Interesting articles about music and musicians.

floatyhippyflower

Free spirit, lost soul.
Reaction score
Does what it says on the tin. I post this sort of thing on social media occasionally and mostly nee fucka give a shit, which is fine - my tastes are all over the place and can be a bit obscure, plus algorithms, plus the format is not great for discussion, blahblah. Every so often, however, a little engagement would be nice, so perhaps they would be better served by sharing with you weirdos instead. I've specified only articles in the title, but please feel free to share educational radio shows, podcasts and documentaries as well. Everything is welcome - stories, opinions, analysis, whatever. Equally, the thread is open to any era, any genre. The point is to learn more about music and musicians, discover cool new stuff and hopefully enjoy some good writing along the way. I'll start.

I absolutely loved this piece about Pauline Oliveros, a musician I admire, but one who is not always credited with the level of influence she actually had on contemporary electronica.

The fascinating story of Dounia Younes, a Lebanese singer whose recordings inspired the likes of Eno and Byrne. Her voice is just spine-tingling, up there with Bulgarian throat singing and the call to prayer in its power, but as with so many "ethnic" singers that were sampled for contemporary Western records, it is only recently she was recognised as a gifted musician in her own right.

In a similar vein, old school house producer, Yvonne Turner. She has gone on the list for further investigation because I remember the period well, but had never heard of her until this article.

https://pitchfork.com/thepitch/yvon...house-music-so-why-does-no-one-know-her-name/

OK then, nerds, let's educate each other!

Torsion Jim

PsyMusic Radio
Reaction score
Soz, I usually read most Quietus articles but never have any idea what they are going on about. I was just confessing my ignorance

But yes hurrah for education

Torsion Jim

PsyMusic Radio
Reaction score
yeh, im on board

post up that aphex quietus one. That was good. I understood that one

Last edited:

floatyhippyflower

Free spirit, lost soul.
Reaction score
For anyone that never read it, this is the article in question, which makes an excellent case for the argument that, "Richard D James' instrumental voice proposes his own unique Cornish language, one whose reflection of the landscape, its myths, beauty, violence, isolation, and weird traditions, is an uncanny Rosetta stone to this hugely misunderstood nation."

floatyhippyflower

Free spirit, lost soul.
Reaction score
This looks like a potentially interesting series for anyone into a bit of Classical. Seems quite new with not many instalments yet - I first noticed it just after they published the Stravinsky piece and as somebody that considers herself a fan of sorts, yeah, not bad! For those with Spotify, there are links to playlists in each article. I don’t use the platform myself, but scanning his rec list, there were a few pieces I wasn’t familiar with, so they’ve gone on the list. I’ll also be probing the Mahler as he's one of those composers that was hugely influential, but whose music I know only very little of beyond a couple of really obvious, ‘famous’ works. Sometimes it really is a question of where the heck to start, so this strikes me as a good idea. Page: bookmarked.

https://www.theguardian.com/music/series/know-the-score