Links for Woodland Commissions UK

Imagine someone came to your town or hatch house or whatever, with a fat soundsystem, loads of sweaty hippies and bags of drugs!

what would you say?

Electric_Grampa said:
Imagine someone came to your town or hatch house or whatever, with a fat soundsystem, loads of sweaty hippies and bags of drugs!

what would you say?

Err!

Wicked lets ave a party!

Two's up on your drugs geezer!

Your gona need to make the questions harder matey :lol1:

PHLUR :sun:

yup, sure am!! was kinda off it at liquid, effingham, and came up with me fourm name - mild green fairy of liquid! lol (twas much funnier at the time!) :p

In case anyone on this thread didn't catch this in Gen Disc -

http://www.psy-forum.co.uk/psyforum_vb/showthread.php?t=29647

- a bit more detailed info on the nature of the breeding site. I now have the name and email of "mr forest ranger" and will drop him a line in a while to enquire into the status of the population.

I haven't posted yet but like to read the threads. My opinion is that all mother natures creatures(humans included) have a right to go about their business free from uneccasary stress. There should be more awareness on the concequences of actions. One butterfly species may not seem to matter much but everything is inter-connected, the eco-system is a vunerable thing that can be knocked out of sync by thoughtless actions. It all depends whether humans think they have a right to do what ever we want but thats not true, with our supposedly higher brain capacity we should look out for the other creatures to help make the world a better place( cheezy i know)..
Now im not dissing parties out doors has always been the best place. The historical record shows that.
Being outdoors is an oppurtunity to connect with the wild spirits, maybe the system was too loud and no-one heard the butterflies. In an ideal world there would be designated sites for outdoor parties away from specific nature concerns, like dis-used farmland or brownfield sites.
But we know thats not gonna happen soon.
Thanks for letting me ramble.

have a right to go about their business free from uneccasary stress

Devils Advocate I know, but would you also apply that to Organisms that destroy other organisms (catpillerz kill plantz)? eg Virii and Bacteria...HIV for example? where does it our line of concern stop when decieding what we can do and not do?

maybe the system was too loud and no-one heard the butterflies

good point :Sad:

In an ideal world there would be designated sites for

we have these, but with the liscencing, health and saftey and beurocracy that makes it impossible for the free party people to work with :Sad:

It is very important that consideration is given to the eco system when organising these things, and sometimes mistakes are made, but hopefully learnt from aswell :Smile3:

yup, sure am!! was kinda off it at liquid, effingham, and came up with me fourm name - mild green fairy of liquid! lol (twas much funnier at the time!)

lol Moonwatcher, well i get it at least :P hehe, well Hi over here aswell anywayz :Grin:

Devils Advocate I know, but would you also apply that to Organisms that destroy other organisms (catpillerz kill plantz)? eg Virii and Bacteria...HIV for example? where does it our line of concern stop when decieding what we can do and not do?

A good point to put across, was thinking about that after my post. I feel that some of these organisms don't seem to have the freedom of choice that humans seem to be able to have. A catepillar dose not decide(as far as i know) whether to eat the plant , it just has to for the continuation of its species. Where as we can with due consideration decide to hold a party or not. Bacteria and viruses have been around a lot longer than we have and again to my knowledge don't decide to attack someone ,they just do in order to reproduce. Bill Brysons book-A short history on everthing- has a brillant chapter on these creatures, it really is amazing to think that everthing we hold dear in this world could have come from a single celled organism.

Lets hope out there someone is coming up with a solution that works for everybody/beast. In my mind the free party scene is about respect , not just an excuse to get out of your head, when you could do that just as easily at home in some semberlance of comfort.

As i said b4 outdoors is always best but sometimes its good to take a look around you.

RESPECT.

leyland2blue said:
I haven't posted yet but like to read the threads. My opinion is that all mother natures creatures(humans included) have a right to go about their business free from uneccasary stress. There should be more awareness on the concequences of actions.
Are you sure you're thinking this through? Do you avoid treading on ants and wear a mouth mask so's not to breath in and harm germs, as the Jain monks do? Respect for all living things is a good concept but like everything else it can't be done as an absolute, it requires compromise and adaptation to the real world.

leyland2blue said:
maybe the system was too loud and no-one heard the butterflies.
Eh? You can't be serious.

