DeathPosture

Fingering.Nuns.On.Mars
Reaction score
Meller - Rockable

cs19831101abig5oo.jpg

Hi-res cover: front + back

Artist: Meller (Germany)
Title: Rockable
Format: CD (jewel case w/12 page booklet)
Label: Tribal Vision Records (Czech Republic)
Cat. #: TVRCD004
Distribution: Psyshop.com
Date: November 2005

Track listing:

01. 06’32†Rockable
02. 07’38†Fatboy
03. 05’46†My Favorite Man
04. 08’34†Phase Nacht
05. 08’17†Aurora
06. 10’28†Rockable (Nasa Remix)
07. 06’43†Fatboy (Rinkadink Remix)
08. 08’44†My Favorite Man (Tegma Remix)
09. 07’30†Phase Nacht (Etnoscope Remix)
10. 08’12†Aurora (Vibrasphere Remix)

.m3u-playlist: http://tinyurl.com/d6ntz (all tracks!)

Review:

Tribalism ^ Tribalism Remixed

Tribal Vision Records from the Czech Republic are out with the second album from German duo Meller… Marco Scherer & Dirk Herrmann (DJ Mel) released their debut album Solar Drums on AP Records in 2004… I haven’t heard that one, so I don’t really know what to expect here… But it’s Tribal Vision – a label that has yet to let me down, and the roster of remix artists are nothing short of impressive… So my hopes are up!

Let me take you thru the tracks…

#01: Rockable [140 BPM]
“Welcome to the future!â€â€¦ The title track breaks open with a cut, futuristic voice sample alongside some spacy percussion and tribal beats… The whole thing is seasoned with a cascade of electro-elements making this a very Schiller-like track… This is perhaps a little too housy but generally pretty harmless… Easily cross-over potent stuff!

#02: Fatboy [140 BPM]
The guys up the ante on the second track which is easily much more forceful than the first track… Darker and more pounding… With a naïve fluffy melody thrown in just to freak you out! Also the haunting, repetitive voice samples are among the best I’ve heard in a while… Very original! Yeah, there’s definitely some experimentation going on here… I really like it! Sweet, sweet track!

#03: My Favorite Man [140 BPM]
“Ladies and gentlemen… Ahhhh I know I'm drunk now, I forgot my favourite man sitting over 'dere, his name is...†This is definitely my fav’e track here… Banging, tribal progressive trance – drenched in bubbling electro sounds and dubby beats! Very, very original… Repetitive yes, but so very hypnotizing too – and funny! The vocal experimentation is so very well-executed… And the only flaw this track has is that it’s too damn short!

#04: Phase Nacht [140 BPM]
This is bleak, progressive night trance… More minimal than the previous tracks, but not minimalistic in the 2001 kinda way… Digital-tribal drums and metallic percussion make out the rhythm section and generally this is a very hypnotic track… The soundtrack to a massive stomp-session! A Blechtrommel style stomp fest! A solid track!

#05: Aurora [135 BPM]
“I feel something wonderful!†We take it down a notch for the last original Meller track… This is deep, groovy progressive trance… Rich in texture and with a wonderful old-school synth-melody… Very familiar in all its floating glory… Would mix well with Antix or 12 Moons I’m sure… Nice track, but a little too generic for my taste… I mean – that final run is too Balearic innit?

#06: Rockable (Nasa Remix) [140 BPM]
And here’s the remix by Danish producer NASA .Mikkel Rasmussen (one half of Gnome Effect) has extended the track notably and completely revamped it… Gone are the most commercial pitfalls, and this is leaning more towards progressive morning trance… A hybrid of fluffy melodies and grittier full-on elements… Without the cheese factor! A very mature and constantly evolving track… I dig it!

#07: Fatboy (Rinkadink Remix) [140 BPM]
Open up and loose yourself! The fatboy is remixed by UK-based South African producer Rinkadink (Werner Van Jaarsveld)… I really liked both his albums, and his unique full-on touch seldom lets me down… And sure enough, this is a tranced-up remix which bears very little resemblance to the original… The sampled has been tweaked even more along with the melodies… Funky, edgy full-on – impressive indeed! I like the original slightly more though…

#08: My Favorite Man (Tegma Remix) [140 BPM]
And now for the Tegma remix… Swedish producers Omar Chelly & Jason Orfanidis released their second album 002: Avant.Garde on Candyflip earlier this year and for me that’s still one of the freshest hybrid-trance albums of 2005… And I’m happy to say that this remix is very similar to the style of that album – the balanced blend of teKknoid progressive trance and melodic, edgy full-on… Add the sweet, sweet flavour from the original Meller track, and you’ve got something close to a winner! Yeah – this remix compliments the original track nicely – and they are equally good!

