ismile:

Oh Ho...sorry going OT

When we did that bit I wanted it to sound as if the person next to you on the dancefloor was just a little bit worried about what that break implied about the inevitable drop just about to happen :Smile3:

Right... back on-topic please :Grin:

Colin OOOD said:
Right... back on-topic please :Grin:

if you're planning to alter the tempo of multiple midi parts to be played by different vstis, the only thing i can think of (something that i don't remember seeing lately, tho i may have some time in the past!) it would be a "midi player vst"(it would read midi files) that you'd use to feed each vsti(1 instance per instrument), with "sync to host tempo" "or not/manually" and other syncing options, who knows... i bet the guys working on energyxt have something like

... probably you have that option on energyxt, you don't even need plugins!

Back