Links for Woodland Commissions UK

MoonWatcher

The Psyientist :)
Messages
993
Reaction score
0
Location
Fernando Poo
After the unfortunate business at the weekend concerning parties vs nature, I feel its a good idea to post up some info about woodland and forestry commissions around the UK. I check up on whats occuring every now and then, as I have a love for woods outside of partying too! A lot of peeps think the police/forestry commission made up the butterfly story, but sadly they didnt. But parties ARE wonderful, and you cant experience anything like them anywhere else I feel! So if topical issues and conservation area awareness is more widely avaliable to all we would know any areas which are an obvious no-no for stomping grounds!!

Ive included a couple, but please, anyone who knows of any more in your area add them here!!!

Thanks, Moonie. xxxx

The Forestry Commission - http://www.forestry.gov.uk/
The Woodland Trust - http://www.woodland-trust.org.uk/
English Nature - http://www.english-nature.org.uk/default.asp
 

eT

Staff member
Forum Supporter
Messages
2,926
Reaction score
2,101
Location
Berkshire

doivey

Forum Member
Messages
1,719
Reaction score
0
Location
.bristol ...
as the weekends Alternate Perception party apparently damaged/wiped out the butterfly population of the local area perhaps it is appropriate and interesting to look at a butterfly conservation website


www.butterfly-conservation.org.uk

not sure which species was wiped out at the weekend, but maybe the information is in there somewhere..

anyway heva is the butterfly know-it-all :hehe:
 

Technognome

Professor of Ecognomics
Messages
7,053
Reaction score
221
Location
Henley-on-Thames Rah!
Daave said:
as the weekends Alternate Perception party apparently damaged/wiped out the butterfly population of the local area perhaps it is appropriate and interesting to look at a butterfly conservation website


www.butterfly-conservation.org.uk

not sure which species was wiped out at the weekend, but maybe the information is in there somewhere..

anyway heva is the butterfly know-it-all :hehe:

Highly unlikey. I'm no expert but I'd imagine the butterlys are in 4 stages

1) caterpilars
2) crysalises
3) butterflies (these ones only live for 5 days
4) eggs - laid by the soon to be departed butterflys

So unless Mr Forest Ranger has some sort of super magical buterfly egg tricorder I seriously doubt he has the faitest idea what the current state of the local butterfly population is.

PHLUR :sun:
 

Drat Mafia

Total Member
Messages
2,168
Reaction score
0
but lets say you caught them all as caterpillars and stomped them all, no butterflys, no fucking no pupae no future......

I can completely see how you could wipe out a certain population of insect with a big party.
 

Goz

Psy-Richard
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Messages
8,306
Reaction score
2,462
Location
Oxford
Drat Mafia said:
but lets say you caught them all as caterpillars and stomped them all, no butterflys, no fucking no pupae no future......

I can completely see how you could wipe out a certain population of insect with a big party.

So do ALL butterflies only appear for 5 days a year?

So that means when there are butterflies there must still be caterpillars and eggs around?

So that means that even if you did stomp on all the caterpillars there must be another batch of unhatched eggs around?

So whats the issue?

Just a thought :Wink3:
 

Drat Mafia

Total Member
Messages
2,168
Reaction score
0
Goz did you stomp all the caterpillars?


DIrty mind dirty duvet m8.......

EDIT: Oh no wrong thread sorry :Smile3:
 

Goz

Psy-Richard
Staff member
Forum Supporter
Messages
8,306
Reaction score
2,462
Location
Oxford
I tried goddamit .. but they kept hatching :sob:

:Wink3:
 

Meijin

Member
Messages
713
Reaction score
0
Location
Biodiverse City
I actually have the largest UK moth resident in my garden, the Death's Head Moth, which pupates on stinging nettles - its very cool when a (huge) catapiller because it has a human skull pattern on the back of its head (to scare the birds) -
anyway, I don't go crashing about my garden
I also have lizards too
and frogs
toads
snails
foxes
hedgehogs
bats at dusk

in fact I can hardly do anything AND ITS MY GARDEN!!! I protest!!

but not bad for the inner city :Smile3:
 

heva

mischief-maker.....
Messages
1,818
Reaction score
20
Location
front left
Technognome said:
Highly unlikey. I'm no expert but I'd imagine the butterlys are in 4 stages

1) caterpilars
2) crysalises
3) butterflies (these ones only live for 5 days
4) eggs - laid by the soon to be departed butterflys

So unless Mr Forest Ranger has some sort of super magical buterfly egg tricorder I seriously doubt he has the faitest idea what the current state of the local butterfly population is.

