Midi interface?

psyfi

Pie Fly
Forum Fun-raiser
Reaction score
Hello everyone. I'm looking at getting my self a midi interface for my PC. Currently I am using my old creative card for midi connection and my Gina 20 for audio. The problem is that my creative card is shit and keeps appearing uninstalled if my PC is moved around or opened up. Which is V annoying and concerning. What I want to ask is which is a good reliable midi PCI or USB interface to get? I have been looking at Emagic MT4s and the Midiman range on ebay but I don't think these are compatible with windows XP. If anyone has any suggestions of which things to keep an eye open for on ebay could you post them here please. Cheers.

hey psyfi, james has a usb midisprt 4 x 4 that he is willing to part with (i think he still has it!)

drop him a pm

ms4x4.gif

makdaddy said:
hey psyfi, james has a usb midisprt 4 x 4 that he is willing to part with (i think he still has it!)

Thats what I use [with Win XP Pro] and I can highly recommend it.

Gibbonflux said:
I use a Steinberg Midex 8 with Cubase SX which supposidly gives better timing. Must say it's been solid, but not much point in getting one if you don't use Cubase though

Same here - good timing with Cubase (uses a special protocol to attempt to compensate for timing drift apparently - LTB I think it's called).

However - still reports of it not dealing with large sysex dumps very well and I don't think Steinberg are ever-so keen on continued support for it.

That doesn't bother me though - any sysex dumps etc., I just use my RME Hammerfall's MIDI interface.

I like having one instrument per output on the Midex though. Reduces latency (better timing) if you don't have multiple bits of hardware on different midi channels on one wire.

MT4 running under XP here.

Probably won't ever be any more driver updates for it, or for future PC-based OS's, but current one seems to work fine.

Thanks for the tips guy's. I didn't want to start bidding on things if I didn't know they would work with my set up. Fingers crossed I will be able to get rid of my erratic creative PCI crap mongering card of doom soon.

makdaddy said:

drop him a pm

ms4x4.gif
Cool. Looks like this baby is going to be mine after Sat. Psyforum to the rescue once again......Cheers Jamez n Mak

Back