linux music software?

Sturdy Pete

Sturdy Member
Reaction score
well my XP booting hard disk just got a bad sector in the boot disk, so i think it might be time to consider the alternatives.. I've heard that there's a bit more in the way of music apps appearing in linux - does anyone have any reccomendations ?

looking for something along the lines of reason / ableton live rather than a cubase-alike.. mind you if its free + legal i'll give anything half decent a try..

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
You'd be having bad sector troubles no matter what OS you're running, though arguably Linux handles that kind of stuff better when it does encouter them.

Personally, Linux audio software isn't where I need it to be yet, but as soon as it is, I'm so there.

Ardour, Rosegarden and Jack are some of the apps you should be keeping an eye on. Hopefully the day will come when I can do the same! :Grin:

J.

Sturdy Pete

Sturdy Member
Reaction score
nice one.. ardour looks like it might be the one, have to get a linux-wise mate to give a hand getting everthing set up and then away we go!!

and though it isn't there yet, i quite like the idea of being able to make it do what i want.. been getting sick and tired with lack of customisability or changeability which all magically dissapears when you can change the source code and re-compile!

Marc

Scratchadelica
Reaction score
From my brief tinkering the linux stuff is all still in its infancy (although slowly but surely coming along).. From memory ardour is a DaW and rosegarden a sequencer. Ive not used ardour but rosegarden doesnt support vst/rtas, tho i think it does have some of its own machines.

Jack is a pretty much a mixer/router for audio which lets u pipe audio between application using virtual devices which is uber handy although i dont think it supports multiple sound cards easily yet (I think a jack server can only handle one card but it might be possible to run more than one server).

The minute theres usable good stuff for linux im there tbh.. free, decent performance/stability and open source handiness ... its just a matter of how long its going to take for stuff to mature on the platform - especially in a sector heavily influenced by people more interested in how white/shiny/chrome there computer looks rather than what it can actually do.... :Wink3:

peace,
marc