Is the emerging popularity of the Conservitives, linked to rise of Cocaine?

jimmy3000

One setting, total
Is the emerging popularity of the Conservitives, linked to rise of Cocaine, as in late 1980's. Did the cocaine attitude that underpinned the delightful virtues of selfishness and greed and "no such thing as society" Conservative view of that time? And is it on the way back?

jimmy3000

One setting, total
I am beginning to think that joining this forum was a mistake, I have had a lot of fun here, and there are some lovely people, but I am finding it dissatisfying, the above post is sort of typical here.

Warwick Bassmonkey

Average Sized Member
In a recent study, I plotted a graph of the popularity of the conservatives against time, and also the popularity of cocaine over the same time.

There was no match whatsoever.

Does that answer your question satisfactorily?

grokit23

God mintsmak
Seems fair to me. :Smile3:

Sorry Jimmy, but your question struck me as a bad drunken-pub-banter question, the sort that gets a laugh quickly, because there's a little bit of humour to it and then gets demolished quickly as it's not very well thought out.

jimmy3000

One setting, total
I understand how it might seem, but I have been thinking about it for a long time. What is the explanation for the 80's? I was in my teens back then but everyone wanted to be a yuppie, 'greed was good' And the two major drugs were Heroin and Cocaine.

You may not agree with me but I think there may well be a link. Is it really so crazy a suggestion. And what if the Cocaine attitude becomes the fashion, again?

I realize that some people will be put out by the fact that I am disrespecting their new friend cocaine. But this post is not about the drug itself, it merrits or otherwise.

O

Ott^

jimmy3000 said:
I am finding it dissatisfying, the above post is sort of typical here.

You asked a question and I answered it. What possible problem could you have with that?

O

Ott^

jimmy3000 said:
I am beginning to think that joining this forum was a mistake, I have had a lot of fun here, and there are some lovely people, but I am finding it dissatisfying, the above post is sort of typical here.

Translation:

*Whine* Why can't everyone just agree with me..?

jimmy3000

One setting, total
Ott^ said:
Translation:

*Whine* Why can't everyone just agree with me..?

There is also the outside possibility that I expressed how I was feeling by what I said. I know it sounds incredible, what could possibly be dissatisfying about the response "no" to a forum discussion?

I am not surprised that you are a little bit touchy talking about the Conservatives in the Eighties, as your Avatar does look rather like Margaret Thatcher, the hair outline is perfect.

O

Ott^

jimmy3000 said:
There is also the outside possibility that I expressed how I was feeling by what I said. I know it sounds incredible, what could possibly be dissatisfying about the response "no" to a forum discussion?

I'm sorry - you appear to have me confused with somebody who gives a shit.

I am not surprised that you are a little bit touchy talking about the Conservatives in the Eighties, as your Avatar does look rather like Margaret Thatcher, the hair outline is perfect.

Hmm. Good observation.

All queue here for a serious debate with a man who thinks the late Dr Robert Moog looks like Margaret Thatcher.

:irolleyes

jimmy3000

One setting, total
Ott^ said:
I'm sorry - you appear to have me confused with somebody who gives a shit.

Protesting a bit too loud there chum.

Hmm. Good observation.

All queue here for a serious debate with a man who thinks the late Dr Robert Moog looks like Margaret Thatcher.
:irolleyes

Sorry about that Dr Moog, I thought it was Ott. I am really kicking myself, we were having such an intelligent discussion and now I have ruined it, by posting a silly comment.

O

Ott^

jimmy3000 said:
we were having such an intelligent discussion...

No "we" weren't.

You were making stupid remarks like;

jimmy3000 said:
I realize that some people will be put out by the fact that I am disrespecting their new friend cocaine.

and;

jimmy3000 said:

...implying that anyone who doesn't concur with your "theory" is either a coke-head, a Tory, or both.

How clever.

D

dave arc-i

watches interestedly from the sidelines as jimmy3000 bites off a little more than he can chew...........

O

Ott^

Good point Felix.

jimmy3000 said:
What is the explanation for the 80's? [...] the two major drugs were Heroin and Cocaine.

It is a matter of record that the 80's was the decade that Ecstacy exploded into the world, LSD experienced a massive resurgence with the advent of ACID house and everybody I knew smoked hash and grass.

