IRA end armed struggle

Squagnut

There's a gnu in my squat
Reaction score
Click Me And Me

Given that we now have a new terror threat which means business, we might not feel much safer. But it's one hell of a good sign that talking works.

"But it's one hell of a good sign that talking works."

Or depending on the way you look at it you may say it's a hell of a good sign that bombing works (or at least gets you a seat in government).

i thought the IRA four a long tyme

they were a weervy adversary........and now after reeesent events

i respect them

thay killed 3600 peoplein fighting four what the believed in

warnings...............how life changes in an instant hey

gerry can we ave a pint? cos i think we could get together on this one and kill those bomber c**ts

ok
enuff on that

Sounds too good to be true
I guess in light of recent events bombing has become a rather messy way of getting the struggle through. South Africa would never be the place it is if the struggle climax was in this century-back in the 70's etc it was the way to get a regime-change-by bombs upon bombs from both sides.
Next: Israel will decide to end the occupation of Palestine.

Subbie said:
Sounds too good to be true
I guess in light of recent events bombing has become a rather messy way of getting the struggle through. South Africa would never be the place it is if the struggle climax was in this century-back in the 70's etc it was the way to get a regime-change-by bombs upon bombs from both sides.
Next: Israel will decide to end the occupation of Palestine.

off topic but it must have been paradise out there...... and fuck andy mc nab which is a sweydonm....or whatever...however i just made a new one....psydonnim

there is no c squadron in 22 cos they are weighting for rhodesia to reform....and thats a fact:badger:

yeah well ZA is considering carrying on with quiet diplomacy as regards our very own Uncle Bob-by lending/giving him 1 Billion bucks?

What a shame they had to kill so many innocent people to create and legitimise a political party.
Maybe Al Qieda will have a seat in the commons soon too.

Ratty said:
What a shame they had to kill so many innocent people to create and legitimise a political party.

not in my fucking lifetime

christ its all so fucked up you just manage to get used to fighting one particular kind of c**t and then it all mutates and upsets the applecart..........i could almost go back to the army but i won´t cos they wouldn´t let me use the forum......confused austria

Ratty said:
AQ aren't a political party and don't have a political wing.

Of course I don't approve of terrorist methods - I wouldn't regard this as good news if I did. Trust them? Show me a politician who is trustworthy, never mind a terrorist. Is it the end of the Troubles? I kinda doubt it.

All active sides in the Troubles have told us what they want the future to be like, although all sides also have their eyes firmly glued on the past. To use a car-driving analogy, it's like having several people all scrabbling for control of the steering wheel, and when any one of them gets control for a moment, they steer by peering myopically into the rear-view mirror.

Squagnut said:

Of course I don't approve of terrorist methods - I wouldn't regard this as good news if I did. Trust them? Show me a politician who is trustworthy, never mind a terrorist. Is it the end of the Troubles? I kinda doubt it.

All active sides in the Troubles have told us what they want the future to be like, although all sides also have their eyes firmly glued on the past. To use a car-driving analogy, it's like having several people all scrabbling for control of the steering wheel, and when any one of them gets control for a moment, they steer by peering myopically into the rear-view mirror.

nice anallogy..................deeply

crikey said:
it's a hell of a good sign that bombing works (or at least gets you a seat in government).

As I recall, that only happened once the bombing stopped.

It took the good Friday agreement and a few years of ceasefire before anyone got a seat in Government.

Squagnut said:

dont be ni eeeve

Ott^ said:
As I recall, that only happened once the bombing stopped.

It took the good Friday agreement and a few years of ceasefire before anyone got a seat in Government.

They'd already won seats well before then... they just refused to take them up.

mickeyblueiiiis said:
dont be ni eeeve
Is it naive to be just a teensy bit hopeful? I'm not saying or thinking that it's all ok now, but after hearing all sides scream NEVER!! at each other, this is refreshing. As I said, trust? No. Is there stuff going on that we don't know about? Yes. Have there been loyalist paramilitary groups bearing arms that bear a striking resemblance to British Army issue kit? Yes. Skeletons in the closet on all sides? Yes. Are the IRA trying to gain the moral high ground? Ha ha ha. Have we been spoonfed a load of crap about British involvement in Irish history? Ha hahahaaaaaaaaaa.

grokit23 said:

Bobby Sands being the most obvious example... I think I'm probably safe is saying he was the only MP ever to die on a hunger strike...

The whole history of British involvement over the last 1000 years in ireland is a messy sad story - but then again I suppose there are plenty of other examples around the world - it just happens to be closer to us so we are more aware of it...

The interesting thing for me is what the Unionist want from all this. Its quite clear what the Republicans would like (though not sure Dublin would want the invetibale grief). But what does Mr Paisley (Jnt & Snr) actually want? A return to the late 60s when Catholics were denied basic civl rights? Probably not. To remain aprt of the UK? Well the UK cares little, and to be honest I think most people in mainland Britain wouldnt really be to bothered if N Ireland did become reunited with Eire... An independet N Ireland with a prodestant majority? Well demographics are soon going to change that - with a Catholic majority in the not too distant future...

Personally I think the end of the "armed struggle" will last - at least from the Republican side, as they've got far more to gain from politcal methods now than violent ones - I think its the Unionists who are now on the back foot - and if I was Mr Paisley & wanted a bit more mainland sympathy- I'd get in touch with whoever did the IRA/Sin Fein Public Relations -c os they did a brilliant job...

how many times before have they announced this! the ira are full of crap

if they hand in their weapons and change their ways of a terrorist to a politician its only because they are scared of the americans and the fact that the police (here) now operate a shoot to kill policy on all terrorists (plus they're heard about the fantastic pension plan politicians get these days)

thats my opinion

ps - another example of religion creating misery, death, torture, robbery and rape (northern ireland is a perfect example of it)

grokit23 said:

lord mountbattern

killed on a boat

prince charles uncle

invite adams and mcginess to your bithday party...............

we think we have it hard

Always always always! Your great-great-grandfather said there'll always be horses, your great-grandfather said there'll always be slaves, your grandfather said there'll always be poverty and your father said there'll always be wars. Each time you say 'always' the world takes two steps backwards and stops bothering.
- Arnold Wesker, Chips With Everything

Squagnut said:
Is it naive to be just a teensy bit hopeful? I'm not saying or thinking that it's all ok now, but after hearing all sides scream NEVER!! at each other, this is refreshing. As I said, trust? No. Is there stuff going on that we don't know about? Yes. Have there been loyalist paramilitary groups bearing arms that bear a striking resemblance to British Army issue kit? Yes. Skeletons in the closet on all sides? Yes. Are the IRA trying to gain the moral high ground? Ha ha ha. Have we been spoonfed a load of crap about British involvement in Irish history? Ha hahahaaaaaaaaaa.

know mate...............lets hope hey

my nan sent me a calender..............wiv ian paisley on the front (orange innit)

january, february...............MARCH MARCH MARCH

Back