mood and music

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
Reaction score
I've recently become stuck in the track i'm working on due to a simple reason, which I wonder if any of you share.
I start making a track for a couple of weeks and the mood is dark and bouncy so the beginning of the track has that darker kind of story... but suddenly, my mood changes to a more melancholy mood or a contemplative mood, and i find myself trying to get the story to stay cohesive but wanting to add something more melodic over the top...
Anybody got any tips to counter this mental hurdle? i've spent far too much time on this track to leave it an start something new, but i don't want to spoil it...

Hope you understand what I mean! :Smile3:

Fromem_Ory

Shantidisestablishment
Reaction score
i definitely know what you mean man, its been a while since i made a track over-nite, or at least the bulk of one. its definitely a tricky one, but i think it can give a tune alot of character. will post more tomorow i'm off to bed :Smile3:

Firinne

Just a girl
Reaction score
Yeah, I know that one too well .. sometimes I end up leaving something alone for weeks until I'm in the same mood because it just doesn't sound right. Frustrating, isn't it :sad:

Monkey Do

#1 Internet Toughguy
Reaction score
I'm touching myself as I write this post.
I've not really produced anything for a long time but a lot of years ago when I was on the worst comedown of my life I started making a tune that was so so dark it made Trent Reznors Quake soundtrack seem like "It's a small world" @ Disney land - I was sat in front of a PC with a sleeping bag up to my head and shades on hiding whenever anyone came in the room I was that fkkked...anyway as the tune progressed Urk kept coming in listening to the work in progress and feeding me compliments and generally massaging my shattered ego and things started getting better and better each time until the whole 15 minute epic ended up in total bouncey hard house territory and then finished a total gabba cheesefest.

Very threaputic that was.

O

Ott^

My mood swings every 4 minutes whether I like it or not.

Fucking pain in the arse and the reason why I take so long to finish a tune.

Its also the reason why everything I do is 8 minutes long with a million sounds piled up on top of each other.

Make a virtue of it I say.

nik

Reaction score
i think is a good idea to overlay moods with eachother, it can be more accessible for different people on different moods to listen to it.
alot of artists do stuff like that...take Squarepushers 'Tundra' - hes got a ferocious amen break chopping all over the place with those really superb lush chords over the top.
two juxtoposing moods can together create a wholly unique mood in itself, thats the kind of thing what makes people sit up and say "thats something i aint heard before..."
go for it.

BeatNik

DJohn Mustard Project
Reaction score
Wow.. i'm glad so many people understand this feeling hehe.
Yeah, generally Squarepushers tunes change alot in terms of feeling and drive particularly (one of my favourite tracks ever) Do You know Your Squarepusher...

Hehe, well I may as well continue in my changed mood, and see how the story progresses... :Grin::Grin: