kick drum science

Little Nemo

Reaction score
or is there a thread on this already.. i guess maybe as you're prob all kick drum addicts.. :Smile3:

we been using synths w sine waves etc or just filters w res set to max and setting the VCFEG to get the pitch over time change... akai sampler seems to do this pretty good too but having trouble with the z8 as it seems to introduce some wierd digi noise on short bassy sounds... don't rememeber the 3200 doing this, i will dust it off n check it out...

also experimenting by getting a fundamamental freq and then layering with harmonically related tones...

any tips and trix u people wanna share...?

kix

ahhh its all the same eh...
the pitch goes "deow, deow"
whether you get the pitch from a self oscillating filter or an oscillator mattereth not- what matters is the shape of the envelope (filter and/or amplitude envelope as the case may be...)
the starting frequency, the ending frequency, the time it takes to get from one to the other...
my kick was a microwave xt- its fundamental is 43Hz while its 2nd harmonic is 86 hz...
fyi...

also- make sure you end up with a mono sample... slight stereo variations belong on other things- not kick...

Geez!

Do you guys MAKE kicks? I sample them - I've got them ALL somewhere or other.

Get some sample CD's or something. What am I missing by not making them? I never heard or wanted a kick I couldn't get....?!

:huh:

P.S I'm getting a cracked Logic 6 on OS X with the ES2 and reaktor.

So sue me.

:hehe:

I'll let you know - The guys are software developers - without revealing too much - I know the shit is good.

:smokingr:

Logic is about 6 million lines of code apparently?! Like that means anything :?
These guys are cracking all sorts on Mac for free (dom).

It will change my life if it's true. Freezing, better engines, better automation (by far) and overall better pooling of resource. I'm gonna shit my hole when I get the ledgendary ES2, r4eaktor, esx and AbSyNtH 2 all running in OS X in MY NEW HR624 MACKIE Martha Firkin studio.

Check it:

1 macintosh 2 technics 2 pioneer CDJ500s 1 crap mic/gituar line in - All into my DJM500. Balanced Line-Outs straight into the beastly HR624's and a Roland CD recorder thing (it's pretty damn shiny too)

I've got it ready to roll. I just need a stylee swivel chair and I'm set to go.

I'm gonna send one down the lift to the basement car park and nick it quick-sharp!

:o :lol: :Wink3: :runsmile:

Nice one Zaven, sounds like quite a studio set up! I hope the crack of Logic 6 works well :Wink3: Anyone got any ideas when it's gonna be 'ported to PC? I'm sure they can bridge some of the gaps using some form of CLR... fingers crossed!

RE: Kicks - I've recently been enlightened by 'PsyFi' as to the production of kicks on the ES2. It's really quite simple, just using the basic sine wave and then setting the pitch envelope to several envelope settings - try 4 seperate settings and this gives you a decent amount of control.

Once that's done just roll off below about 40Hz and drop out some mid-range EQ. The result (if you've got it right) is pure phat psy-kick :Grin:

Sounds great without even worrying about a limiter, although I found that helped once it was accompanied by a full tune.

Pricey said:
Nice one Zaven, sounds like quite a studio set up! I hope the crack of Logic 6 works well :Wink3: Anyone got any ideas when it's gonna be 'ported to PC? I'm sure they can bridge some of the gaps using some form of CLR... fingers crossed!

RE: Kicks - I've recently been enlightened by 'PsyFi' as to the production of kicks on the ES2. It's really quite simple, just using the basic sine wave and then setting the pitch envelope to several envelope settings - try 4 seperate settings and this gives you a decent amount of control.

Once that's done just roll off below about 40Hz and drop out some mid-range EQ. The result (if you've got it right) is pure phat psy-kick :Grin:

Sounds great without even worrying about a limiter, although I found that helped once it was accompanied by a full tune.
Boooooooooooom
You can do the same thing with the cutoff set to enverlopes and the rez turned up it's just a case of mucking around till you get what you want.

i asked on another post but after a bit of searching ta ta .. i find this :Smile3:

a way to make a kick on m ac ... yeay

Once that's done just roll off below about 40Hz and drop out some mid-range EQ. The result (if you've got it right) is pure phat psy-kick

but could i be cheeky enough to ask for screen shots... im a bit confused about the envelops bit ...

pleeeaaassseeee :Smile3:

I too, would like some screenshots - I've also been trying out PsyFi's technique with a reasonable amount of success. I'm struggling a bit with the envelopes to get that midrange punch though!

Faction: Sorry about that heh.

PsyFi: Thanks for pointing me in the right direction.

Back