Is there much Ozone Layer left?

Mayhew

Socrates... 40 fags a day
Reaction score
i have noticed when the sun is out in autumn winter the last couple of years,that you can feel it quite strongly on your skin.....surely this cant be right ?up to a few years ago if the sun was out in these 2 seasons you couldnt feel the sun and it was still really cold as it should be

mr_cool

~~~~~~~~~
Reaction score
its not too bad over the northern hemishere, and most people up here don't seem to appreciate how bad its got in the south of the world. people in australia seemed pretty turned on to the fact that something must be done. you can definitely feel the diffference over there

RedZebra

Reaction score
Yeah, I'm Australian and TBH it's pretty funny hearing people over here getting worried about the heat of the sun!
15 minutes outside in the heat of the day and you can get burnt there.
We needs more :sun:!

(PS last I heard I think the ozone hole over antarctica is actually improving since the banning of CFCs etc).

grokit23

God mintsmak
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
As an aside, does anybody else here see some contradictions in the amount of nitrous some "greenminded" peeps are now doing at parties and the fact that it is a greenhouse gas? So many have managed to give up on using aerosols for deodorants, deodorant manufacturers stopped using cfcs as much, but now they just bosh more nitrous of a weekend than they'd use in months worth of deodorant cans.

pugzly

um...
Reaction score
Duno about the ozone but they recon by 2075 thewre wont be any polar ice caps left
a bit worrying

mr_cool

~~~~~~~~~
Reaction score
grokit23 said:
As an aside, does anybody else here see some contradictions in the amount of nitrous some "greenminded" peeps are now doing at parties and the fact that it is a greenhouse gas? So many have managed to give up on using aerosols for deodorants, deodorant manufacturers stopped using cfcs as much, but now they just bosh more nitrous of a weekend than they'd use in months worth of deodorant cans.

people don't mind about the planet if they can have fun. i mean outdoor parties in woods aren't exactly good for local wildlife but we all go to them.

the problem is people think that they are just one person and that their actions wouldn't affect anything at all, but when everyone gets this idea in their head....

SugarPixie

unforgoatable
Reaction score
I'd just like to point out that ozone depletion isn't the only problem, but in lots of cities, especially in summer during anticyclones, the ozone produced by cars and other machines can't get away so sits around being bad for your health. Apparently Mexico City is especially bad for this.

(un)interesting fact: if you smell a funny sweet smell round photocopiers, that's probably ozone. Photocopiers make it. I'm not intimately aquainted with the processes inside a photocopier, so I don't know why.

I found a world map with ozone levels charted on it, with several years in order to compare years. I'll have a look for it, but i'm not too likely to find it, and I don't remember the trends too well.

Taika-Kim

Junior Members
Reaction score
The CFC situation is a bit mixed... Altough the global ban on CFCs should improve the condition, increased airplane exhausts and atmospheric warming (stratosphere temp in the arctic is actually lowering because of this, which is a catalyst for increased ozone breakdown...) are making the situation worse.

So, better think twice about those airplane trips next time...