Logic is Being a Poo

Warwick Bassmonkey

Average Sized Member
Reaction score
And I know it isn't Logic's fault, because I've had it stable as anything in the past.

My mate's install isn't proving particularly stable at the mo. He recently had to do a reinstall, and all is not well, and there's a couple of things I'm not sure about.

First, all his Waves plug-ins appear three times each under the DirectSound Menu, as follows....

waves_menu.jpg

I'm sure this isn't normal, is it?

Second, I'm never sure what the settings on the Audio config screen should be. This is the bit I mean...

audio_menu.jpg

The bits I'm not sure about are the "Software Monitoring" (which I'm pretty sure should be off if poss), "Process Buffer Range" and "Large Disk Buffer" and the other bits in the bottom half of the picture.

Anyone with a good working Logic set-up care to tell me what they've got on this dialog box? (Especially anyone with an M-Audio card).

Ta very much in advance.

Oh yeah... symptoms are:

- Random machine reboots when operating on plug-ins (mostly Waves), and so that's why I'm suspicious of them in particular.

- Intermittent audio anomalies, particularly when starting audio playing, unmuting/muting channels. Once playback is going, it is usually fairly OK.

But the main questions are about the audio settings we should have in Logic, and whether the plug-ins should be appearing 3 times each.

As far as the waves plugins are concerned I would check the plugin disabler enabler in logics install directory. Run it and see if there are three of each in that. If so try moving the same two of each to disabled. This may have some effect. If this is not the case try going to the waves directory and running the "Remove DSP Process MS DOS file" this may help. I can't guarantee that any of these ideas will help or even if it may worsen the situation. Can I take it that the waves plugins have only been installed once or uninstalled in-between each installation.

Waves does this, and is the cause of the random reboots you experience. You have to remove the doubles manually in plugin enabler, but be careful, only one of the 3 instances works correctly. You should test them all after removal. I usually remove instance 2 and 3 and keep 1, but i want guarantee that they will all work. Use trial and error to find the working instances :Sad: hope i make sense.. lol

i remember this heppening to me at some point and the same thing - it was instance 1 that was the working plugin

Always run plugin enabler after installing plugins but before launching logic

nomis said:
Waves does this, and is the cause of the random reboots you experience. You have to remove the doubles manually in plugin enabler, but be careful, only one of the 3 instances works correctly. You should test them all after removal. I usually remove instance 2 and 3 and keep 1, but i want guarantee that they will all work. Use trial and error to find the working instances :Sad: hope i make sense.. lol

Agreed.

Had this problem before and that is exactly how I cured it.

psyfi said:
As far as the waves plugins are concerned I would check the plugin disabler enabler in logics install directory. Run it and see if there are three of each in that....

nomis said:

makdaddy said:
i remember this heppening to me at some point and the same thing - it was instance 1 that was the working plugin

Always run plugin enabler after installing plugins but before launching logic

Cheers chaps.. have done the plug-in enabler thing and things look much more normal now. Fingers crossed, no crashes so far.

Can someone tell me, in their opinion, what's the most stable version of Waves currently out there?

I found some info on some of the audio settings too, staring me in the face in the form of an RTF in the Logic program directory....

Please ensure that "Audio > Audio Hardware&Drivers > Larger disk buffer" is enabled in Logic when using "NTFS".

With regards the audio glitches... so far they appear to have been chased away by ditching the latest G450 graphics drivers and switching back to the ones that shipped with XP. The screen redraws are now a bit - actually a lot - more sluggish, but they don't interfere with the audio.

I say "so far", because these things have an annoying habit of pissing off and then coming back just when you are feeling really creative. Well, it seems that way to me anyhow.

Bloody hate computers, me.

i have mostly 5.0 and no probs
(besides what has already been mentioned,
and like Nomis and Ott say these are easily averted
with trail and error use of the plugin enabler)

- only my waves.I.R . is vers 5.1 but thats fine too...

all versions i have tried since vers waves 3.5 have been doing some strange setup things in logic which have all since been similarly solved. (using pluging enabler)

Back