Just found this: Digital Structures online MP3 shop

it's all the bits of the music that human ears cannot actually hear taken away. great u think, nothing to worry about

but they are the bits you feel. it makes a difference when it's loud enough. for home listening wicked, and for smaller rigs too but gotta have those low frequency waves surging through you

glen (iboga) said:
well to quote the site

'all the music is available in 192 & 320kbps mp3 or 320kps AAC'

Does that mean it's at 44khz? How much different is 320kbps from CD?

i really don't know much of the science behind it, but as far as im concerend 320 is good as you get with mp3... i would say just as good... but if you rip a song to 320 and compare the original file size to a .wav file which would be the 'uncompressed' file... there is a big size difference still... so im not sure. With electronic music in particular is where is important to have all the juicy goodness cause the lows go... low and the highs... you get the point :Wink3:

Drat Mafia said:
it's all the bits of the music that human ears cannot actually hear taken away. great u think, nothing to worry about

but they are the bits you feel. it makes a difference when it's loud enough. for home listening wicked, and for smaller rigs too but gotta have those low frequency waves surging through you

i don't think i have any equipment at home where i can honestly sit down and make a test in the sound quality and tell the difference between an high quality mp3 and wav file... and my infinity speakers sound pretty decent just like my headphones. My guess is, this is simply a market for mp3-players and the added touch of convinience... if you are thinking about playing in a big system or for DJ use my guess is the cd/ vinyl is a better purchaise anyway... point being is nice to see companies diversfying their products and distermediating the middle man... thats what the internet is all about !

I think it would take an *very* well trained ear listening on high quality monitoring speakers or headphones to distinguish between 320kps mp3 and uncompressed wav. I would challenge anyone to tell the difference on a rig, regular DJ headphones or a normal home hifi. Still for the sake of the purists I think the website should try to offer losslessly compressed versions. File sizes can be reduced by around 50% without any quality loss whatsoever.

I've A/B compared one of my own tracks in 320kbps MP3 and WAV format, and there are definite differences, in particular with the way MP3 messes with the transients at the beginning of kickdrums and bass notes, especially when the track is quite full. Unless you listen to them side-by-side though you wouldn't know, as 320 is pretty damn good. However I would still never knowingly play an MP3 through a big rig, as the differences are there.

Back