Interesting articles about music and musicians.

Nanook

In the kitchen, studio or gym.
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
in the this interview, does he mention exactly how much he got in royalties from spotify?

No.... I didn't ask.
Where I come from, its a bit uncouth to ask how much someone earns.

Why do you ask?

Torsion Jim

PsyMusic Radio
Reaction score
i meant for each track played. As in the royalties paid by spotify. Not his annual net income.

The general consensus is that they pay $0.00318 per stream. It would be interesting to know how much this dude received compared to the huge amount of artists that seem to be getting utterly shafted

Nanook

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
I meant for each track played. As in the royalties paid by spotify. Not his annual net income.

The general consensus is that they pay $0.00318 per stream. It would be interesting to know how much this dude received compared to the huge amount of artists that seem to be getting utterly shafted

So...based off that, he'd be on around £1200 per month via Spotify.

I still don't think that's bad for a passive income source.
(Especially when it is for tracks that have been written a long time ago, and are also being sold elsewhere, AND its predictable)

Just to clarify, you realise that people make money from selling records, AND streams...
...and further more, if you've licensed your music, you have several (if not dozens), of stream sources, right?
ps -

1 - Guardian link: The headline screams entitlement.
2 - The artists are under no obligation to use the platform.
3 - I find it unethical to agree to business terms, then demand they change, for reasons outside of the service providers control.
4 - I would never expect a private business to fill a gap in my business model.
5 - I would never expect a private business, to recompense me for a loss of revenue, caused by a pandemic.

pps - Evan Greer (the person that started the petition mentioned, in the link you sent), got 700 monthly listens.
Thats nothing to do with being "shafted" by spotify...
Its barely a step better than me taking my 10 monthly listens and crying because I'm not a millionaire.
boohooo hooo.... hahahhahahahahhahahahaha

Torsion Jim

PsyMusic Radio
Reaction score
Just to clarify, you realise that people make money from selling records, AND streams...
That had occurred to me, but you said he made a living solely from his spotify income. Just wondering how that stacked up against the common claim that spotify are cunts.

You are pushing at an open door with me when you highlight whats wrong with the Guardian- its the daily mail for the 'liberal left'. I only linked that thread as it had the price per stream that i mentioned. Just incase i was asked to reveal my working.

Nanook

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
That had occurred to me, but you said he made a living solely from his spotify income. Just wondering how that stacked up against the common claim that spotify are cunts.

You are pushing at an open door with me when you highlight whats wrong with the Guardian- its the daily mail for the 'liberal left'. I only linked that thread as it had the price per stream that i mentioned. Just incase i was asked to reveal my working.

They may very well be cnuts... I have nothing to compare against, and only anecdotal "evidence" from a few friends that say they "make a comfortable" living from it...

I just wanted to show another side the argument.

But as with anything, the greatest power is voting with your feet - If people feel they are cnuts... they can stop using them innit?

Torsion Jim

PsyMusic Radio
Reaction score
Im afraid i dont understand the point of spotify. And i certainly dont understand its popularity.

But then again there is quite a lot i dont understand.

Nanook

Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Im afraid i dont understand the point of spotify. And i certainly dont understand its popularity.

But then again there is quite a lot i dont understand.

Fair play - Nice to hear your opinions though... thanks for sharing.
Back on topic... This is an interesting article, re: the grand-master...