PHLUR :sun:


The species that was effected is the Duke of Burgundy, which has in suffered a massive decrease in population in recent years, specifically in woodlands. During the 1990's the species has suffered an 8% decline annually. It now exists in less than 20 woodland sites in England. The peak flight season for this butterfly is the 3rd and 4th week in May (i.e. now), during which time it lays its eggs. This specis is of high conservation concern and is subject to a Species Action Plan (part of the UK's BAP).

I suspect the ranger has a very good idea of the current status of the local butterfly population. Sites where there is a species of conservation concern are undoubtedly highly monitored, as are many other sites in the UK. The UK has an excellent record of butterfly populations in the UK, and sites are monitored on a weekly basis between April and September.
 

Meijin

Member
Messages
713
Reaction score
0
Location
Biodiverse City
Yeah - there certainly isn't any need for further disturbance from us given the unknown consequences of impending climate change on our native species
 

Drat Mafia

Total Member
Messages
2,168
Reaction score
0
oh and meijin its actually the Deaths Head Hawk moth..............


yes I am smug
 

Technognome

Professor of Ecognomics
Messages
7,053
Reaction score
221
Location
Henley-on-Thames Rah!
heva said:
The species that was effected is the Duke of Burgundy, which has in suffered a massive decrease in population in recent years, specifically in woodlands. During the 1990's the species has suffered an 8% decline annually. It now exists in less than 20 woodland sites in England. The peak flight season for this butterfly is the 3rd and 4th week in May (i.e. now), during which time it lays its eggs. This specis is of high conservation concern and is subject to a Species Action Plan (part of the UK's BAP).

I suspect the ranger has a very good idea of the current status of the local butterfly population. Sites where there is a species of conservation concern are undoubtedly highly monitored, as are many other sites in the UK. The UK has an excellent record of butterfly populations in the UK, and sites are monitored on a weekly basis between April and September.

Yep posted this link yesterday Link quite relevant really :Smile3:

I was responding to Daave's assertion that the local butterfly population had been 'dammaged/wiped out'
not that he had even bothered to find out what the species was.

While I agree that the ranger had a very good idea before the party I was suggesting that a claim that the population had been dammaged or wiped out was going to require some serious long term scientific empirical data rather than a bannal 'oh no the butterfies are all dead and the sky is falling in' wailing and gnashing of teeth. Tho I now suspect that Daave just jumped wildly to his conclusion rather than bassing it on anything a ranger said! :rolleyes:

The sort of study that someone mentioned in the thread on GD re Castle Morton where 20000 people had no decernable effect on the local butterfly and reptile populations.

Still think holding parties on nature reserves is a stupid idea mind. Which was the entire point of the thread until the extincktion crew wandered in...

PHLUR :sun:

PS If you use magic map try customising it to show things like SSSI ect It'll only do 8 different things at once tho. Even does common land and ancient monuments. :Grin:

And no drat not all butterfies live for 5 days just the ones in question.
 

doivey

Forum Member
Messages
1,719
Reaction score
0
Location
.bristol ...
Technognome said:
I was responding to Daave's assertion that the local butterfly population had been 'dammaged/wiped out'
not that he had even bothered to find out what the species was.


:huh:

i was only saying that because this is what i had read from the Alternate Perception posts :sad:

i don't personally believe it has been wiped out/destroyed, although have no idea as i didn't even attend the party and have never been to Denge (sp) woods




daaves assertion, never heard such rubbish :p
 

heva

mischief-maker.....
Messages
1,818
Reaction score
20
Location
front left
Technognome said:
So unless Mr Forest Ranger has some sort of super magical buterfly egg tricorder I seriously doubt he has the faitest idea what the current state of the local butterfly population is.


I was responding to this rather flippant comment about 'mr forest ranger' not having the faintest idea about the current state of the local butterfly population. That's kind of like, his job.
 

Technognome

Professor of Ecognomics
Messages
7,053
Reaction score
221
Location
Henley-on-Thames Rah!
heva said:
I was responding to this rather flippant comment about 'mr forest ranger' not having the faintest idea about the current state of the local butterfly population. That's kind of like, his job.

Make wild conclusions get flipant replies :P

PHLUR :sun:
 
Top