Infected Mushroom - McSupervisor ($$CD5)

have to disagree mate -- tis better than i thought it'd be -- so far anyway :cool:

Haven't liked what I've heard. Sounds like the two of them can't really make up their minds on their musical 'direction'.

I have to respect the fact that they appear to be drawing in a younger crowd, psy-trance does need to diversify and grow... I just find this particular direction isn't really to my taste.

Apparently they're still pretty impressive 'live' tho.

At least they're not as far gone as the latest Prodigy album - what was that all about?!? :sad:

I'm really liking the Mc$upervisor CD, fair enuff it ain't really psy trance... more like chunky four\four with analog synths and a few cheesy lines chucked in to show off there superior keyboard skillz. I have found it to be great fun, not very good for the psy purists, but hey I'm into some house and funk and vocals sometimes. fuck it i've said it now! "Noon" you what stoopid noises and 303 fun who can resist!! Erez Aizen seems to be bored of trance, the kid is an amazing keyboard player, but he needs to open his horizons, he has always said he wants to score movies and stuff, it's probably time they started being even more bizarre musically and stopped conforming to the 4/4 structure.

And I agree Pricey what the fuck is that Liam Howlett on, Complete drivel in my opinion especially all the rock n roll numbers with his "oasis" friends, The only track I like on that prodigy album is the breakz one on the car advert.

my two penneth!! :Wink3: :smoke:

there's no doubt that the guys behind Infected are amazingly talented. i agree Geoff it would so much more interesting if they started experimenting with pure weirdness without a 4/4 beat (a bit like the 2nd CV cd). but then again, if they did this i doubt they would draw in wads of cashish and thousands of gurning 'fans' :P

I bought it on the strength of some great-sounding samples on chaos unlimited, and I have to say they were some of the best bits. :-( On the plus side, the good bits are REALLY good - lovely wild synth arpeggios, smooth bass and weird blips, fx and stuff... but on the negative side, the bad bits are REALLY shite. I couldn't even bare to listen to all of track 1... "come on and dance with me?" ARrrgh!! Eeekk... feckin aweful

Fair enough if they're sick of straight psy and wanna explore "new" sounds, but to me it sounds less evolved, less complete, and less consistent than Classical Mushroom. It sounds to me like they're deliberately targetting a younger audience - not maturing in their own sound.

Yeah I think the guys are more talented than they're making out on this CD. I don't think you can call it "experimental" just cos it's not pure psy. It still is mostly 4/4. It's just mixing psy with crap pop-commercial influences. Even the buildups are more commercial-sounding. Simon Posford is probably one of the few who can actually push the boundaries of psy successfully.

I'll still listen to it for the good bits but it's disappointing. :Sad:

Dance with me come on come on. :no:
I've found I don't like any one complete tune on this album. I like half of one tune and half of another and some of the tracks I find boring. I can’t believe I'm talking about an IM album. Still having said this Its not a stinker and there are moments in there which are great but its like you can watch a great film but if the ending is shit you leave the cinema thinking the film was disappointing.

where there's no vocals, i dont mind it. it's not groundbreaking filthy run-behind-the-sofa psy, i dont think they're doing that anymore...

i think one of them fancies himself as robert plant out of led zeppelin... there's a sort of "three pints of mild" rock n' roll swagger about it, somehow.

not a classic, but at least they've got us talking about it :P

geoffwiffen said:
I'm really liking the Mc$upervisor CD, fair enuff it ain't really psy trance... more like chunky four\four with analog synths and a few cheesy lines chucked in to show off there superior keyboard skillz. I have found it to be great fun, not very good for the psy purists, but hey I'm into some house and funk and vocals sometimes. fuck it i've said it now! "Noon" you what stoopid noises and 303 fun who can resist!! Erez Aizen seems to be bored of trance, the kid is an amazing keyboard player, but he needs to open his horizons, he has always said he wants to score movies and stuff, it's probably time they started being even more bizarre musically and stopped conforming to the 4/4 structure.

And I agree Pricey what the fuck is that Liam Howlett on, Complete drivel in my opinion especially all the rock n roll numbers with his "oasis" friends, The only track I like on that prodigy album is the breakz one on the car advert.

my two penneth!! :Wink3: :smoke:

i guess you know the prodigy album has a goin rate of 40 notes mentioned in this months record collector . i bought soley as a collectable

but on the infected mushroom material i still believe release me is there best ever production as is the gathering album which im desperate still on vynil even though i have it on cd ..

