mono monitoring

OPTOBOT

OPTOBOT
Reaction score
Its the age old bass kick thing,

but this time acoustics.

My room is has shit for bass, i whack up the bass take it into my uni studio and my god it sounds bassy.

All my kicks and bass are in mono, when listen though my mackie mixer they sound ok to me. But, when i turn one channel down (i.e left ot right) suddenly i can hear the bass much more clearly. When the channel is turned back up, the bass disappears and im left confused.

Does anyone know the problem?

I'm confused, if you're running mono bass why are you using 2 channels? The bass/kick should just use a single mono channel panned to the centre. By adding a second channel you're effectively adding +3db to the signal which is why it may be too loud.

right,

the drums and bass are always in mono, i.e when two (stereo) speakers are playing they are playing exactly the same signal.

my output of my puter is out though a mixer, i mix my bass so that it sounds fat.

i then turn the left (or right) channel down on the master mx and suddenly my nicaly mixed bass becomes fucking sooooooooo baaaaassssssssyyyy. I put the channel back and im right back to the nicly mixed bass. This works for the right channel too.

Im pretty sure that it is phasing, its just funny that it was only a few days ago that i was talling a friend that everybody always goes on about phasing but untill i get full on evidence of it i will ingnore, bugger bugger bugger.

The question is, that it doesn't do it on cds, i.e commercial, trance or anything.

so, does that mean that all my bass lines are around the same frequencies? if it does then bugger bugger bugger.

Also what is the point of me buying nice expensive monitors and aa nice sound card if, this problem is going to carry on forever, unless i do anything about it!

PPPPPLLLLLLLLLLLEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAASSSSSSSSSSSEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE.

don't know whether this makes any sense, am quite drunk!!! :hehe:

You might have some classic destructive interference going on, where the low frequencies from the left monitor cancel out those from the right. Factors that contribute to when this happens are: the wave frequency, distance between monitors, and dimensions of room. All your low frequencies bounce around the room, and if two peaks collide, or two troughs collide, you get constructive interference (maybe resulting in boominess or notes that are just way too loud) and if a peak collides with a trough they cancel each other out.

I have similar troubles in my room, and at the moment I get by simply by knowing that I have the problem and that I''m 99% certain I know what's causing it. Problem is limited by keeping my head the right place in relation to monitors when trying to balance the sounds. If I wheel my chair 2 feet over towards the corner of my room, some bass notes just vanish completely.

Some bass traps might help. I keep meaning to get some.

You might also be able to identify the problem frequencies and compensate for them in your own environment. Dial up a simple sine wave on yr synth and work up the scale from the bottom... if some notes stand out lots more than others, or some drop out, then you've got the problem I'm talking about.

cheers mate, i have got more constuctive feedback from this forum than i have from any of my university lecturers!

but then being that i have studied acoustics for about 5 months and deffeinatly worked on destructive interference,

who wasn't listening in class :crazy:

Your speakers are 180 degrees out of phase.

Disconnect the speaker cable from one of your speakers and swap them round - so the one that was in the red speaker terminal goes to the black terminal and the one that goes to the black terminal goes to the red. Only do this on one speaker.

Problem solved.

cheers Ott...I said that before but I assumed that everyone producing would know about phase!!!!

thankyou so much,

im eating humble pie cos i do know about phase, at least that you should correctly wire your speakers.

Always wired them the same way and just realised that this time (moved house a little while ago, it all went wrong.

HUMBLE PIE

a am definatly not worthy

although im sure that i read in a 'studio sos' that a bloke had done excactly the same thing.

but thankyou very much!!! :wo^thy: :wo^thy: :wo^thy: :wo^thy:

theyellowbrickroad said:
The question is, that it doesn't do it on cds, i.e commercial, trance or anything.
I'll be honest and say that this threw me off the incorrectly-wired-speaker trail.

Was that really it then?

im sorry,

but yes it did seem to do it far less on fully mastered music.

my stuff was way out.

again i feel like ishouldn't be here

Back