Mood Deluxe - The Tangent Universe [Liquid Records]

Triskele

Korma-kaze
Reaction score
Mood Deluxe - The Tangent Universe

tangentuniverse200.jpg

Release date: June 2006

The Tangent Universe is a super-plex hybrid of an album; a work created with gleeful disregard to musical boundaries and a thoroughly Machiavellian approach to composition. Described as ‘psychedelic breaks/Tripstep’, ‘The Tangent Universe’ is that and a whole lot more.

As an album, it captures and delivers what a new generation of dancefloor stompers are looking for; Combining deep trancey elements and hard hitting breaks with more delicate psychedelic meanderings, Cameron has created a style, that although describable in terms of what’s out there, is it’s own entity and is as fresh on the ears as I’m sure it will be on the dance floor this summer. In quantum mechanics a ‘tangent universe’ is an offshoot of an existing universe that grows from the energy of the primary universe and in formation becomes a separate universe in its own right… the appearance of a tangent universe has many implications however primarily and positively it offers change, revolution and reflection on the status quo… in musical terms this album does the same.

A talented freelance programmer and mastering engineer, Cameron is part of a new wave of artist/DJ’s producing psychedelic dance and dub music under a number of different guises. Alongside his solo and collaborative projects he has also racked up a lot of behind the scenes credits working with some of the biggest names in the mainstream American dance music community.

The extent of Cameron’s diverse musical experience is very much in evidence in this work, with elements from all quarters combining to create ‘The Tangent Universe’. From commercial clubland to the alternative festival fields there’re hints of it all in there… Uncompromising intro’s and sharp exits … head tweaking frequencies, big growling bass lines and solid kicks.. this is high octane music for the boys (that is sure to engage the ladies too!) © Wordsmith, April 2006

CLICK BELOW FOR SOUND SAMPLES

1. Causal Loop (Mood Deluxe Intro Edit)
2. Episode
3. Closer
4. Something Like Remember
5. Phantom Technology
6. The Tangent Universe
7. Zeitgeist (Naked Weapon Mix)
8. The Living Receiver
9. Wrong Way
10. Lucid Juice
11. Amber

TRACK BY TRACK:

Causal Loop (Mood Deluxe edit)
Swift rhythmic scratching and deep squelchy bass create a strong intro over which male and female vocals intertwine the delivery of their message… in this 2 and a half minute intro we are given a flavour and colour of what’s to come.. a deep urban vibe with plenty of attitude, a message and a dose of psychedelic seasoning… bring it on!

Episode
An uncompromising start… so fasten your seatbelt. The vibe of this track is solid and deep with a hint of spaceyness… mid-tempo breaks eased in with expansive pads and seasoned with strong club-vibe vocals… great textured bass action is woven with moog like synths and a driving kick… the overall effect created is that of a mid tempo chiller that has been hijacked by a bigger badder animal!

Closer
A medley of synths open this track, smartly followed by a pacey rhythm and some pretty squelchy bass! Bass frequencies are dark and gritty while the synths and pads are clean and spacious… rhythms are simple as is indeed the formation of the track… but it sounds deceptively fuller and more complex… the reprise is warm and driven – spaceship cruiser style but with a dirty big diesel engine!

Something like remember
Big intro… inter-woven synths build and crescendo to the entrance of another deep squelchy bass. Distorting synths and the bassline of a snoring bear weave in and out of vocal snippets that add a feminine touch to an otherwise pretty masculine sound.. A gentle spacious breakdown decorated with subtle electronic manipulations leads back into a beefy electro-break groove with a clubby vibe…

Phantom Technology
A swarm of electro-insects open this track… frequencies are raised and a wide open space is created… into which is stamped another solid uncompromising bassy break… its simple and slow build, interwoven with manipulated vocal snippets, hypnotically leads to synth sequences that have all the attitude of rock guitar… breakdowns highlight flavours from the trance floor… all of which is wrapped up and tidily delivered as high speed travelling trance-breaks.. hypnotic and well constructed..

The Tangent Universe
This track opens up at a good pace… drum… and bass… but not as you know it! An intricate build of rhythm using both the drums and the synth sequences make for a powerful psychedelic ‘break n bass’ creation. Pads and synth passages open up the track giving the head space to roam while vocal samples from cult film Donnie Darko give a hint of the dimension of the tangent universe …

Zeitgeist (Naked Weapon mix)
Trance ‘a la mood deluxe’ is the order of the day here… driving rythms and a juicy bass are skilfully built upon with the rise and fall of synth sequences, additional drum fills and chopped and distorted vocals. Zeitgeist is a strong 4/4 number which despite its trance floor focus and horizontal drive still manages to retain something melodic in its progression. At around 7 and a half minutes it’s shorter than expected for a trance track and refreshingly so… it arrives strongly, delivers its payload and exits without indulgence! The zeitgeist perhaps?

The Living Receiver
Oh yeah! juicy breaks lead you into more havin’it dance floor action -‘Mood Deluxe style’. This is a head ticklin’, rump rockin’ track with a sophisticated rhythm build; break beat trance that’ll get even the most floor-shy out there shaking their bits! It’s crunchy and gritty with a great progression and not a hint of monotony. Vocal samples are used sparingly and well and as in ‘zeitgeist’ there is apparent but not over-riding melodic passages which contribute to a rich complete sound.. bring on the summer festivals.. I want to hear this on an 80k rig!

Wrong way
The intergalactic ice-cream van is heading your way and so is a big fat cerebral adventure on bass! This is a 4/4 stomper of psychoactive proportions… themes and sequences are built up, introduced and melded in, the production is exact and the journey is at pace.. Hard, dry and relentless but engaging and coloured with its own brand of subtlety!

Lucid Juice
Eerie opening space.. some sort of inter-galactic construction going on… ah.. and there’s that growling bass and clean breaks vibe again … the pace picks up and the mood is dark… this is music for inter-planetary car chasing! Sound bending manipulations keep the head busy while well constructed rhythm sequences challenge your feet to listen. Again trancey elements are rewired into an entirely more rhythmic adventure in breaks… as the themes are built and developed there is a subtle evolution… same car chase, same high performance vehicle… different race tracks!

Amber
Atmospheric pads and an accelerating synth sequence create anticipation in the opening of this track… a mid-tempo trance groove weaves its way through a breaksy rhythm with space and colour created by passing synths. Its nether regions are deep and growling, the bass is pulsing and the simplicity of the pads and synth sequence balance it all out well… the final breakdown is delicate and spacious. A classy finale.

NEWS & REVIEWS:

“Mood Deluxe has taken the best threads and ingredients from so many genres and styles and has woven a tapestry which could very well be the foreshadowing of a new generation of electronic music sound to come... above all, "Tangent" is sexy, surprisingly stimulating, and perhaps even moreso than Liquid's already impressive preceding releases, is sure to strike chords of nostalgia and hopeful inspiration in electronic music lovers from unspeakably many walks of life, and corners of the globe….."The Tangent Universe is amazing, imaginative and way ahead of its time. Undoubtedly this album will be the future influence of DJs and producers the world over, from all walks and genres of EDM life, bounding towards a utopian ideal where musical styles are not disparate, and there is no such thing as Genre... only MUSIC, and of all the albums the reviewer has done this year, "The Tangent Universe" is indeed MUSIC at its finest!†5/5
Axis Mundi – Scene Networks / Mushroom Magazine

"Rock solid breaks overlaid with ruff and tuff basslines, blend somehow seamlessly with proper psychedelic melodies and electronic effectage to prove that it doesn't have to be 4 to the floor to be pounding. My favourite alternative, and so lushly non-generic..."
Chris Organic - Organic Records

"..a breath of fresh air, a bridge between a myriad of dancefloor flavaz!.solid stuff!!"
Gaudi

You can see more about Mood Deluxe including pics, bio, and more here.

Triskele Management | www.triskelemanagement.com |

Related Links
Liquid Records | www.liquid-records.com |

logobbc.jpg

finally managed to hear the whole album unbroken ... wow .. nice one Cam .. some real nice dancefloor psybreaks ... more fof this is needed ... personal favorites include Closer and Amber which ive heard pop into a few psytrance sets now !! excellent stuff ......... a unique piece of work this :Smile3:

xx

Wow :Grin:

Really really excited about hearing this!
All the best and good luck!

easy there

at long last .... after meeting cameron for the first time 6 or 7 years ago ....... finally we have the finnished mood deluxe psy breaks album released through our label ..... nuff respect to the man like cameron ....... really full respect to ya .... this is seriously pioneering music ...... a really evolution in dance music .... moving away from the formuliac rigid structures of the psy trance instruction booklet into unchartered realms, worlds and dimensions never before reached. it is an honour to have you on the label cam ..... and after all these years people are finnally start to appreciate the psy breaks ........ GWAN SOUND BWOY .......SELECTA .... bring on the breaks ......................... x x x tell all ya friends and family about this one ................ it fekkin rocks

jamesx

:iredface::wub:............
cheers guys....so good to finally give birth...
James , Ross, Robin, Rob,Baba, Jeremy: thank you for everything...every-ting.

about 4 years ago I sent James a CD with the first sketchy ideas for a concept in dancefloor psy making use of steppin breaks. Out of all the labels i talked with amd sent music to, Liquid had the pioneering balls to take a chance with something that was different, conceptual and perhaps a bit left of center. It was this initial encouragement and support that fueled me to attempt to suprise myself and the Label.
No boundries. No Fear...no agenda, i just let the project manifest itself organically.

theres is no doubt that without Liquid there would be no Mood Deluxe.....i am forever gratefull:iyes:...

)

Bling Bling
xxx
Cam

Been checking the samples this afternoon... @ work....

kept me well entertained! :Smile3:

loving the stylee... this is on my purchase list for sure! :Wink3:

Well excited about getting me greasy mits on this! The live set at the Liquid party was awesome! :Smile3:

Every time I have seen Cam he has been awesome...really into his sets and getting the crowd movin! Nice work Cam and lookin forward to a summer full of even more fab live appearances!

Can't wait to go out and buy this one!!!!!

I've heard this chap play out a few times and its kicked arse!!! These grooves do more to my legs than any four-to-the-floor stuff has done in ages!!!

Looks like those Liquid boys have been busy, that Slackbaba's shit hot too!

at last the waiting is over.......

MOOD DELUXE - The Tangent Universe is now available for purchase online and in shops worldwide. This CD has hailed many stong reviews and is definately one that should be on the top of your wish list !!

Is it? Arabesque's site says its not out until the 3rd. Where can i get a copy now? Can't wait to hear this one!!!

Back