Korg's new toy - teaser...

which bit of kit are you talking about? :huh:

The one in the movie saying something like - next chapter.

Just interested since Korg do sometimes produce some really interesting kit.

OK - if those rumours are true, it's probably not that interesting (unless you're a big name synth dude with a lot of cash to throw around).

Maybe some of the tech will trickle down to us peasants?

yeah surely. something like the electribes maybe. I never got to play with any of them although I'd be very interested. I used to have a korg ms2000 and liked its filters a lot but had to sell it eventually. it had a knob for almost every single parametar too. wasn't the best synth ever or anything but it sure was fun and you could get a lot out of it just due to having all those knobs. was fairly cheap too :Smile3:

I've had the electribes through my hands.

Fun little devices.

Only thing that annoyed me about them was: no envelopes (and little other modulation)!

Everything effectively had / has a sharp attack.

Seb Taylor (Shakta) uses the EA1 in his live sets quite effectively though...

The new ones (EM-X & ES-X?) are quite nice though- even if they still suffer from the same modulation setbacks.

I used to own a Prophecy, but after also owning a Z1 for a while - I couldn't justify keeping the 2. The annoying thing about the Proph was *very* quiet outputs, which meant more gain on the mixer. That meant more *noise* too and the necessity for noise gates. The Z1 95% does the same job as the Proph with it's own extra features, so that's stayed in my studio. Shame it's so *big* though!

I'm also using a Triton Extreme as my master controller and PCM playback KB (for those non-trance gigs). Nice to have a workstation in reserve!

I also had an MS2000. It was *alright* I suppose, but what I really wanted was a proper analogue (so I now have a Moog Voyager instead). Keyboard on the MS2k was a big cheap and nasty too.

What else Korg... Oh yeah, used to own a rack Wavestation SX when it first came out, but it blew my mind as a first module. Too complicated with too small a GUI, so it didn't last long. Might be tempted to get the Wavestation in software form at some point. Someone gave me an *extended evaluation* copy a couple of months ago, so must give it a whirl at some point. If the legacy stuff seems good, I might wait for the price to drop further and buy it.

Wonder if they're ever likely to do a VSTi Proph or Z1...? I'd bite their hands off!

Frankly I am surprised synth companies are still making hardware anything.

I thought this was the future? That shit collects too much dust and costs 10x as much as CD rom with software on it.

You still can't get software *real* analogue.

:Wink3:

My musical partner - Pascal (OVNI) has an all hardware studio. Only uses Cubase 3 for sequencing. He's very much an analogue dude (with smatterings of FM a la DX7 and a couple of PCM based sources).

He can't generate the same signature sound via software, and I don't blame him for sticking to his methods. Gives him a unique sound.

His battery of Teisco synths plus the other analogues are all sequenced and driven via CV. He effectively uses them more as proper instruments - he knows all their foibles and uses them with an intimate knowledge.

You listen to one of his tracks and you can hear them all going slightly out of tune sometimes as things progress. That might be by accident most of the time, but it sounds *right* and sometimes *makes* the track.

Personally - I'm going the hybrid direction (HW and SW). The best of both worlds. Gives me something to use *live* too, rather than turning up with a tiny controller and a laptop...

Yeah - I had heard rumours about the VSTi.

Also heard that those screen shots are faked.

We'll see.

My KB is not going anywhere though since I'm using it as my master keyboard - it does a good job on that front. I've no regrets buying the keyboard so far.

OK - it'll depreciate, but it'll do that anyway (has done already). I didn't buy it as an investment.

;o)

It would be good to see that Korg are giving its customers the option of going hardware or software. I reckon that would be a good move!

Being able to move patches between the two systems would be great! Might tempt me to look at the VSTi if and when it lands.

My German is sketchy, but I'd be surprised if the VSTi is close to being as powerful as the hardware (currently).

Many musicians (for some time to come) just aren't going to go the software route. There's always going to be a segment looking for hardware solutions.

A gigging keyboard player just wants something that *works* and he/she can rely on.

Software is great in the studio, but I'm not *yet* convinced we have a good platform for hard gigging musicians that's generic platform based...

I've only worked with 1 live *trance* act that trusted VSTi's for live use. Will probably change in time though.

Christos - how do you want Pascal to get in touch?

Yeah - I had heard rumours about the VSTi.

Also heard that those screen shots are faked.

We'll see.

I did feel a bit guilty for trying to wind you up but I couldn't help myself
:Wink3:
it is a hoax, you've heard right , hehe, here's a link that proves it

http://www.kvraudio.com/forum/viewtopic.php?p=901654

you love your korgs, don't you ?!

I've only worked with 1 live *trance* act that trusted VSTi's for live use. Will probably change in time though.

is that Wizzy Noise ? did I guess right ? Mickey loves his ppg (still:Smile3:

anywayzzz, i'd be grateful if you could pass my contact details to Pascal , assuming he has internet access (you can find them under my profile here) or maybe pm me his phone number and I'll give him a bell.

my wishes for a smashing New Year to you, Lynn & the crew
I'll try to visit Leeds this year (I hope:Wink3:

all the best,
c .k.

Actually it was Mitch Davies doing a solo Mumbo Jumbo on a laptop with one of my KBs as controller...

Wizzy did us a DJ set.

Haven't heard from Mitch in a while now - must try and get in touch with him at some point and see how things are. Maybe the day-job is eating all his time...

Happy New Year to you and your tribe too.

Back