Kick and Bass Reverb

greententacle1

Forum Member
Hy guys,
i did a few tests with alot of reverbs, iam interested what works best for you.
Trying to give kick/bass a space, more 3dish „room“.
What do you use for that?
So far i have tried:
Valhalla reverbs
That tc plugin
Lexicon bundle
Eventide reverbs
Adaptiverb
Hyperspace
and a few more..
What works best for you, and how do you process?
Thanks!!

Kick-Flip

Forum Member
I've never applied reverb to a bass but it might be cool depending on the sub genre of psytrance, or maybe in a break section of a track. What I WOULD do however - apply the reverb with the use of an envelope, this is easy in Serum for instance. The point is you don't allow the reverb to affect the initial transient but rather let it ''slide in'' on the bass not and also cut out fast. Don't want nasty reverb tails on the end of a bass note as I can imagine that creating a bit of a mess.

greententacle1

Forum Member
Thanks guys!
looking more for a non moving 3dish space, not a real reverb with pre delay and all that.
not that simple, doing tracks at 130-145 bpm.
need to experiment more.

whitedog

Lunar SeeD
Thanks guys!
looking more for a non moving 3dish space, not a real reverb with pre delay and all that.
not that simple, doing tracks at 130-145 bpm.
need to experiment more.
Convolution reverb then, maybe? There are plenty of real-world impulses in the public domain...
(High pass advice still applies)

psyfi

Pie Fly
All depends on the style your aiming for. I do find that a verb on a kick with a low shelf rather than a cut can add a great deal to the sound. It can mess it up too but if it sounds wrong it is. you should be able to know. I don't use it on psy that much. Not written any for a good while' But for other styles like synth wave for example it can be great, have a listen to some on youtube and see if any of the sounds they achieve might be transferable to your style of psy.

Last edited:

NabLa

Spaniard DeLuxe
I've been listening to a lot of synthwave / cyberpunk types lately and much of the stuff they do transfer wonderfully to psytrance and viceversa. Not everything as tempo is important.