I think its really good. I can picture them grinning at each other a lot when they wrote it. Pleasing clear production. again. But they do pretty much loose me on the cheesey rocky bits though and im not sure michelle adamson's voice suits their music (and why isnt she credited in the sleeve notes?)- but maybe 'dance with me' would be wicked when played at the right time, like at a, well im not sure, heavy metal.. mr motivator aerobic excercie video for GMTV. on mushrooms. Incidentally, do you remember mr motivator? When i used to be into happy hardcore i rememeber dancing my nuts of to dj slipmat at tribal gathering '95 and suddnely at 6am mr motivator came on stage dressed in lycra and headset and everything and had the whole crowd doing animated starfish jumping excercises. sorry i know that wasnt relevant. the Experience was the only prodigy album for me - *joins in on the grabbing white gloves and whistle action* - 'the weatherman' ... that was a bit good wasnt it! now, this one time when i was in the nevada desert this frog...

tweaka said:
if i hear the word production again, im going to take something sharp to my jugular :grandad:

production.

production production production PRODUCTION.

...is not as good as it was. back in the day. when all we had to produce with was a washboard and mrs miggins' oversized bloomers. THAT was a challenge let me tell you. in fact every twangy noise on Hallucinogen's albums is made using only her knicker elastic and a standard sized household cat. pm for details :Wink3:

production.

and this frog hopped up to me and asked me the way! not being one to meddle with nature, i ignored him, but to this day i still wonder if he made it home on time..but my favorite infected track ever is that no.3 from the gathering...return of the shadows, which is BRILLIANT!

I think its important to talk about production - because it make such a big difference to how you 'see' the sound on a really good system, headphoes etc. At a certain level of production 3D 'soundscapes' start to appear in the music, which infected do really well. If the same sounds were recorded with a crappy soundcard and crappy mixer and crappy cables and they hadnt meticulously placed the sounds in the mix then they wouldnt be so successful. Im always surprised how many people dont bother and just have a repeated high hat for example with no effects or lfos and unchanging for 64 bars. Infected flip the high hat on its head, twist it into a panning spiral, send it out on a journey of reverb and then mould it into a melody, just for good measure. :Smile3:

All the great production in the world can't save the first track on the album when they allow that vocalist to start caterwauling "Dance with me." It sounds horrendous, out of tune, strained and just plain wrong imho.

:sad:

imagine if the mushies split their shit: one act for psychedelic downbeat, one for the awful teenybopper gay cheezedance they've taken a liking to and one for some seriously twisted psychofrolic mindspanking darkness a la psytrance. not only would they get richer. they would avoid getting slagged off by ppl like myself at any given chance.

and for fox ache guys: QUIT THAT BLOODY RAP SHITE (at least get an actual rap artist to do it (iv'e never laughed as hard as on the 1st track of CV CD2))

:juggle:

I think the fact that Infected Mushroom have always had a distinctive sound means that you know pretty quick whether you like them or hate them.

I like most of their stuff but find some of the chord / key changes a little strange. I love the combination of banging acid trance and comedy interludes. It makes a change for an act not to take itself too serious in the studio.

I think it's a matter of time before these guys produce the ultimate killer tune.

Really like the new CD but not listened to it that much yet. The stand out track at the mo is the one that rips off the Groove Armada vocal from Superstylin. :Grin:

Lam said:
I love the combination of banging acid trance and comedy interludes. It makes a change for an act not to take itself too serious in the studio.

Same here, its a great laugh init!! Not conforming to any rules and being a bit stupid from time to time!! coolio :Wink3:

Lam said:
the one that rips off the Groove Armada vocal from Superstylin. :Grin:

It is a right rip off init! How close to the original someone should send it to Groove Armada! The Infected one is a remix of a violet vision tune though so maybe they ripped it first! :!:

okay, my problem with this album...and many others at the moment, is that anybody who is just hearing psy trance is gonna thinkit's all about this load of pants. IDJ do a cover story and all the acts were fucking israeli...no mention of the posford or any other fekking country.

snot just about one band.

Back