Is it just me or is psytrance getting better?

ichabod

Reaction score
Having just listened through most of the new releases on Psyshop for the first time in ages, I was amazed to find I actually liked the majority of them. Normally I only like about 1 in 10!

There seems to be a lot more interesting stuff combining the good elemnts of both prog and full-on :Smile3: Particularly loved the new Neurobiotics comp. Neo::Caine :icool:

Could just be my perception or a lucky month for releases? Or perhaps psytrance music is actually taking a turn for the better in general? Hopefully the latter :ibiggrin:

I think there's far too much of it releasing, but at least that raises the number of good releases hitting the market. I like about 50% of the releases people recommend, and I buy maybe 2 of 10.

I think there's tons of good psytrance around at the moment... it definetly comes in cycles though

miszt said:
what a refreshingly positive resoponse to nu Psy! but I dont agree lol....well actually therez a few artistz about I'm really enjoying atm, s>range, fromemory & lamat, thatz about it tho, for me at least, but of course I'm still a n00bie, and I dont like that full on crazy shit lol

wtf is nu psy?

Red five said:
wtf is nu psy?

it's like teenage revamped psy trance with whining lyrics and fancy haircuts

a.d.d.i.d.a.s.

Oops... didn't catch myself in time! should have remembered that whingeing is more in vogue around here :irazz: psytrance is shit!

Let me calrify... I wasn't refering to all of the Israeli full on wank! That is crap and always will be. Not sure if I'm talking about 'Nu-Psy' either (whatever it is?) Perhaps my perception could be tainted by the fact that I haven't listened to much psy for a month or so? Recent releases like the Tron and Ecliptic albums do seem to renew my faith a bit :Smile3:

Is it just me or is psytrance getting better?
It's just you.

:ino:

[edit for justification]

Every time I buy something that got good reviews, its derivative crap the same as the last derivative crap I bought (Mr Peculiar, and Bus, stand up please. )

The last thing I bought which I thought was really really good was the Scorb album

From 2003.

Oh well.

Continuum said:
It's just you.

:ino:

[edit for justification]

Every time I buy something that got good reviews, its derivative crap the same as the last derivative crap I bought (Mr Peculiar, and Bus, stand up please. )

The last thing I bought which I thought was really really good was the Scorb album

From 2003.

Oh well.

dare to disagree

while suggesting at the same time that maybe you are not looking out too much?

A *lot* of great releases since that one sorry

Ozric said:
dare to disagree

while suggesting at the same time that maybe you are not looking out too much?

A *lot* of great releases since that one sorry

You're probably right.

I haven't got the energy to look or the money to keep buying all the rubbish in case I'm lucky enough to stumble over something good.

Jaded. Thats the right word I think...

Continuum said:
You're probably right.

I haven't got the energy to look or the money to keep buying all the rubbish in case I'm lucky enough to stumble over something good.

Jaded. Thats the right word I think...

yeap fair point! :iwink:

if you want I can help with some recommendations

Reasonable way to be sure to place your money right is to download mp3's and check if you like the tunes - that's what I do and it works for me (well, unless if it's Cosmosis, Posford, Voice of Cod, EVP or something like that - those I buy "blindly" relying on their reputation).

Don't know if it works for the industry though, because otherwise I'd spend lots of cash on hyped-up releases (e.g. Bus or Mr. Peculiar that got incredible reviews here or at psyreviews.com) that in the end are shitty...

Funny thing is, that last year I bough more pre-2005 releases than 2005 releses :Smile3:

Psy is definately geting alot more diverse, Soon it'll be Spawning it's own generas if it hasnt already!

00000075.gif

Continuum said:

You would have to be a bit of a nincompoop to buy a CD based purely on someone elses review! It doesn't take much effort to listen to the samples first (or even to download off P2P to 'try before you buy'). As most people tend to buy online (don't we?) its easy to listen to the samples. Admittedly, if you buy CDs in a shop then you are may be prone to bad impulse buys.

I have never bought a psytrance CD that I don't like.

Right now I have a problem with Tron - Existence. Everyone say it's great and stuff, but listening to 4 min. samples @ saikosounds.com I really can't hear nothing spectacular, mindblowing or innovative. I'm affraid I'm gonna have to d/l it in full length to decide wether to buy it or not.

Ofcourse, if I download something and don't like it, it goes to the trashcan :Smile3:

Colin OOOD said:
Hate to have to say it but you will be disappointed at some point... listen before you buy! (But do buy! :Wink3: )

I hope you're not talking about your new album, Colin? :Smile3: Nowadays I realized that I prefer uptempo albums, but not very full-on. The most important things are the songs structure, innovative arrangement, mindblowing sounds, atmospheres and general musicality (check the new Kino Oko album to see what I mean!). I'm sure there will be plenty of those on Free Range. I bought We Are Free even without listening to samples and IMO it's the best album of 2005 (see psynews.org charts), I'm sure that'll be the case with Free Range too...

And if everything goes allright, I'll be able to listen to OOOD's first two albums soon, thanks to our earlier conversation this morning :Smile3:

Back