July 7th - Compensation

Poncho

mago del señor
Clicky Click ---> http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk/4741579.stm

So Victim groups describe £11,000 as a pittance for compensation for losing people in the bombings. (this sort of thing winds me up, they should count themselves lucky that they get anything, most governments wouldn't have even though of it)

Some families got £2m for sept 11th attacks.

But should they get anything? People die everyday and the families don't get any help form the government. Why is one family more deserving of government cash depending on how there relative died?

Does this pay out mean the government accept responsibility for the deaths?

Is £2million far to much to pay out? Is £11,000 enough?

Rich.

Squagnut

There's a gnu in my squat
The 9/11 payouts were ridiculous. I can't see a way to calculate an amount, if any should be paid at all. I don't want to sound uncharitable there, but I don't know. 11k doesn't seem much, but... yeah, people are killed by traffic every day, people die every day. What bugs me is the media printing lists of the fatalities, photos and personal details and all that. If anything, if I had been bereaved, I'd want compensating for a private personal loss being made so public. The press reaction creates a victim culture, which leads to all kinds of nonsense and lengthens the healing process, even tho' that's a process which money just cannot help.

Urk

Total Member
Poncho said:
Does this pay out mean the government accept responsibility for the deaths?

Intresting point Poncho, I can think of no other reason why they would.....

Would a persons' life insurance usually cover this sort of thing ?

( Or am I being nieve to think that most people have life insurance ? )

Monkey Do

#1 Internet Toughguy
Poncho said:
But should they get anything? People die everyday and the families don't get any help form the government.

But you do have the whole criminal injuries compansation stuff which is dependent on circumstance which is fair enough, families of those killed by hit and run drivers or killed in random axe bludgeonings are eligable for that.

Same should be true here.

Poncho

mago del señor
Well, most people who have a pension with their employer also have some form of life insurance, normally 4x your salary if you die whilst working for them. also most mortgages have life insurance attached.

The BBC have just updated the website with more info, seems liek £11,000 is the basic then you can make it upto £500,000.

One of the groups is suggesting that they should get 100 times as much. and that the pay out should be more than a token.

I feel that if a pay out is to be made it should only be a token, for example, my mum passed away recently and as a result loads of people have been sending us money this seemed odd to me and seen as we don;t need the money a bit pointless, but at the end of the day we had £2,000 which has gone to breast cancer care.

shouldn't the government be using the money to make our country safer? seen as no amount of compenstation can bring anyone back we should be focusing on making it harder for this sort of thing to happen again?

Poncho

mago del señor
Monkey Do said:
But you do have the whole criminal injuries compansation stuff which is dependent on circumstance which is fair enough, families of those killed by hit and run drivers or killed in random axe bludgeonings are eligable for that.

Same should be true here.

I agree entriely that the same rules should apply for any compensations through criminal injury, i'm just a little unsure how families how have sufferred some ofrm of crinimal violence are more entitled to it than families that lose some one though natural causes?

and wheter that implies the governemnt feel responable for the incident be it murder or terrorist bombing.