#09: Phase Nacht (Etnoscope Remix) [140 BPM]
And who better to remix the stomp fest tune than Swedish tribal-trancers Etnoscope? Yeah, the drum-trio consisting of Martin Colin, Rasmus Alanne & Ludwig Engelbert has taken the most obvious rhythm section from the original track and added loads more percussion… This is totally funky and instantly dancefloor friendly… Ancient rituals carried out live in front of a dancing crowd! Another sweet, sweet remix to a sweet original…

#10: Aurora (Vibrasphere Remix) [132 BPM]
And to finish things off we’re treated to a remix by legendary Swedish producer duo Vibrasphere (Rickard Berglöf & Robert Elster)… They’ve taken the somewhat commercial original and fluffed it up even more… But! … They’ve done it with style I reckon, and I simply can’t stay grumpy when listening to this… The beats are a little less well-polished, and the groove-factor has been upped a great deal and I tend to wiggle my toes more to this remix than to the original… A great way to end this remarkable album!

Yes – remarkable is about the best damn label I can give this CD… I really, really like it. The original Meller tracks have some really cool vocal experiments going on… Usually I’d quickly grow tired of repeated samples, but for the most part they work really well in this context… The remix concept is pretty damn cool and for the most part, all tracks are good here… There are no bad tracks at all – and it’s not like the remixes outshine the originals… Not at all – they are equally good! I also like the subtle mix of styles here… This ranges from fluffy commercial beach-trance to banging, electro-ridden psytrance… With everything in between!

The woody artwork is neat, and again Tribal Vision Records treat us to a fat, informative booklet with info on all participating artist – and the usual handy, easy-rip DJ slip is still there… Quality all the way! I strongly recommend this album to fans of progressive trance with rich tribal-, full-on and groove-crossover potential! It’s pretty fucking solid! Enjoy!

Favourites: 2(!), 3(!), 4, 6, 7, 8(!), 9(!)

DeathPosture
em-shodan.gif

External links:
Meller: http://www.meller.de
Tribal Vision: http://www.tribalvisison.cz
Discogs: http://www.discogs.com/release/558206
Wirikuta: http://tinyurl.com/apfw7
Psyshop: http://tinyurl.com/at4b3
Chaos: http://tinyurl.com/dw8dn
Saiko: http://tinyurl.com/dhlw6
Juno: http://tinyurl.com/d32hm

Love everything from Tribal Vision but judging from the samples wasn't that impressed

apart from track 2 of course which sounds astonishingly good; very eerie in a boshke beats fashion

don't know

he ehe ..... I got this last week .... I do like it .... still digesting (anyone got any Rennie's ?)

Track 3 had myself and my friends bouncing like meercats at 03:30 sunday morning. Thats some funkeh electro shit man !

Vibrasphere rmx is also very nice.

At first I wasn't sure about that CD. I got back to it today and realised I enjoy other tracks as well and not only few of the remixes.

Rockable is an intensive techno funky tune, good percussion and synths. Something I would like to groove to on the dancefloor. Fatboy, My Favourite Man and Phase Nacht are very original, analog alike, harsh and kinda funny. They sound not well produced and mediocre. Aurora is the more dreamy one, very nice atmosphere.

NASA Remix is very acidic and synthetic, a good mash up of psychedelic and the more progressive sound. I really love the Rinkadink Remix, this artist is one of the ones I love from the more psychedelic side. Energetic tune, with amazing vocal work as Rinkadink knows how to do. A highlight. Tegma Remix is something to be played on party as well, very massive and fat, cool flanged lead by the end. Etnoscope Remix is tribal like allways, something that carries you inside the forest nights. The last track is my favourite, the Vibrasphere Remix is very uplifting, something to enjoy in the early morning, great work.

Overall its a fresh idea, the remixes are something that most of the usual psychedelic progressive listeners can enjoy, while the originals are definitely matter of taste. The album cover is something I've really enjoyed.

ND
www.prosectorium.com

I just think with the talent gathered in there, it could have been a tad more engaging

apart from that it is certainly fun

Back