There's really no need to tie oneself in philosophical knots over this. Just learn from it and adjust future behaviour to make sure we don't do it again!

Earthling said:
Are you sure you're thinking this through? Do you avoid treading on ants and wear a mouth mask so's not to breath in and harm germs, as the Jain monks do? Respect for all living things is a good concept but like everything else it can't be done as an absolute, it requires compromise and adaptation to the real world.

Eh? You can't be serious.

There's really no need to tie oneself in philosophical knots over this. Just learn from it and adjust future behaviour to make sure we don't do it again!

No i was n't that serious but maybe its a consideration. I take it you like the music as loud as possible? I used to but now im not so sure.

No i don't try to avoid ants or wear a mask to avoid breathing in germs but talk of compromise suggests having a bit of consideration for other points of view whether you eat plants or like to dance in the woods, we all live on this planet, the real world.(other dimensions excluded) so to try and take care when you can is fairly important.
If only for future generations, so they can enjoy what we do and not live in a sanitised place only fit for human function.

But i agree with what you say about learning and adjusting.

I apoligize for being a :grandad:

If you like trees then you should sponsor my friend:

I'm raising money for the Woodland Trust (trees and shit) by getting
sponsored to live in the woods / by the river in and around Oxford
without a tent for the next six weeks. To make it more interesting I'm
going to be continuing to work in London looking as smart as possible,
wearing suits and all that kind of thing.

Whilst it would be very nice if you were to sponsor me it would be
equally nice if you were to tell your friends and try to get them to
sponsor me :Smile3:

One of the following links leads to the sponsorship page and the other
to the Blog; neither link will take you straight there, for some
reason they take you to another page and you have to click on the link
again there.

http://www.justgiving.com/ditchmonkey

http://ditchmonkey.blogspot.com/

bear in mind that by putting links on this site to the Forestry Commission/Defra websites the govt webmasters can see exactly where the link came from (although psy-forum is blocked from most of their offices by the websense software)

OTOH for this site it may not particularly be a bad thing. It is clearly shown that many people have a genuine interest in the environment and do not want to cause damage by holding their parties in inappropriate locations...

I recently met someone who averted another highway thru' a forest by finding a very rare taxon - a lichen and being endemic it was a strong case against the proposal to plough thru' it.
Safe to say - stomping feet could ruin the site?

MoonWatcher said:
After the unfortunate business at the weekend concerning parties vs nature, I feel its a good idea to post up some info about woodland and forestry commissions around the UK. I check up on whats occuring every now and then, as I have a love for woods outside of partying too! A lot of peeps think the police/forestry commission made up the butterfly story, but sadly they didnt. But parties ARE wonderful, and you cant experience anything like them anywhere else I feel! So if topical issues and conservation area awareness is more widely avaliable to all we would know any areas which are an obvious no-no for stomping grounds!!

Ive included a couple, but please, anyone who knows of any more in your area add them here!!!

Thanks, Moonie. xxxx

The Forestry Commission - http://www.forestry.gov.uk/
The Woodland Trust - http://www.woodland-trust.org.uk/
English Nature - http://www.english-nature.org.uk/default.asp

Thanks a lot. I've been wanting to get involved in some tree conservation for a while and have now registered as a volunteer for The Woodland trust thanks to you. I am hoping to train with them to become a voluntary speaker to do talks for local groups.

lol, no worries, the reason i had it was because a friend of mine wanted to be a tree surgeon. he felt it was a pipe dream, but int he year ive known him he has managed to conquer his fear of heights, apply to a tree surgery "school" (college hands on course) and is starting his full chainsaw licensed course in september :Smile3: A nice progression for us onlookers! :Smile3: Felt i should pass on the sites and ideas, because not only should we be informed of our stomping grounds true natures and everyday goings on, but its nice to be a part of good causes, even if its just by spreading the word.

All the best with the volunteer work, and good on you! I hope to see you flutin' it up at a party soon like I did at glade! This time ill know to come say hi!! :Smile3: :Smile3:

Hugs :Grin: xxxx

Back