legal challenge to election date

D

dave arc-i

Birmingham city council deputy leader John Hemming is launching an action in the high court relating to concerns over postal voting fraud! This could result in the May5 date for the election having to be postponed.

Spanners in the works - cat amongst the pigeons and all that then!

grokit23

God mintsmak
Reaction score
Oooh, now that's interesting!

An interesting way for him to get more publicity at the very least. His points are quite valid, but surely leaving it all this late before doing something about it...

D

dave arc-i

i wouldnt say it was overly politically motivated in that sense - the fraud has only recently come to light as a result of an inquiry into the local elections in all/part of birmingham - this guy was head of the inquiry - difficult to do much with conflict of issue stuff regarding the inquiry and i believe the subsequent failed appeal/s for one or more of the three(?) found to be guilty of the fraud.
In the time scale of the high court i dont see political expedience or profile raising as a part of the issue more a generally held concern that postal voting is open to abuse - these concerns have already been raised in the media about SUBSTANTIALLY raised applications for postal ballots in marginal areas. Codshit maybe but there is certainly a smell of trout on the breeze I think!

grokit23

God mintsmak
Reaction score
That could well be true and I really hope it is, the cynic in me just wants to jump on him though. Don't forget that this isn't the first time that there have been major problems with voting in Birmingham. There were similar investigations 4 years ago which exposed much the same sort of crap going on then, it's not like it's just a recent issue which has been exposed there. Then, it was Khalid Mahmood standing for Labour in Perry Barr, who won thanks to 140 postal votes. The average number of postal votes in surrounding constituencies was about 10-12, which is what brought it to peoples attention.

After he took up his seat in parliament he was later able to distinguish himself by being voted the stupidest MP in parliament by The Guardian and still managing to keep the party onside enough to duck all attempts at having him deselected this time round.

Really though, good luck to him and I sincerely hope he gets changes made to the system that need to be made.

Stuoolong

Professionally fluffy
Reaction score