iPod DJing!?

Yeah, read this in the paper yesterday.....what the hell?? Just more lazyness if you ask me!

The whole idea of using lossy compression for anything other than listening on in-ear headphones is something I don't like. Maybe partly down to me *definitely* being able to hear the difference on early MP3s (especially at the top end).

You could say I wouldn't hear the difference, but there's just something that gives me the shivers about the idea.

2001: "CD DJ'ing is a crock. It's lazy - and besides, i miss the tactile feel of vinyl"
2005: "Ipod DJing is a crock. It's lazy - and besides, i miss the tactile feel of CDJ's"
2009: "Brain implant microchip DJing is a crock. It's lazy - and besides, i miss the tactile feel of ipods"

etc

Colin OOOD said:
No pitch control.

That's a bit rubbish then

Purusha said:
The whole idea of using lossy compression for anything other than listening on in-ear headphones is something I don't like. Maybe partly down to me *definitely* being able to hear the difference on early MP3s (especially at the top end).

You could say I wouldn't hear the difference, but there's just something that gives me the shivers about the idea.

iPods can playback .wav files too

Monkey Do said:
iPods can playback .wav files too

Hmm. Maybe not so bad then. What's the quality of the DACs like though?

To be honest - iPod-type concept hasn't appealed to me because all the material I currently get is on CD.

So - since I'm mainly previewing material on that media, there's not much point me considering transferring it to another media.

When the day comes that I download the bulk of my material, I may have to reconsider the way I'm working.

Also - on the subject of this system. Why a *pair* of iPods?

I'd have considered a design where the tracks on one iPod could be used. Just need to buffer them in the desk.

Ableton Live is my plan for live material anyhow...

:Wink3:

Been talking to a well known producer mate who has a plan for using Live 5 in a way I'd never have thought of. Can't spill the beans on it yet though - it's a bit top secret...

veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery interesting!

I'm still getting my head around Live 4.
speaking of which, I'm off to start another thread....

Considering how shite the output signal from an iPod is I think you'd have to be a complete iLemming to buy one of these, let alone the fact that they've no pitch control etc...

Can you imagine spending all that money to end up getting a worse sound than if you were playing copied cds made from mp3s on a big system?

I was hoping they'd designed it to pull tracks off the iPods via the USB connection, but fearing they were using the iPods own DACs.

Like I say - I reckon a better design would be to just to use a single iPod as a glorified USB storage device. But then, why use an iPod - there are cheaper (and in many ways better) alternatives.

It'll never take off IMO.

Found these definitions earlier today:

iPod: This is one of those inventions that makes people say: "why didn't I think of that?" On news shows anyway. One of the anchors on FOX News said "now the music industry is waiting for someone to come along and invent the next iPod." Wow, if only I had thought of the bright idea of putting an mp3 player on a portable hard drive. Damn that's brilliant. I had that idea years ago. I also have another idea: a car that can fly. I will sue anyone who makes it.

iPodder: A pompous ass who thinks he's eclectic. Wake up asshole: you're not living in an iPod commercial. You can't dance. Everything you listen to sucks. Get a job.

Podcast: Someone had the revolutionary idea of taking a compressed audio file and putting it online. Yeah, doesn't sound so sexy when I describe it for what it is, does it you morons? It would have been a great idea if streaming audio wasn't already around for over a decade before the word "podcast" entered the lexicon. Man, I can't stand the word "lexicon." Talking about all these shitty words has made me start using shitty words. I'm so pissed, I just slammed the door shut on some kid's nuts.

Podcasting: It's snob for "streaming audio."

Podcatcher: Any idiot with an iPod, web browser, or ears.

Colin OOOD said:
No pitch control.

yeah, but *with* pitch control, you suddenly have a very large amount of music in a very portable and mixable form.. ok so maybe the quality in't great, but still - there are some serious possibilities.

maybe someone could hack the software of the ipod so that the touchy-circle thing acts in the same way as the platter on a CD deck.

oh. ditch the silly docking station and just plug em in next to your CD/Vinyl decks..

A mate told me a bout some party in somewhere or other where everyone took along thier iPod and did a 10 minute set - in competition to get the crowd dancing the most! A shit idea for trance but pretty interesting anyway :Smile3:

kariyerIpodkey!

i heard of a night at a club where everyone brings along their ipods and no music is played at the club. they stand on the dance floor listening to the own music and dancing. apparently its funny to look at with all the different dance styles. I think that the novelty would wear off pretty quickly though!!!

Back