Label DJs - what are they???

JohnM

blah blah blah
Reaction score
Anyone any idea what a "label DJ" is? I've seen it referred to on other sites and in promo blurb I get sent when I'm meant to be reviewing CDs.

I can obviously understand if someone has released tracks on a label or works for the label, but not clear what it means beyond this - how/why would you be a label DJ if you hadn't any actual connection to the label? anyone any ideas?

jamez_23

Blah
Reaction score
*zips mouth*

*mmmrrrgghhrhrhhr*

(It is a mutually benificial association in most cases)

ZINI

Reaction score
JohnM said:
someone has released tracks on a label or works for the label, but not clear what it means beyond this

I thought thats what it meant. Maybe not so.

lurk

Stunning Cunt
Reaction score
it doesn't mean much really (says the guy who is dj'ing for two labels at the moment :ilol:Smile3:

basically a label dj represents/promotes said label; in return (and to aid the process) the label furnishes said dj with all the latest unrlsd killllaaaaaars; it also (supposedly) helps the dj get gigs, cos u fill in for the main man if he is busy.

to be perfectly honest, it's not so much more than the dance music equivilant of the old boys network (although this is also to do with the trust factor, cos no label boss wants to give brand new tunes away to someone he doesn't know).

Nanook

In the kitchen, studio or gym.
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
plays the labels tunes out n about,
mixes compilations,
not sure other than that, but thats what i rekon it should be <?????>
or prehaps a friend of a friend who cant make music <?>
:Grin:

just guessing really :Wink3:

bez23

Adverse camber
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Someone who plays only the inner label of a piece of vinyl, bypassing the black plastic groove altogether in favour of a 'scccccrrrghhhggccgggssssssccrrccrrgghh' noise. At high volume.
Uses a lot of styli, but keeps the music on the record in PRISTEEN condition.

Sorry.

grokit23

God mintsmak
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
:irofl: Sooo addicted to the black stuff they won't dare play it itself.

jamez_23

Blah
Reaction score
bez23 said:
Someone who plays only the inner label of a piece of vinyl, bypassing the black plastic groove altogether in favour of a 'scccccrrrghhhggccgggssssssccrrccrrgghh' noise. At high volume.
Uses a lot of styli, but keeps the music on the record in PRISTEEN condition.

Sorry.

dont be sorry !! :lol:

Moonquake

not a bum!
Reaction score
liquid ross said:
hmmm .. sure it quite a variety of things .. most cases the DJ who represents the label .. through playing their music and style /... also to help bring music into the label and act as A&R too !!

exactly what I was going to say...:irazz:

BEDOUIN

waffle waffle... no life
Reaction score
If you really really dig the style of a particular label and get offered to represent them by playing their tunes..... it helps the Dj and the label because if the crowd like what you play and it sticks out...they'll check out what the label has to offer to a futher extent.

Plus it helps get the Dj get gigs because it makes it easier for a promoter to figure out what style they're going to get.... especially if it's one with a unique style :Wink3:

hope I didn't waffle there

JohnM

blah blah blah
Reaction score
Thanks - this all makes sense now - basically it seems to spring out of psy's obsession with unreleased (killaaarrgghhh) tracks - obviously everyone cannot have the tracks before release, but if only one of two folk have them - no body would hear the tracks... hence a net work of lable DJs

Interestingly (well maybe not too interestingly unless you've got a geekish interest in music's history) Reggae tunes were very similar with the studios/labels having deals with sound systems for pre-release tracks - in fact i can remember reading an interview with some UK reggae act from the early 70s who got a bit pissed off as all the sound systems kept hassling them not to release the track "just yet" until they got a few more plays out of it & the tune ended up not coming out until about 18 months after it was recorded and everyone had heard it to death by then...