Licensing Laws

Bird

Forum Member
Reaction score
Yay for the new licensing laws. Except does anyone know about the new laws they have snuck in on the back of them?

It used to be that 3 or more people performing required an entertainment licence but now it is one. So all open mic nights, DJ sets in late bars, anything like that require an ents licence which costs thousands. Dancing is also considered performing so one person swaying rhythmically to music is ilegal. I think there was a case in London where people have been prosecuted for dancing.

Anyone know anything about it?

(Added to which, if a pub fails to gain an extended licence which is perfectly likely the new hours are out at 11. No drinking up time. Every one has to be out at 11 on the dot)

It reminded me of hearing about case in Russia before the Iron Curtain lifted when a load of peeps were brutally beaten for standing up at a concert.

thats Awful news - new bands have always been a big part of british culture and if we look back over the last 50 years. we made a difference and put ourselves on the map with our music and talents.

Now that seems to be taken away. i think this is very sad - not just for the trance scence, coz we are pretty tough when it comes to getting round the coppers - but things like open mic nites and new band nites in clubs really really help the local community

Cunts

i agree - cnuts! control freekz, buck-passers and tax collectors thelotothem. it'l be window tax again next.

i have read the original bill, which made specific exemption for religeous assemblies, trade fairs, cinema, and morris dancing. though even these provisions were discretionary. altogether not really my kinda party. have you heard anything further bird?

I may be mistaken, but as far as I can tell this has been blown up out of all proportion as what used to happen was that every time more than two people performed in a pub, a separate entertainment licence had to be applied for. However, with this licence you apply once and it's a for-all-time licence which means you can always have whatever performers you wish performing without having to apply for a specific licence for that event. So it's really not as bad as it at first sounds. Dancing on stage is performing, dancing if you are a member of the audience can not be classed as a performance, that's just hysterical nonsense.

"i have read the original bill, which made specific exemption for religeous assemblies, trade fairs, cinema, and morris dancing"

so if we throw a holy-morris-dancing whirl, morris-based film festival, and a sticks bells and hankies craft fairwe shoul;d be in the clear you mean?

Firstly...

the new licensing laws will come into effect on Thursday 24 November 2005.

There are diffrent kinds of liscence now, its now possible for someone to apply for a 'premisis' liscence which runs from 11pm - 5am, this process has been made very easy for people to do now, but it cannot be obtained in the old way (ie' going to the magistrates court)

This liscence comes on top of the personal liscence which runs 11am - 11pm (10:30am - 10:30pm sunday), drinking up time still applies and always will :Smile3: 11:20pm you get kicked out unless they have a premisis liscence

Slight changes to members clubs laws....

* nobody can be admitted as a member, or to any of the privileges of membership without an interval of at least two days between their nomination or application for membership and their admission
* a person who is admitted as a member other than by prior nomination or application must wait at least two days between their becoming members and their enjoying the privileges of membership
* the club is established and conducted in good faith as a club

This makes it harder to put on entertainment by saying its a members only club...

Of course Private parties are still not included in the PEL structre :Wink3:

It used to be that 3 or more people performing required an entertainment licence but now it is one. So all open mic nights, DJ sets in late bars, anything like that require an ents licence which costs thousands. Dancing is also considered performing so one person swaying rhythmically to music is ilegal. I think there was a case in London where people have been prosecuted for dancing.

True, but this is not really that new, its just making sure that pubs get there PEL sorted before they do things like pop/band nights or kareoke, becuase obviously the police and legal system dont have enough to do already...

It has ALWAYS been illegal to put on entertainment without a PEL, nothing has changed except the structure of it.......dont worry peepz :Grin:

All in all it doesnt really make that much diffrence, except that now I wont have to go down my dodgy 24 hour shop to get beer @ 6am when I need a pint, I can find a pub! :Grin:

For more info... http://www.culture.gov.uk/alcohol_and_entertainment/

Back