Is it just me or is psytrance getting better?

will be doing some prog into full on warm up at Cabbage on Saturday.....have really warmed to the progressive sound over the last year or so......at this rate I'll be listening to dark psy next.....or maybe I'm just getting old hehehehe

Jon Kenobi said:
will be doing some prog into full on warm up at Cabbage on Saturday.....have really warmed to the progressive sound over the last year or so......at this rate I'll be listening to dark psy next.....or maybe I'm just getting old hehehehe

*sarcasm* oh yeah roiiiight and i shall be listening to dub...oh hang on

Jon Kenobi said:

You're just getting old and self indulgent...how does that answer the question, "is psytrance getting better".

Back on subject I think there is some really excellent new psy trance stuff being released. I just find it frustrating how many bad dj's there are.

I would like to be able to listen to what is coming out these days. The music is constantly evolving and so are us. The navigators!!! I'm just rockin out to some PAPS 2000 HANDS cd. Truely a work of art. Very sharp and hard...I remember spending a short time with him and YUMADE in Yokohama, Japan some years ago right after this was released. The live act was of course mind bending, geneticly enhanced music!!!! I wonder if PAPS is still playing shows and festivals? YUMADE as well?:icool:

It's all in the eye of the beholder as to what is good psy and what is bad. what you like, i may hate, vice versa.
However, i will add it's becoming very hard as a dj to find good new music. I'm lookin all the time, wasting hours listening to the shit that is churned out. All just to find 1 tune if i'm lucky. If i was into cheesy melodic full on, right now i would have the fattest cd wallet you could ever imagine. Many friends of mine have actually called it a day and hang up the headphones, due to the boredom with no good new music.
Instead they've turned to the studio and have started to write their own (me too!), which sounds fat i might add.
There is gonna be some wicked stuff comin out this year i'm sure, things will change!

I think people just get older and lose interest in music that is more UK Hardtrance than Psytrance. As I've matured as a music fan and DJ, I've gravitated towards deeper music that relies more on clever bass lines and less on obvious samples and anemic acid lines. I'll gladly listen to/play deeper full-on, though there very little of said music. Mr Peculiar's new one qualifies, as does Voice Of Cod's album. As much as people piss on Infected, their last album had 6 or so tracks that are far superior to 90% of the dance music coming out now.

The mass amounts of "Psytrance" coming out of Israel has been good AND bad. I think it has greatly diluted Psytrance as a whole, but we also have gotten a few great artists out of the deal.

Frankly, I'm fine with buying 4 or 5 new albums a month. I'll continue to be hyper-selective, slowly building an invincible Trance collection. No one here knows the music, so it doesn't even matter if I'm pushing stuff that isn't "cutting edge".

horsepower said:
I would like to be able to listen to what is coming out these days. The music is constantly evolving and so are us. The navigators!!! I'm just rockin out to some PAPS 2000 HANDS cd. Truely a work of art. Very sharp and hard...I remember spending a short time with him and YUMADE in Yokohama, Japan some years ago right after this was released. The live act was of course mind bending, geneticly enhanced music!!!! I wonder if PAPS is still playing shows and festivals? YUMADE as well?:icool:

oh yeah Paps was the best!! What happened to that guy??? He did a housey kinda album then kinda vanished.
His single on Tip was awesome, way ahead of its time.

CosmoNaughty said:
You're just getting old and self indulgent...how does that answer the question, "is psytrance getting better".

sorry mr naughty....was just picking up on the progressive angle that people were talking about:

Joe said:
I agree, there is so much good progressive out at the mo but no clubs are bloody playin it!! I'm really bored of the full on pap that is being churned out i now dream of a progressive squat party, anyone organising these?

flo79 said:
Yes a progressive squat party thats it. Have not been to one in ages. It is either full on or chill out ....BORING

Joe said:
Tell me about it, the only progressive nite around is in a "big bar" and is £13! (according to access) And it only happens once in a blue moon. Where's the progressive for the poor peeps?

so as you can see it was kinda on topic.....self indulgent my arse, coming from him who proclaims himself to be the Undisputed King of Chill :Wink3:.........as you were folks

Monkey Do said:
Dunno if psytrance is getting better, 'specially considering the best CD I've bought recently is an old act being remixed by a load of other (mostly also old) acts.

it is good though hey!! :iyes:

Yes, it's good to be super selective, but when there is no access to even know who is making the nice sounds for me these days, it's rather a headache to try to keep up with who and what everyone is talking about. I'm still trying though.

Nice thread guys! I've been asking myself the same questions. Beeing rather new to the psy side of things I always thought it just sounds better and better 'cause I'm getting more and more used to this side of the musical spectrum, learning to understand the language and stuff, developping a sense for it and therefore apreciating it more. Personally I think the progressive influence on most full-on nowadays is the best thing that could have happened to it. I know it becomes a bit comercial sometimes, but in general the sounds sort of melt into eachother and become more balanced. I have a very low tolerance span towards mad gnarling basslines and frantic high end mayhem if theres no juicy sweet progressive warmth and harmony sitting right in the middle of it all. Indeed that Neo::Cain does it just fine

Back