Jaia Interview

Geoff3

Direct DJ
Reaction score
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Found this interview from Jaia, So thought I would post it up here... Looking forward to the New album Fiction On Digital Structures, I need some slighly more sexy prog sounds for the summer!! :Smile3:[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]JAIA – Gaian Mind Summer Festival 2005[/font]
jaialogo1.jpg

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]1. Thank you for taking time for this interview. First of all, where did the name "JAIA" originate? [/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]JAIA was "Ja" for "Jean-Michel" the guy with I've starting the project, and "ia" for "Yannis" ...it was sounding quite nice, so we decided to adopt it :Wink3:[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]
jaiapic.jpg
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]2. How did you first get involved with writing psytrance? Did you have a prior background in music?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I've learn musical theory for 2 years when I was a about 10-11 years old, then I played piano and keyboards in some rock bands. In the beginning of 90's I was starting making trance tracks, in the style of German progressive trance around at time in the style of Eye Q, Superstition. But not professionally, because I was studying in the University and didn't have enough equipment to produce in a professional level anyway. I heard my first “Goa†tracks in 94, and it was really a shock...in the same time I met my partner Jean-Michel, and we decided to put our equipment together to produce our first tracks which where released in 95 on the French label Fairway Records.[/font]

jaiastudio.jpg
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]3. Please take us through your creative process: what inspires you, what equipment do you use, and what is your general method of composing a track?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Regarding the inspiration it's quite difficult to answer... It could be simply a sound, which inspire the others, and by the way I build the track... other times, this is a particular idea like a track on a certain theme, to suit in a concept. It's what I have done in my new album or before in the "Blue Energy" one... some other times I think I'm trying to create by myself a sensation, an emotion, I have had trough past personal experiences (musical ones or not). There's not really a method of composing a track. The rule is trying to put sounds together to create something I like, which suit to what is in my head (see “inspiration†before :Wink3: My equipment is an old Pentium III PC with Win98 and Cubase VST, but I'm not often using VST instruments. I'm using audio and midi 50/50.. I have a lot of hardware stuff: Juno 106 (great for fat basses!), XV3080, MS2000, SG-01, Nordlead, EX-5, JD-800, Triton, A3000 and EPS16+ samplers, and some FX processors like the M-ONE or the Composer. I'm mixing on a 24 channel MX8000 Eurodesk Berhinger, and recording on DA-20 mkII DAT recorder.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]4. You are currently involved with several projects. Please describe the various projects you are involved with, including collaborations, as well as solo projects, and how they are distinct in their sound.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]-I have an electro-house project “Kama & McGregor†with an another guy who's house DJ and producer. We will release or first EP on Deepen Disc, with a remix from Jay Tripwire :Wink3:
-There is an another side-project with Silicon Sound together and we actually are working on an album. The sound of this one is trance mixing uplifting full-on and some progressive influences .. The name of this project will probably be Even 11 and our first track “Oblivion†will be released on the next Exposure Production comp.
-I'm also collaborating with him and BLUE PLANET CORPORATION to a side-project “ALTITUDES,†The first track of ALTITUDES is a downtempo one, and it's released on first Chill Tribe comp, a new chill-out label from Norway.
-I recently collaborated on some tracks with FRENCH KISZ too, a French house band (one track is still released on the last Tribal Vision comp), and few years ago with WIZZY NOISE.
-I've also produced some clubtrance tracks, but I released only the first one few years ago, “Truquoiseâ€, on the “Clubber Vol1†BNE compilation under the name of SLEEPER. The truth is that I don't have enough time to invest on this project... I have 3 more unreleased clubtrance tracks but I never send them to any label ! :-D
[/font]

jaiapic2.jpg
[/font]​
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]5. Are there any other future collaborations planned, and if so, with whom? Also, who would you like to collaborate with if you had the chance?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Future collaborations are not planned for the moment, except with FRENCH KISZ, and continuing to work in my side projects. I must say I really would like to collaborate with Digital Structues artists such as TICON, SON KITE, or VIBRASPHERE... and the WIZZY NOISE experience was great so I hope to collaborate with them again. One of my dreams is to work with Simon Posford too! And a collaboration with ASTRIX it's something I really want to materialize one day... But if big artists I admire like JUNO REACTOR, TIMO MASS, MUSE, TELEPOPMUSIK, AIR, BJORK, or DEPECHE MODE would like to work with me I'll not refuse of course :Wink3:[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]6. Recently you collaborated with your former bandmate Jean-Michel Blanchet on the track "Alone." Do you two plan to work together again any time soon?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]We talked about collaborating again maybe in a trance track, but nothing is really planned.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]7. Your style is quite diverse. How would you describe the current Jaia sound to someone who has never heard your music? Will your live set incorporate your older sound as well as the new?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Let's say that's now a crossover of progressive trance, progressive house and uplifting psy-trance... and also downtempo and ambient music regarding the downbeat tracks. I'm trying to make a floating and eclectic music with deepness and emotion. My live set will probably be only the new sound, but even so I'm thinking to incorporate 1 old classic track :Wink3: ...[/font]

