Monitors (speakers that is)

Speakafreaka

Champagne Rouletter
Reaction score
I've had it with headphones!

I've just listened to my latest track on speakers for the first time and ugh!

all sorts of weird interactions are taking place between the two channels that I knew nothing about, percussion hits aren't sync'd when I thought they were. In short, it's a mess!

I've got to get some monitors!!! I'm looking to spend around and preferably max of £600 although I could stretch if i saved. If anyone has experience of nice monitors at this price range, I would be interested to know!

Also, any tips on how to compare monitors when I am testing them would be greatly appreciated, because I know I'm not neccesarily looking for the silkiest sounding ones...

I spent a whole lot less (£250) on some Alesis Monitor1 Actives and i'm very pleased with them. I've had to tame the bass a little by stuffing the ports with socks but otherwise they suit me fine. They are known for being a bit bass heavy but i find i now know what to expect (learn your speakers) and i think i would prob overdrive the bottom end otherwise to get the sound i like, so for me they're ideal

yeah I've heard other people who like the Alesis M1's. If you can get some second hand Mackie monitors (HR something or other) that aren't past their sell by date then they would fit the bill excellently. Very good rep. New Mackie HR624's go for £680, so not too far off 600. Still u can get some very nice monitors in the 250-500 region, I like my Samson Resolv 80a's for £250 at Turnkey - very good lower end and have clear sound.

Sax James.

I demo'd some Resolv 65a at the same time as my Alesis and have to say the midrange is really sparkling, the 80a will probably have a nice fatter bottom too (oo-er) but unfortunately couldn't hear some.

the headphones I've got have got a really, really nicce bottom end, but I'm thinking that all this is doing is obscuring the transients of other things.

Looking interesting so far. thanks for advice! keep it coming!

Behringer Truths sound sweet, strong and clear for the price (£300ish)

my advice for when u see a few is take 1 or 2 tracks with u that u know very well how they should sound... and dont let the salesbloke rush u

your mum said:
Look for used HR 824s, they're the shit.

True dat... having said that though I haven't seen even a second-hand pair going any cheaper than £800.

I'm thinking of going for the Yamaha MSP5s - anyone heard a yay or nay with these ones?

J.

Hullo J,

I have some MSP5's. I only compared them with Alesis M1 MkII actives (I think), and the Alesis had a much stronger bottom end, but I personally prefered the Yammy's. I managed to get some 2nd hand ones in the end, and I love 'em.

You gotta A-B some monitors yourself though, it's the only way choose, cos people have their own preference.

In my indie band days, I used to sit in with the engineer for the mixdown (cos I intended to produce our stuff one day) - he was using NS10s, and he pointed out what to listen for and how to separate stuff out - hence my decision to go with Yamaha.

The hi-fi speakers (and amp) that I'm using atm give a nicely-defined bottom end, so lack of that on my reference monitors shouldn't give me too much grief.

Thanks dude!

J.

P.S. Sorry to hear about your bike... :no:

The Alesis are very easy on the ear because of that easy bottom tho' and i've not got tired yet despite long sessions

Hey folks

I use Yamaha NS8, 3 ways and bass reflex. They sound nice but don't think they are as acurate as the NS10s. My first, and only mixdown at the mo sounds ok on them but when I played it at the DMT it appeared too full of bass-end frequencies forcing me to cut about 80% on the mixer's EQ which is strange as I thought the bass reflex works as an enhancer for the bass.

Am I right to think that if I add bass on the amplifier I could get a more acurate mix by adjusting the EQ from the source to cut bass acordingly?

Another point is how important is the amp frequency responce in relation to the monitors? Maybe it also helps to choose the right ones if their is a right or wrong, still personal taste applys me thinks

:sun:

no expert but I think that you need to just learn how your monitors respond to different tunes and frequencies, as in play tunes u know thru them and see what happens. I have found that my Resolv80's (which btw are twice the size of most other monitors, so if you are limited by space then beware. my desk is bunged now!) are bass heavy, meaning that the bass would be too light on say a club system. they are good to check how the bass is sounding but I consciously have to think to make the bass heavier. I might just stuff some socks in the woofers like you say Norty. still I guess if you do make a permanent adjustment on your amp that works for your mixes then that would prob be more accurate than a pair of smelly socks. :blink:

Sax.

Uhhh, smelly socks! My flat mate will come here very handy uhmm, footy I mean :lol1:

I'll have a few tests and learn my speakers, cheers :runsmile:

I'm not sure if they recommend socks but the manual actually advises 'tuning' the speakers in this manner depending on whether there are rear or side walls in close proximity.

I tend to test my tracks against reference tunes that i know sound balanced on big and small systems. You can balance your tune by A->B ing the tracks until the sound is fairly similar. It gives a very good starting point for the mix balance

Back