Infected Mushroom - Classical Mushroom (YOYO38)

generaljoe

Reaction score
Is it just me, or is this the best psytrance album ever ever ever? I've been listening to it for 4 years and it STILL makes the hairs on my arms stand up. Shame about their newer stuff...

"I'm not afraid any longer, mommy..."

No, it makes you LUCKY. Go and buy it. Now. And get yo' bad self a decent pair of headphones, a comfy chair, some tissues, a big fat biffter, and LISTEN to it. Just listen. Makes me cry, it's that damn good. And the only other people that can do that are Bach and Roy Harper...

:sob:

Total Agreement General!! It is probably number 1 on my alltime list, hate to say it but I think they beat Posford at his own game on this one. And I agree hairs do still stand up, exilarating music with depth, especially disco mushi and bust a move!! WOW... Haven't heard much to beat it especially in recent times... Not just about the bassline which helps alot I think!

NO, you guys are all wrong - the best psychedelic trance album of all time is Cosmosis - Synergy.

IM's Classical Mushroom is good (their best album), but still I find some of the melodies, transitions and ideas a bit childish and silly (cheesy parts in the shen, sea of mushroom, awful singing in dracul and many more). It's very classy and stylish and one of it's own kind, but still far from the best IMO :Smile3:

the very same year( 2000) Hux flux released '' Cryptic Crunch'' :trippn: koyote records and this album could also be the definition of the psy-trance album ,or 1 year after (2001) the ''Gms & Amigos'' :wow: from Gms ......

Am i odd? I preferred the gathering ...

This was the first psy-trance album i heard and it was a real fukkin gateway. i still really like it and to be honest i cant understand, the seeming, hatred in the psytrance scene for them. Loads of the sounds and changes in the music are so fukkin well done and when i saw them at the FullMoon this year i thought they were deadly, despite people coming up and moaning to me about them afterwards.

I suppose they are tainted by the fact that many of their fans are not into psytrance and would be more interested in listening to linkin park and downloading ringtones (just check the forum on their website) than giving time to this wonderful music genre, but to hell with them im gonna keep listening to them regardless of everyone else.

Yep, one of the best I've ever heard too. It's still in the 'playlist' wallet on top of the CD player - never left it.

BPMpire was not far off IMHO - less 'clever' musically but swapped the ligher aspects for a more crunching 'drive' to it.

I liked the linkage between the 'Misted Muppet' album (recent) and IM Classical. It's almost a sub-genre in itself.

This was my first Psy album I ever purchased. Bust a Move, Disco Mushi and The Missed Symphony still do it for me. Definitely IM's finest hour. :dancey:

@generaljoe: LOL, this whole concept of "personal taste" and "subjective opinion" sucks! how can we ever come to some conclusions if we all think different :lol: :Wink3:

antic said:
NO, you guys are all wrong - the best psychedelic trance album of all time is Cosmosis - Synergy.

It is a wicked album, and I still love Cosmosis_Intergalatic album... But Synergy it sounds a bit erm dated now init... To be a total classic it can't age to much... :Wink3:

Goz said:
Am i odd? I preferred the gathering ...

In total agreement with you m8.

While Classical Mushroom definitely has the edge in terms of production and arrangement, it seems like there are times when they overreach themselves and it just sounds a bit silly - The Gathering is more 'standard' psytrance, but every tune's a belter all the way through.

J.

hm... i still prefer BPE. Classical is good as a listening tool at home, but IMO many of the tunes sound weak for DJ use. they just lack muscle in the kickdrum department. i WILL admit that "Bust A Move" is one of the best trance tunes ever, and i have a love for "The Shen" and it's mad, crystalline synth builds. i also think CM has too many good moments that are bookended by fluff muzak (one of IM's tendencies, present yet again in the new album).

BPE is closer to progressive to me, and it is quite tasteful. a lot of "space" in the music, and a great, almost angry vibe in parts. if they had chucked "Roll Us A Giant" on the album (it fits, you know), it would have been insane.

waiting to read reactions to the new album.. should be interesting...

generaljoe said:
Is it just me, or is this the best psytrance album ever ever ever? I've been listening to it for 4 years and it STILL makes the hairs on my arms stand up. Shame about their newer stuff...

"I'm not afraid any longer, mommy..."

I'm glad i'm not the only CRAZY about the album, after years i still love it, the sound is so unique and different..magical
as for their new stuff, did'nt like it much in the begining but it's definaitly grown on me., there's some wicked guitar songs on their, that will drive u stomping mad!

hehe it the first album i bought too...
i havent heard any mention of 'mush mushi' which is my fav track...

i meant to post this sooner... it's an all-Infected mix i did a while ago. the first time i've done a mix like this: mixed WAV files (using Traktor, no auto-matching) and CDs by hand to get the "rough" mix, then used Soundforge to edit and add effects. i recently added "Acid Killer" at the end as a "just one more" tune.

hope you like it! let me know, please.

http://www.the-psychologist.com/mixes/The%20Psychologist%20-%20Infected%20WAVs%20(04052004).mp3

Back