MANTRIX - Universal CD -::SUB ::-

~psy~

Junior Members
Reaction score
MANTRIX - Universalhttp://arabesque.co.uk//index.php?option=com_artistavenue&task=singleCd&id=147&Itemid=1http://arabesque.co.uk//index.php?option=com_artistavenue&task=singleCd&id=147&Itemid=1
label: SUB [Sub-002]

c235466pv_3995.gif

Universal is Mantrix's much anticipated album, featuring nine stunning tracks selected from two years of sonic musical explorations from the Melbourne (Australia) based duo. Encompassing a broad range of flavours it takes Psy-Trance to new and exciting realms whilst always maintaining a powerful compositional flow. 'Universal' features special guest artists such as revered Brazilian percussion outfit Tumba Rumba vocalists such as Madhu Henry and inspirational spoken word messages. 'Universal' has a timeless quality and appeal that can be appreciated by just about anyone. 'Universal' lives up to its title delivering a powerful and enlightening journey. Universal is released through SUB, a sub label of Australia’s pioneering psychedelic label, Psy-Harmonics.

Track Listing
01. Levels
02. Free Your Soul
03. Armageddon
04. Psycorumba
05. Gaia
06. Universal Reflections
07. Alpha Beater
08. Rebirth
09. Spontaneous Existance Part 1
10. Spontaneous Existance Part 2

MANTRIX
Mantrix aka Benjamin Last and Richard Hinkson, are a Melbourne based Psy-Trance duo that have been producing and performing since 1993. With solid musical production foundations, as well as extensive knowledge of musical theory and instrumentation, Mantrix have developed a unique alchemy of live electronic and instrumental performance and composition For the past seven years, Mantrix have toured Australia, performing at the premier open air festivals such as Outback Eclipse, Exodus (05,06), Woodford Folk Festival (05), Rainbow Serpent (99-06), Earthcore (00-05), Earthdance (99-05). Mantrix are known for their dedication to putting on spectacular shows, such as Earthdance Melbourne 2004, where their set included a jam with Australian rock legends, Regurgitator, Tibetan chanting, Indigenous Australian dancers, screaming guitar solos and a stage full of tribal percussion. Mantrix have been known to run their own nights, in which they provide all the music for the whole night, including everything from live ambient performances with middle eastern musicians and vocalists, to live Hard Trance sets and DJing everything from World music, to funky disco sets, to full on Psy-Trance.

The constantly evolving and pumping sounds of Mantrix will rock your universe!

Click Here for more Release info & Audio Samples

Release Date:
May 15th 2006
[World] Distributed by Arabesque

::: Psy-Harmonics / Sub Label / Cyan Music ::::
Australian Psychedelic Electronic Music label group : Distribution service : online shop
www.psy-harmonics.com.au

Review courtesy of Psyreviews

Mantrix are a double-act from Melbourne, Australia who made their name through their live set, fusing organic and electronic sounds into a sound that's more or less Australia's best-kept musical secret. There's a couple of bloody amazing things about this album. First, the production quality; secondly the ballsy oldskool energy running through it; and thirdly, samples that really *should* sound shit and cliched actually work very well indeed. The opening track Levels kicks off with a bread-n-butter bassline before it takes off. There's a fat, adorable midrange riff that keeps you hooked. There's cut up high-end vocals swirling in the background that'll have you thinking, all misty-eyed, about high-moments in trance's history. Free Your Soul sounds so clear it's like the music's happening inside of your own head. Again we're being dragged into the music by the midrange, and the smattering of new age-y vocals and samples is a goan delight.. trust me, it doesn't get cheesy. The central run to this track is staggering .. the sounds layer and get excited all by themselves, the percussion gets tighter and more frantic, and the overall effect is extremely psychedelic. By which I mean extremely. And by which I also mean psychedelic. Armageddon features live guitar, all whipped up into a veritable frenzy. The live sound moulds well into the electronic and while it gets a tad too heavy for my whiteboy ears, the energy is unmistakeable. Psycarumba has no less than five guest musicians, performing brazilian percussion and vocals. The effect here is like dropping acid at Womad and hearing quality goa ringing in your ears all weekend: I don't think I can name a psy track that's got a stronger live-band-feel to it. Gaia takes a shift to the deeper, edgier side of things and the sound here reminds me a little of something Cosmosis might come up with when he's in a bad mood. Universal Reflections is an utter cracker.. the sound is simply vast, spreading right out in front of you. A vocoder gives it a sort of unnerving depth that's balanced by the earthy percussion going on below. It's the kind of track that won't so much as make a dancefloor ignite: it'll make a dancefloor spontaneously combust. The low-set midrange drives it along, keeping everything grounded before escalating it upwards and upwards. Alpha Beater, however, is the utter ripper here. A barking 303, an incredibly psychedelic set of bleeps and whistles, all underpinned by a driving bassline. And, seriously, it's as good as The Infinity Project, as good as Cosmosis, as good as Doof, and it even has a movement and passion that should get the Posford-devotees glazing over like Easter buns. Rebirth is another belter .. it has a deep, fin-de-ciecle feel about it with a whirlwind of dreamtime percussion, subtly-crafted electronic tickles and more energy than a gazillion duracells. Finally, the two parts of Spontaneous Existence give a thundering close to the album. Starting out chilled (and bloody good chill it is too), it goes through 4/4, breaks, before picking up the lysergic quotient nicely. All in all Universal is a f*ing amazing artist album. Psyreviews often bangs on about artist albums lacking direction, flow, or ideas .. all three are in bountiful abundance here. There are some dazzling moments, some real blasts of emotional power, and some ideas and production that border genius. I simply can't bang on about it enough: utterly brilliant.

http://www.psyreviews.com/reviews/april182006.html

should be phat!

from the source :Grin:

extremely phat ....

(is the reply from the sauce )

Bought this last week. Have not had chance to play it enough to put together a useful review but first impressions are that some of it are outstanding and some not so. But overall worth buying for the good tracks. Particularly keen on track 1.

Also loving this album. Track 1 is a corker...but in the coda, does anyone else think the sample repeating is saying "Wanna be alone, when you don't have Marmite"?

No? Just me then. As you were.

The last track(s) is also a belter.

Back