M-Audio FW410 opinions and experiences?

Lazytom

imperialist running-dog
Reaction score
I've had one for a while now and I've had no problems but I've heard loads of people bitching about them.

I'm using Live on my Powerbook and things aren't running quite as smoothly as I think they should... Live struggles with only a few audio tracks, a couple of fairly lightweight soft-synths and a few ping-pong delays.

Could the FW410 be at fault?

PB G4 1GHz, 768mb RAM with LaCie 7200rpm FW hard drives... haven't compared it to built in audio - it should be significantly shitter than with the FW410, right?

Can anyone recommend an alternative? I hear the Presonus Firebox is the bollocks...

Ah - so getting a faster internal HDD will make a difference...?

I'm gonna max out my RAM to 1Gb on Sat when I get paid... and I'm running OS10.4.3

if ur going for firewire go for the firebox never had any problems with it and it is solid built

bez23 said:
Slightly thread-hijackish, but why is MAudio's Delta 10 10LT so cheap?
http://www.dolphinmusic.co.uk/page/shop/flypage/product_id/1161
Anyone got one? Any opinions? It looks sweet. I've 2 external synths to plug in, occasionally record two or three mics at once. This can't be right - whats the catch?

cos the converters are on the pci card inside your pc and so are subject to interference from inside your pc, with the full version the converters are housed in the rack mount breakout box

i know someone who's selling a mint 1010 (proper one, not the light) VERY cheap - drop us pm n i'll fill you in if your interested

Lazytom said:
PB G4 1GHz, 768mb RAM with LaCie 7200rpm FW hard drives... haven't compared it to built in audio - it should be significantly shitter than with the FW410, right?

i'd have thought that having your hard drive(s) and sound card both running off the firewire bus wouldn't be the best idea? maybe go for usb2 hd or just stick with the internal drives, or keeping the fw drives just for storage?

i've got a 410 (running on a powerbook 1ghz 512 ram) and it runs very well...will run various soft synths and fx (and not just the bundled live ones either) plus several audio tracks running off the internal hd and it rarely runs above 25% cpu...

g

~ j ~ said:
yea ive seen ppl bitchin bout that interface n live.

hav u compared the performance to when using the macs inbuilt audio?
what specs r ur powerbook?

Hmmm...I have the 410 firewire and Live crashes all the time with it. Pity...Let's hope M Audio will sort that out in later releases as both are their own products after all!

giorgos said:
Hmmm...I have the 410 firewire and Live crashes all the time with it. Pity...Let's hope M Audio will sort that out in later releases as both are their own products after all!

M-Audio and Ableton are separate companies as far as I know. I think they must either have the same distribution or have licensing agreements with each other to allow them to promote each-other's products.

timewave0 said:
i'd have thought that having your hard drive(s) and sound card both running off the firewire bus wouldn't be the best idea? maybe go for usb2 hd or just stick with the internal drives, or keeping the fw drives just for storage?

i've got a 410 (running on a powerbook 1ghz 512 ram) and it runs very well...will run various soft synths and fx (and not just the bundled live ones either) plus several audio tracks running off the internal hd and it rarely runs above 25% cpu...

g

I'm pretty sure its better to use 7200 rpm FW drives than a 4200 rpm internal drive... My background is in digital video and I've always been told that FW is better for sustained hi-speed data transfer and usb2 is better for short, sharp bursts of data... cos Live streams audio files off the HDD I guess its better to use FW... may be wrong though...

Colin OOOD said:
M-Audio and Ableton are separate companies as far as I know. I think they must either have the same distribution or have licensing agreements with each other to allow them to promote each-other's products.

Ok, thanks for the info! I hope they are going to keep that agreement to promote each other's products then without them clashing with each other...:irolleyes

A lot of companies provide "Lite" versions of software to run on certain manufacturers cards - I got Ableton !Live and Cubase LE with my soundcard but you have to have the recognised hardware to install.

Back