Heroin and Cocaine have been popular drugs for at least the last 100 years - I have seen no evidence for a rise in their use during the 1980's.

Moreover, Thatcher and the Tories were elected to power in the late 1970's.

My "explanation for the 80's" would be that, at the time, we needed a decade to fit in between the 70's and the 90's and so the 80's would appear to have been chronologically appropriate.

The 50's just wouldn't have fitted.

jimmy3000

One setting, total
Ott^ said:
Good point Felix.

It is a matter of record that the 80's was the decade that Ecstacy exploded into the world, LSD experienced a massive resurgence with the advent of ACID house and everybody I knew smoked hash and grass.

I agree with you totally, and the use of these drugs I believe underscored the whole attitude of the Nineties as did, as I am suggesting for you consideration, Cocaine did in the Eighties. The whole alterative hippy, summer of love drug revival was still underground in the late 80s.

Heroin and Cocaine have been popular drugs for at least the last 100 years - I have seen no evidence for a rise in their use during the 1980's.

The 80s was the cocaine decade in my view. I respect you opinion, but I read a lot of drug history. The film Blow with Jonny Depp is accurate, in case you don't have time to read up about it.

Moreover, Thatcher and the Tories were elected to power in the late 1970's.

My "explanation for the 80's" would be that, at the time, we needed a decade to fit in between the 70's and the 90's and so the 80's would appear to have been chronologically appropriate.

The 50's just wouldn't have fitted.

Okay good one, but what are your thoughts about the who "greed is good" yuppie thing of the Eighties?

O

Ott^

jimmy3000 said:
The whole alterative hippy, summer of love drug revival was still underground in the late 80s.

The Sun "news"paper was referring to Acid and Ecstacy on its front page as early as 1987 - you don't get much more overground than that I don't reckon.

All illicit drug use is "underground" and always has been. That is the nature of illicit drug use. In 1987, cocaine users were as "underground" as ecstacy users.

Cocaine was never "overground". What you are describing is a lazy media myth - the stereotype of the yuppie in his red braces with his bottle of Krug and his Porsche 911.

Well paid city stockbrokers existed well before the 1980's and still do to this day. What I suspect you are picking up on is the media recognition of the stereotype which was more often wheeled out in late 90's nostalgia programmes than at the time.

How many times have we all seen that SAME film clip of the yuppies in a City wine bar with their bottles of bubbly, huge grey mobile phones and wads of money sticking out of their breast pockets? You know the one I mean - it has become part of our collective cultural memory of the time.

Its the same "yuppie montage" they always wheel out when trying to signify the "decadent 80's" - invariably followed by a New Romantic with thick black lipstick and a whacky haircut and a shot of a bloke in a Sinclair C5. And honestly - how prevalent were they in real life?

My memory of the 1980's [I was there too you know...] was of traveller convoys and indie music and cider and hash and Purple Aum blotters and these things called E's that made you feel like you loved everyone and could dance all night.

Speed was way more prevalent than coke [£8 a gram] and weed still had seeds and sticks in it.

I was around drugs and drug users for most of the 80's and I didn't encounter cocaine until about 1991. I've still never seen a bag of smack in my life.

There has always been a smack scene and there has always been a coke scene and I suspect what you are referring to is the age when the media woke up to it and felt bold enough to openly discuss it.

The film Blow with Jonny Depp is accurate...

How do you know?

...what are your thoughts about the who[le] "greed is good" yuppie thing of the Eighties?

I think it was an invention of the media.

The right wing media perpetuated the stereotype because it served to reinforce the image of the Tories being good for wealth generation and prosperity.

The left wing media perpetuated it because it reinforced their position that the Tories and their policies promoted greed and decadence.

In reality, i believe that people and their drug habits remained largely unchanged.

jimmy3000

One setting, total
dave arc-i said:
watches interestedly from the sidelines as jimmy3000 bites off a little more than he can chew...........

What's your thoughts dave arc-i, are we heading back to the "hip to be square days"

O

Ott^

Incidentally, I see absolutely no evidence of;

jimmy3000 said:
...the emerging popularity of the Conservitives...

as you put it.

Evidence?