Laptops

Biggins

Cake Or Death
Reaction score
hey up,

I realise that this kind of questions is kind of like a "how long is a piece of string" question but can anyone give me a bit of guidance on the minimum specs that you would need a laptop to be to make music on (i.e. so i can get a sensible amount of things running with out the laptop dying)??

i've only just started, so no need for state of the art stuff just summink to keep me occupied wghiulsttravelling. would be using cubase sx, albino, battery, kontakt, absynth, and a few freebie VSti's........512MB? 1Gig??

answers on a postcard

cheers
B

grokit23

God mintsmak
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
There's some useful stuff there, but that page is 2 years out of date really.

Biggins

Cake Or Death
Reaction score
hmm..good starting point cheeers mr 'mind :Smile3:

kind of confirmed my first thoughts on memory size. i guess the nice thing is that its not like i need (or can afford) cutting edge stuff. just summinki can wibble about on....

:Smile3:

any more for any more???

Biggins

Cake Or Death
Reaction score
nah, well i've started in on cubase and kind of like it and wanna continue to learn. looking at the many posts about various bits of s/w the general consensus is that its better to get your teeth ito logic or cubase

Trancey

Surfing the Zuvuya
Reaction score
Laptops 4 Production

Purusha said:
Hmm - sure you sent it to the right place!?

Please share Chris - I'm sure that quite a few of the rest of us are interested in this topic. :Smile3:

I've played around with cubase and reason on a 1.5GHz, 512MB laptop, with external extigy soundcard for a couple of years now (cost around £800 new) - this is fine for 'wibbling', but I would expect that anyone trying to do production quality stuff, running loads of effects and plugins is going to need somethig a lot meatier - dual processor at least, and that rules out all but the most expensive of laptops!

I also tried DJ'ing for a while on laptop, in Goa, but the setup was useless without a DJ friendly control surface - and even then you end up carting almost as much stuff around as you would with CDJ's.

Biggins

Cake Or Death
Reaction score
Dell Dimension 2400 - 12 months warranty (end July 2006)

Celeron 2.60Ghz processor
512Mb RAM
80GB Hard Drive
3.5 Floppy
PCI Modem Card (Dial Up)
USB 2 ports
Ethernet Connection
Mouse
Keyboard
15" Dell TFT Monitor
Microsoft Works + other software bits

Total price for the package - £295.

on the intranet at work?? is this a good deal??

Full Lotus

Hob Nob King
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Stay away from Celeron

Full Lotus

Hob Nob King
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Cuz they are not very powerful for your music making needs amongst other things

Full Lotus

Hob Nob King
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Reaction score
Celeron is a low end Pentium style chip aimed at the bargain end of the PC market. Get yourself a Pentium-M Centrino gubbins in yer lappy :Wink3:

ChrisCabbage

Forum Member
Reaction score
It's not that I don't want to share - it's that Chris (Biggins) lives not far from me.

I agree that Celerons are probably a bad idea since I believe they're cache-limited (one of the things that make them cheap).

As far as laptops go - Pentium M & Centrino seems to be the way to go if you can afford it, for several reasons.

For laptop processors and chipsets, Intel seem to have the best tech at the minute. Best (as in lowest) power consumption (performance to power ratio is good). The Pentium M is based more on the P3 and doesn't have the P4's long pipeline. The P4's long pipeline seems to cause effective latency spikes which means running down at very low latencys is not always possible.

Depends on what Chris wants really. A general purpose machine, or a DAW specific machine. Also depends on how much he wants to spend.

Definitely go with a machine with graphics chip that has its own memory. UMA graphics is generally *bad* since you're sharing the memory bus with the graphics chip.

To be honest, I'm not sure what the AMD *mobile* CPUs and chipsets are like, but the general feeling I'm getting from forums is that Pentium-M is a good solution.

Also - my big tip on laptops ('cos I've been bitten by this issue before). This is one scenario where you might be better off with a branded machine (Sony, Dell etc.). Going for a cheaper non-branded option can mean that the support for that machine is bad. E.g. you have a BIOS that causes latency problems in itself. Dell had problems on older laptops where once the fans kicked in, 75 milliseconds got eaten in servicing the interrupt. Totally out of the control of OS. With a smaller non-branded machine, your power to get these kinds of issues sorted is not good. With Dell, we the users (I had that issue on my Inspiron 8000) hassled Dell 'til they fixed it. Took a couple of months, but with pressure they did something about it.

Biggins

Cake Or Death
Reaction score
hmmm..okies...well..i follows all that. the thing is.....and if i'm honst, i want summink that will be pretty much only used for making music, aside from the odd jaunt to the internet cafes and stuff for email.

it has to do nuffink else. the other thing is....i don't really wanna spend a milion pounds because i cant justify it (wish i could). am gonna chipping into my savings for this so i have to look for a budget option that i can go away with, make some noise and learn on...its not like i'll producing high end stuff cos as far as i can work out that takes years to get to and i am merely weeks down the line....and if i do get into it then i can upgrade to a better machine (maybe i'm at the stage that trancey was at a while ago).

i'd been looking at these reconditioned things on ebay (waits for sharp intake of breath) where there were dell laptops with about 512MB and P3 (which i see now may be a better option than P4). after chatting to a guy at work who has a mate (mates rates :Wink3: ) at dell he was saying thathe agreed with thhe celeron/pentium thing and that might need to spend upto about £450 on summink that he could get thru his mate (i'm weaiting to see what he comes back with)

but summink like this:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-Latitude...6802709838QQcategoryZ3713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

or

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/DELL-PENTIUM-...6802666521QQcategoryZ3713QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

this one defo having a serparate video memory i think

and yeh i would rather go for a brand cos it kind of makes sense....