Iraq to launch military co-operation with Iran

Urk

Total Member
Reaction score
Yanks are gonna love this.....

http://www.uruknet.info/?p=13479&hd=0&size=1&l=x

It has been suggested that this news was " buried " in yesterdays London event.
( surly they wouldn't try it again after last time ( Jo Moore, Stephen Byers and the chancellors expenses ?? ) )

Anyone else come across it ? It is also on the BBC, but you have to look for it...

Pretty major really, if Iraq sides with Iran on this then surely it will fcuk the US plans up rather royally....

From the CIA world factbook

Known as Persia until 1935, Iran became an Islamic republic in 1979 after the ruling monarchy was overthrown and the shah was forced into exile. Conservative clerical forces established a theocratic system of government with ultimate political authority nominally vested in a learned religious scholar. Iranian-US relations have been strained since a group of Iranian students seized the US Embassy in Tehran on 4 November 1979 and held it until 20 January 1981[my bold]. During 1980-88, Iran fought a bloody, indecisive war with Iraq that eventually expanded into the Persian Gulf and led to clashes between US Navy and Iranian military forces between 1987-1988. Iran has been designated a state sponsor of terrorism for its activities in Lebanon and elsewhere in the world and remains subject to US economic sanctions and export controls because of its continued involvement. Following the elections of a reformist president and Majlis in the late 1990s, attempts to foster political reform in response to popular dissatisfaction have floundered as conservative politicians have prevented reform measures from being enacted, increased repressive measures, and consolidated their control over the government.

Fromem_Ory said:
hey, we're doing it with America... why not them...

Absolutely.

It's not the fact of what they are doing, that I saw as significant. Indeed, I believe that " this sort of thing " is certainly the sort of thing that will help Iraq.
To be working with other Arab states in the region, rather than pandering to the Zionist invaders, can only help the credibility of their government.
But, all this has happened, it seems, under US noses, which is the part I find fantastic.

The US has invested all this time, money and corpses in making sure they have a firm " foot in Iraq's door" in military terms.

Then all of a sudden ( well not quite ) they are told" bugger off, don't need ( want ) your guns defending us, we quite like to side with our neighbour now we're all chums, again"....
When that " neighbour " is in fact the declared (next ) enemy ! part of the Axis of evil, no less....

indeed, Urk!

i don't know if this is a Good Thing for the people of Iraq - i suspect not. it might just shake the CPA into doing something about actually winning the intellectual and moral battle rather than only counting the 'insurgents' they've killed...

anybody else noticed a change in the way the previously described 'insurgents' have know become ' al-queda in Iraq' on television news reporting?

Bit contrary to a few months ago when the media were reporting there was NO evidence of 'al-queda' being involved in the insurgency!

aye.

the changing linguistic patterns are so informative... the bbc has really dropped the ball as well, playing along with 'foreign fighters' and 'insurgents' and whatnot. if the first casualty of war is truth, then the zeroth casualty of war must be impartial language...

hope all is well with you Aunty :Smile3: great sig :Grin:

Quite ironic that we funded iraq against iran & Afghanistan Mujahadeen / Taliban against Russi... you would think that there was something to be learnt from all of that wouldn't you!!

Back