jaiafiction.jpg
jaiabluesyn.jpg
jaiabluener.jpg
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]8. You have released several downtempo tracks over the years, and are performing a downtempo live set at the Gaian Mind Festival. Have you ever considered releasing a downtempo album?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Yes! Maybe the next album...I don't have yet decided.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]9. You have been involved with the psytrance scene for over 10 years. What has been your most rewarding experience so far?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]It's quite difficult to answer because there's not only one rewarding experience... but maybe the best ones are the collaborations with other artists, and for sure the 2 remixes I have done with BLUE PLANET CORPORATION for Mylene Farmer, a well known French singer, because it was really interesting and exiting to work in a different musical circle than the usual trance one! And of course the travels in the different countries I've gone for gigs were each time really different and rewarding experiences.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]10. Besides making music, what are some of your other interests?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]I'm interested in everything which could have a connection with art and creation. I really would like to learn to work graphic design and artwork... hope this project will take shape soon. But in the most of my spare time I like to be with my friends, read, go for a walk into nature... or doing nothing, just to daydream! Simple things.[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]11. Before the interview ends, is there anything else you would like to say?[/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Just would like to inform people that my new album “Fiction†is out in June on Digital Structures :Wink3:[/font]
jaiasphere.jpg
[/font]
[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thank you so much for taking the time to do this interview. We are excited to see you at the Gaian Mind Festival![/font]

[font=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Thank you too for this interview, and I'm also really exited to play at the festival![/font]

there's a 3 page interview with Jaia in the new Mushroom magazine, sorry can't type it all up here, but well worth tracking down a copy.

It does mention a Jaia remix contest, which sounds pretty cool..

Mushroom magazine International #120 June 2005 said:
Please send an email to jaiaremix@mpdqx.com and we'll get back to you with all the needed information including a link to download the original track + the samples and an email to speak with Jaia if you need any support on making the remix. The winning remix will come out in the fall together with a collection of remixes of the Jaia album 'Fiction'

Silicon Sound Versus Jaia album will take some time so till then you will have to satisfy your apetite with the 11:30 monster Oblivion on next Exposure Productions compilation and the remix that Wizzy Noise made to this tune that will be released somewhere in September.

Johannes is finishing his album for Neurobiotics so after that he can focus on the album along with Yannis.

By the way i suggested them to use Deep Blue as a name for their project and not Even 11,how do you like it?

yeah, i reckon Deep Blue is a better name :Smile3:

11.30 minutes? now that's a tune i'll look forward to having. it'll take over from pleidians - modulation as my emergency "need a dump in the middle of my set" track :Wink3:

There is no album yet to hear :Wink3:

One new track just got finished,the album will be ready in the new year.

Deep Blue comes from the movie and i chose it because it has that melancholic and mystic feeling like Silicon Versus Jaia music :Wink3:

oo i was talking about fiction

anyone heard it?

i enjoy the sil s vs jaia track from dig performers - he played it last in grenoble in feb when we saw him to finish the party! but the sound system was turned down quite a lot for the rest of his live set because of the poor locals having their sunday lunches ruined - so i wondered what's the tunes are like as can't remember / couldnt hear!!! :? :Smile3:

Got the new Jaia album gave it a quik preview last nite, sounded really cool, some lush Proggy sounds, with loads of nature and jungle fx... interspliced with some ambient intro's, 1 track builds towards a more Psy Trance sound, but generally slick slower sounds with some funky bits and amazing drum work!!

More Info when I have got into it more!

nice!
it's right next to me now unopened with set 5 (only 8 tracks :huh: ) and x noise but i'm stuck in the office !!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!!!!!!!!!! :runaway:

canyouhearthegoblins said:
nice!
it's right next to me now unopened with set 5 (only 8 tracks :huh: ) and x noise but i'm stuck in the office !!!! aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!!!!!!!!!! :runaway:

X Noize you lucky bugger, just spotted that came out, have ordered and will be waiting for the postie!! bet you will have fun when you get out the office 2nite :Wink3:

what? set 5 is out ?

*stomps feet*

Jaia is just sublime ......... *drools* ......

Really like the first half of the Jaia CD, Orchestra 2_0 with its prog interspliced with classical is an adventure, and Eyengui has some quality quirky sounds, they're class moments and its about 130-135bpm Damo! :Wink3:

Back