Hardware Intel vs AMD

Nanook

In the kitchen, studio or gym.
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Old PC is still limping along, funds aren't fabulous, so I ended up in option paralysis.

I got as far as getting a quote from Scan on a few bits.

bez23

Adverse camber
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
How much of a performance upgrade do you need? Perhaps something can be done with what you already have.
It's not so much a performance upgrade, as a matter of my laziness.

I'm still running window 7, the build of which is getting long in the tooth and gets 'quirky' and difficult on occasion, with Cubase 6.5. I've bought Cubase 10.5, but was waiting to install windows 10 and then see which of my software will translate to Win10.

This current PC has an i7 2600K (3.40GHz) and 16GB RAM, and is prone to occasional BSODs and Cubase spits its dummy and freezes regularly, to the point where I can rarely be arsed getting into anything in any depth.

It's mainly the huge mither of reinstalling everything and then seeing what works, what doesn't, and having to adapt to the situation with a PC that might only live on for a couple more years tops (Grok built this a decade ago).

I wanted to basically future-proof the situation so I don't have to dick around with installing everything again onto a new PC when this one dies, if that makes sense.

MrHalo

Forum Member
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Would recommend the upgrade guys. You can keep everything on the hard drive the same - windows, programs, vsts etc but it will run on newer and faster hardware.

Just have to install the hardware which should take a couple hours.

Nothing better than having no limitations on doing what you want on the computer, Cubase etc

Last edited:

NabLa

Spaniard DeLuxe
Reaction score
It's not so much a performance upgrade, as a matter of my laziness.

I'm still running window 7, the build of which is getting long in the tooth and gets 'quirky' and difficult on occasion, with Cubase 6.5. I've bought Cubase 10.5, but was waiting to install windows 10 and then see which of my software will translate to Win10.

This current PC has an i7 2600K (3.40GHz) and 16GB RAM, and is prone to occasional BSODs and Cubase spits its dummy and freezes regularly, to the point where I can rarely be arsed getting into anything in any depth.

It's mainly the huge mither of reinstalling everything and then seeing what works, what doesn't, and having to adapt to the situation with a PC that might only live on for a couple more years tops (Grok built this a decade ago).

I wanted to basically future-proof the situation so I don't have to dick around with installing everything again onto a new PC when this one dies, if that makes sense.
Ah, maybe my experience might help with this as I in fact have the exact same CPU than you have. I built mine in 2010 or so and ran on the same windows 7 installation for another 8 years. Indeed long in the tooth. 32 bit daw, tons of dodgy vsts on ableton, you name it, it's there. I never rebuilt because I have a lot of projects that might stop loading properly and tbh it's a fucking hassle anyway.

Rather than splashing on a new computer and completely nuking my running system, I got a faster, newer SSD and did a whole new Windows 10 installation on it. Windows 10 I bought for a tenner or less on ebay btw. I can dual-boot into windows 7 if I need to open one of my old projects. Went full 64 bit on this one, zero compromises, not a single 32 bit plug via jbridge. Basically just Ableton Suite which comes with a lot, Virus TI and a few free plugs. It's night and day in terms of performance. Windows 10 is much better at keeping itself clean as well as audio latencies low.

The CPU itself is still good, if energy inefficient for today's standards. The i7-2600k has massive headroom for overclocking however, in fact it is famously overclockable. I can push mine to 4GHz on air cooling easily enough and probably extra if I do put in the time to fine-tune voltages.

My motherboard does support if I recall the 3000 CPU series as well. I haven't actually looked into any CPU upgrades so I'm not sure what the performance, CPU instruction sets and power gains are, but it's been pretty incremental over the past 10 years so likely not worth it. But then again, maybe it is. I'm not exactly hitting the roof on the 2600k most of the time, so I don't really have the incentive.

Last edited:

bez23

Adverse camber
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. I put an SSD in some years back, just mirrored the existing win7 build on it. I guess another boot drive is possible. Hmmmmmmmmmm...

Ratty

Sticky Toffee Pudding
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I've got a neat Accronis boot usb, allows you to clone exactly or clone and remove certain hardware drivers so you can image it onto a totally different pc.... I'll copy the files across to you when I get home... just copy them onto a blank usb stick and Bob's yer Fathers Brother