It's the "What audio interface" question.

jibberer

Jibbering Wreck
Reaction score
Hello!I've just taken the plunge into the world of computer music after messing about for a couple of years with hardware synths and a hardware sequencer (which I thoroughly enjoyed, but could never ever ever arrange any of my patterns on the miniscule screen). So I invested in a Powerbook with Logic Express. I've got 3 hardware synths and I'm wondering if anyone can recommend an audio/midi interface that's obviously not too expensive? I'm not too hot with computers. I live in Japan and my local muso shop only has Edirol and m-audio products. Are these any good? Advice that I understand is hard to come by out here...I must connect my synths to my computer soon or I might cry...I'm a bit disappointed with the soft synths and sounds that come with Logic...Thanks for any help!!:Smile3: :bananada: :smilemus:

I had an Edirol 4-port USB midi interface and it was perfect. Never went wrong, installed easy, and just worked. Recommended.

{edit} make sure your interface has enough ports so that you don't have to chain your midi devices. In my experience this is where problems start...

Thanks for the reply! That's one of my dilemas that everything in my price range has only one midi port... would it maybe be better to use a seperate audio and midi interface? For the audio I'd really like six ins and 2 outs. I also just thought about getting only a midi interface, and worry about getting the audio into my computer later...

jibberer said:
I'm a bit disappointed with the soft synths and sounds that come with Logic...

Hmm - what have you used to listen to them? I suggest giving them a listen through a decent soundcard and speakers, if you haven't already. ES-M alone is a bass monster, ES-1's deceptively powerful and the Logic native effects hold a candle to much more expensive stuff. Having said that, for Audio work, the Emagic 6/2 interface seems to be what you're after (you may have to mail-order it though, if what you're saying about your local shop is true), and the M-Audio Midisport 2x4 seems to be the closest to what you're after in terms of MIDI interface.

J.

Er yea bit of a silly thing to say...didn't mean it to sound so damning...I have a tendency to exagerate. I was a bit dissapointed with the ES-1, I guess because that kind of synthesis is the only kind I really understand. It just seems a bit light on features; only 1 envelope generator, no hpf. I just can't seem to get any squelchy sounds with the filter envelope. The colour's kind of gross as well! I did get a good bass sound though. I'll try the ES-M next for bass. The effects are way better than anything I'm used to, but I also can't get good drum sounds...need get a drum programe of some sort. Can you recommend anything for Logic (psy trance)?
It's also a bit frustrating changing the parameters with a mouse after using hardware synths...must get a midi controller argh! Must learn about other types of synthesis...must get good monitors...must get good cables...must get drum machine...must get money...must get new job...
Thanks for the advice on the E-magic and the M-audio. I'll look at those!

I have a midi man 4*4 midi interface that is surplus to requirements ..... if you intersted PM me ...... it works fine ..... yours for oh idunno ..... £40 quid ?

i would recommend thoroughly scouring the net for drum sounds (.wav) download loads, keep the ones you like, bin the ones you dont, then begin building kits in your ESX24's.

Logics ES2 synth rocks :Wink3:

Theres an old thread somewhere, started by Colin OOOD i think, listing a shat load of download sites...go have a dig!

I'd recommend M-Audio, whatever size/configuration suits you. The Audiophile 2/4 does midi and sound together but if you want more midi I/Os then you probably want to go for separate Midi transmitter and sound card. I run the Emagic midi transmitters, 4/4, 8/8, whatever you want, no complaints.

A lot of the Emagic presets are a bit on the "gay" side, but this doesn't mean that they aren't powerful instruments. Keep fiddlin'. As for drum sounds, you'll have to build your own library. Get hold of Recycle as this means you can turn any beat that you like into an EXS instrument with separated hits in no time at all.

And if you want there are many free soft synths about that are perhaps more trancey (if that's what you're after). Apparently Vanguard is available in freeware for mac users. That's a cool easy-to-use trancey synth with presets that make a lot people smile.

Thanks for the advice everyone! I shall not sleep until I have scoured the net and built the perfect kit...:badger: I think it will be the seperate midi and audio interfaces. Thanks for the offer Jamez, but I live in Japan so it's probably a bit to much hassle to organize.:Smile3:

Back