Macbook Pro

A

Andrea

Psilocybo said:
Bastard!!! I only got my G4 powerbook a few weeks ago :Sad:

'You’ve dreamed about it long enough. Now it has a name: MacBook Pro. Powered by a dual-core Intel engine. Up to four times the speed of the PowerBook G4. Eight times the graphics bandwidth'
give it back and ask for the new one?

Warwick Bassmonkey

Average Sized Member
Reaction score
Apparently, on the application performance page for the new processor, it claims the following:

"GarageBand (Software tracks playback) - 2.1x faster"

Ermmm.... don't we want the tracks to play back at same speed as before? :P

jackrabbit

pulse width fay
Reaction score
Have apple lost there design team, it even looks like pc laptop.
Would'nt moan about having one though :iwink:

(jack)

Reaction score
absorbentgnome said:
I'm looking forward to when a version of OS X is out that I can run on my normal PC. With updates etc. Should be soon now the hardware is out :Wink3:

Dunno, here is guessing the (released) OS is tied to the new intel processors, the possibility is there... If you've got a core duo based system then maybe you're in luck, but you haven't, have you?

Sturdy Pete

Sturdy Member
Reaction score
correct me if i'm wrong (know very little about this) but i though the reason mac's wer're preferred for audio work was the better performace per clock speed of the G3/G4 etc processor - rather than any particular features os the OS? (although i know thats supposed to be a bit more stable / less processor hungry..)

JPsychodelicacy

Studio Elf
Reaction score
Sturdy Pete said:
correct me if i'm wrong (know very little about this) but i though the reason mac's wer're preferred for audio work was the better performace per clock speed of the G3/G4 etc processor - rather than any particular features os the OS? (although i know thats supposed to be a bit more stable / less processor hungry..)
Nope,

The reason Macs were and are used in studios primarily was because they were the original platform for Pro-Tools - no more, no less. The amount of FUD that Steve Jobs threw out during those vaunted 'faster per clock' demonstrations* was something Mr. Gates himself would have been proud of. Neither machine is (or has been in the last 5 years or so) inherently superior for audio work. Apple's purchase of eMagic was an attempt to force computer musicians back onto their platform after the PC platform overtook theirs in terms of raw horsepower.

I'd agree that Darwin (the underpinnings of what OSX is built on) is less inherently insecure than NTFS5 (the underpinnings of XP), but both of the OSes have so much cruft added thanks to their respective graphical interfaces that the relative advantages of the underpinnings are cancelled out.

In short, these days you pays your money and you takes your choice. :Smile3:

J.

(* - Jobs used specially-compiled versions of Photoshop with all optimisations for the PPC G3 and later G4 turned on on the Mac version, and all Pentium/MMX/SSE optimisations turned off for the Wintel version)

jackrabbit

pulse width fay
Reaction score
JPsychodelicacy said:
Nope,

The reason Macs were and are used in studios primarily was because they were the original platform for Pro-Tools - no more, no less.
Macs have used more in the creative field because of there ability to handle multiple video/audio files at with ease.

dukas

molecular bio-driver
Reaction score
I reckon Macs are faster because of the operating system and the way the software and hardware intergrates, ie the circuitry and programming is faster and more streamlined.

Reaction score
Macs are crap.
OS updates make all your softawre fuck up...ive been dealing with this issue at the school i work at which is all mac based...students coming up to me with "i updated my mac os and all my plugins dont work"...my answer is always"..mmmm...bad Luck..."

absorbentgnome

Rotting Member
Reaction score
(jack) said:
Dunno, here is guessing the (released) OS is tied to the new intel processors, the possibility is there... If you've got a core duo based system then maybe you're in luck, but you haven't, have you?

When I said 'version' it inferred 'modified' :ilol:
You can already run OS X on SSE3 enabled processors and an Intel motherboard. Plenty of people have has reasonable success with their centrino laptops too.
Some clever bugger will no doubt patch OS X or provide an EFI bios emulation layer or something, so it can be installed.
Whatever the details :irolleyes when it happens i'm gonna have a good go to see what all this OS X business is about. I quite fancy a Vista, OS X and Ubuntu system.